Esperanto of Cuisine

Topics that can go away
Nachtswalbe

Esperanto of Cuisine

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Basically, an attempt to create a cuisine that would function as an auxiliary (or replacement*, according to some) to existing national cuisines.
The Esperantist movement, which was active even in the early 20th century in East Asia (Japan and Korea), Europe and America, could serve as the vehicle for this.

In terms of ingredients:
1) Those common to many cultures - for example dairy could be excluded due to its absence in East Asian cuisine, soy products likewise due to absence in Western food
2) Those not religiously taboo among major religions - beef, pork and shellfish would be de-emphasized in favor of poultry (most likely chicken) and fish
3) those spread by the Columbian exchange (wheat, chilis, corn, chocolate)

In terms of cooking methods - common ones like baking, pan-frying, boiling, stewing

What would this attempt at a common-denominator-among-commonly-consumed-cuisines look like?
Travis B.

Re: Esperanto of Cuisine

Post by Travis B. »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:53 pm What would this attempt at a common-denominator-among-commonly-consumed-cuisines look like?
I for one know that I wouldn't want to eat it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:53 pmWhat would this attempt at a common-denominator-among-commonly-consumed-cuisines look like?
The CHON burgers from Frederik Pohl's Heechee Saga.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:01 pm
Nachtswalbe wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:53 pm What would this attempt at a common-denominator-among-commonly-consumed-cuisines look like?
I for one know that I wouldn't want to eat it.
dunno man they could possibly make something good with the above requirements
xxx

Post by xxx »

It's more like a Newspeak of cuisine (which reduce lexicon according to ideologies)
than an Esperanto of cuisine (which can be used by everyone)...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Seems to me if the goal is a "universal" cuisine, then the logical strategy is to eliminate the most common allergens and taboos. This would mean not just dairy and soy, but also wheat (because celiac disease is widespread in many areas), peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and shellfish. Actually, a strong case could be made for eliminating meat altogether, though that might be a bridge to far for many. Restricting the range to fish and poultry would work most everywhere in the world. (Taboos on eating fish do exist, but they're rare compared to taboos against eating pork, beef, dogs, horse, or insects.)
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Let's see what would be left
- Staples: potatoes, corn, rice and to a lesser extent cassava, plantains etc (in tropical regions)
- Vegetables: most vegetables although commonly produced ones like tomatoes, onions, (chili and green) peppers, spinach, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflowers, eggplant would be favored
- Legumes: common bean, - possibly lentil, chickpea
- Meat: fish, chicken and poultry
- Fruit: bananas, watermelons, apples, oranges, grapes
- Herbs/Spices: salt, black pepper, chili, garlic, possibly mustard - not too sure about herbs although cilantro might make it
- Sweeteners: sugar, honey
- Other: chocolate, coffee, tea

Does that work as a base list?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:03 pm Does that work as a base list?
Kinda sounds like you're reinventing Middle Eastern cuisine.

How about the Lojban of cuisine? Something characteristic of every culture, put together in such a way that three quarters of it looks like it's from another planet.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

zompist wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:10 pm

How about the Lojban of cuisine? Something characteristic of every culture, put together in such a way that three quarters of it looks like it's from another planet.
Something like "Flying Jacob" casserole which combines bananas, chicken breast, curry powder, cream, hot sauce, peanuts, Italian dressing and bacon?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:03 pm - Meat: fish, chicken and poultry
Um like what do you think chicken is?
masako

Post by masako »

zompist wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:10 pm
I would have said something closer to South Indian.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

Wouldn't the Esperanto of cuisine just be Italian food cooked using Polish methods and with a few token dishes from other European countries cooked in haphazard ways?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The Esperanto of cuisine is real and I have eaten it. It's Saudi kabsa. You put rice, bone-in chicken, and a surprisingly small amount of spices in a pressure cooker for a while, then pile it up on a plate. It's the most "just trying to get this over with" meal, especially when you eat it constantly because you live in a country with, like, four foods. If you've ever had kabsa in the West, it was probably Lebanese or Jordanian or something, and those people know how to cook food with flavor and texture. Saudi kabsa is the cultural equivalent of those insect-jellies they eat in Snowpiercer.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Imralu wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 am Wouldn't the Esperanto of cuisine just be Italian food cooked using Polish methods and with a few token dishes from other European countries cooked in haphazard ways?
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MOCK GOD
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This reminds me, back when I was a very weird teenager on my way to becoming a very weird adult, I experimented a couple of times with eating sauerkraut with chopsticks.
masako

Post by masako »

Raphael wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:02 am This reminds me, back when I was a very weird teenager on my way to becoming a very weird adult, I experimented a couple of times with eating sauerkraut with chopsticks.
If I had ever seen you do this in person, I'd've held you down and called for emergency mental health professionals.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:02 am This reminds me, back when I was a very weird teenager on my way to becoming a very weird adult, I experimented a couple of times with eating sauerkraut with chopsticks.
That makes sense to me, especially if you eat it directly from the jar. (I generally sauté or braise my sauerkraut before eating.) This is how my first boyfriend used to eat kimchi, which is essentially Korean sauerkraut.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am
That makes sense to me, especially if you eat it directly from the jar. (I generally sauté or braise my sauerkraut before eating.) This is how my first boyfriend used to eat kimchi, which is essentially Korean sauerkraut.
I mean, I'm not German-German, but I'm an American of German descent and that's probably the closest to a culture I have outside of "White", and I think it's perfectly fine. It should be no harder than eating noodles with chopsticks I'd think. Maybe I should do this at New Year to see if it bugs anyone on mom's side of the family... :lol: :roll:
A cat and a linguist.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I've never heard of eating sauerkraut straight out of the jar; I'm used to it being in or on things, such as in Reuben sandwiches or on a bratwurst, or at least as a side dish for something else.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Next you're going to tell me you've never heard of anyone eating mayo directly out of a jar either.