Conlang fluency thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Travis B.

Re: Conlang fluency thread

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:18 am I recently saw this video on Youtube, which compares the various modern Germanic languages using a somewhat contrived text, and I thought it would be fun to translate the text in Fake Germanic.

Kalt wintar is nehwa, snajwa-sturmas skales koman. Komet ine mynar warmar husar, myna frijon. Welokomet! Komet dywar, singet anda lajket, etet anda drinket. Dyswysam bidenkana. Wy haban watnam, byram anda melkar bys nyja fra kowar. A, anda hajta sasem.

The cold winter is near, a snowstorm will come. Come in my warm house, my friend. Welcome! Come here, sing and dance, eat and drink. That is my plan. We have water, beer and milk fresh from the cow. Oh, and warm soup!

The Fake Germanic follows the original pretty closely, except for the (very weird) "that is my plan", which I translated as "this (I) thought up", and I translated "warm soup" with "hot soup", which made more sense to me.

JAL
There is a minor mistake on that Fake Germanic - its "koman" should be "kweman", as is attested in OHG.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
jal

Post by jal »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:09 pmThere is a minor mistake on that Fake Germanic - its "koman" should be "kweman", as is attested in OHG.
There is no mistake - it's Fake Germanic, not Actual Germanic, so I can choose whatever I want :D. That said, Lyubotski says "A strong verb with two ablauting variants, viz. *kweman- and *kuman-". I might've picked "kuman" instead of "koman" (though the o is present in many daughters), dunno why I didn't, it's been a while since I added that entry to my glossary.

JAL
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:09 pmThere is a minor mistake on that Fake Germanic - its "koman" should be "kweman", as is attested in OHG.
There is no mistake - it's Fake Germanic, not Actual Germanic, so I can choose whatever I want :D. That said, Lyubotski says "A strong verb with two ablauting variants, viz. *kweman- and *kuman-". I might've picked "kuman" instead of "koman" (though the o is present in many daughters), dunno why I didn't, it's been a while since I added that entry to my glossary.
Wouldn't *kuman- >koman- happen through a-umlaut, now that I think of it (remember, PGmc had no short *o, and much of the cases of /o/ in later Germanic were due to a-umlaut of *u)?
xxx

Post by xxx »

jal wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:35 pm
There is no mistake - it's Fake Germanic, not Actual Germanic, so I can choose whatever I want :D.
j¯½j¯­²h¾²h¼Oj¯­Qa¯Oh¼h­ÁVQ
(this thing very experienced by words of mine and (which) not experienced before by all and me not saying them before...)
this is the case in 3SDL where words do not exist before they are spoken...
jal

Post by jal »

And in Fake Latinic:

Iempo frigo preste es, uento niuis uenitat. Uene in mi dome calide, mi amico. Salue! Uene preste, cante e salte, ede e bibe. Ile mi consolatura es. Abeos acuam, ceruesam e laktam nouam ab uacam. O, e bulaturam calidam!

JAL
jal

Post by jal »

Ok, Sajiwan, then I'll stop :).

Kol winta atan, sno gel a go ric. Kom wok ina mi wohm os, mi fwen. Welkom! Wok de ya, sing an dans, it an dwink. A dis mi optu. Minu af wota, biya an milk ray kom ko. O, an ot sup!

JAL
xxx

Post by xxx »

çµ®±QP·x®±SεPPPj½C®n®USÃÛ·°i½Pçµ°®Px®±wÃJj½Pi½Pi²®SC°®mj½5®S滋µPPæ»4°¿æPPPÎRÁPæ»x°®K°¿í²‪°Pçµ°®

(unwarming arriving and above going to give white and you going necessarily to house of me and heated and giving smile to you and me and going to shout and move on it and drinking water and liquid seen as piss and milk not passed and liquid given by grinded plants heated...)
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

The tjâud vunter es niâch, oa snoubloys sjouw komme. Kom in my veurrem ûs, my vrêun. Velkom! Kom thê fuyr, sing en douns, uyt en drink. That is my plan. V'au votter, biôr, ən meullek nîew ef the kuw. Ai, en at sûp.
[ðə tʃæu̯d vʊntər əs njæːx, ə znɔu̯bləi̯s ʃɔu̯ kɔmə || kɔm ɪn mi vʌrəm uːs mi vrʌːn || vɛlkɔm || kɔm ðɛ fɨr | zɪŋ ən dɔu̯ns | ʊi̯t ən drɪŋk || ðat ɪz mi plan || vɑu̯ vɔtər bjoːr ən mʌlək nɨːw əv ðə kuː || ai̯ ən at zuːp]
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
xxx

Post by xxx »

j¾n¸è¶±¯²\RWj¾6Àܸ±€Äj¾
(my position not becoming refreshed and me eating outside house of me...)
here the weather is still not cooling down, and I'm eating outside
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:21 pm The tjâud vunter es niâch, oa snoubloys sjouw komme. Kom in my veurrem ûs, my vrêun. Velkom! Kom thê fuyr, sing en douns, uyt en drink. That is my plan. V'au votter, biôr, ən meullek nîew ef the kuw. Ai, en at sûp.
[ðə tʃæu̯d vʊntər əs njæːx, ə znɔu̯bləi̯s ʃɔu̯ kɔmə || kɔm ɪn mi vʌrəm uːs mi vrʌːn || vɛlkɔm || kɔm ðɛ fɨr | zɪŋ ən dɔu̯ns | ʊi̯t ən drɪŋk || ðat ɪz mi plan || vɑu̯ vɔtər bjoːr ən mʌlək nɨːw əv ðə kuː || ai̯ ən at zuːp]
Lemme guess - alternate history Germanic-lang? The combination of features it has makes it not likely to be descended from any extant Germanic language.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:14 pm Lemme guess - alternate history Germanic-lang? The combination of features it has makes it not likely to be descended from any extant Germanic language.
English expands earlier and is displaced by French in the Norman Conquest, leaving the present day with a variety of Anglic minority languages, such as this one south of the Landsker line in Wales.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

T'iddol baraq iššaxetahan.
Yesterday, there was a lot of bushfire smoke.

Mohon aaž ga biya viž ukkaleš t'ittenuwaxapodiž žeg äqqu qeuninyouh.
I think the fires are going to get worse this summer because it's El Niño.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
jal

Post by jal »

Imralu wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:24 amI think the fires are going to get worse this summer because it's El Niño.
El Ninyo sem nohml weda ina fyuca.
El Niño is like the normal weather of the future.

JAL
xxx

Post by xxx »

í»´ìÁs½‰¶oÃ\í»´~´·‡½~¸¹´`S¸¹º;´h¶
(warming of water of country of me this warming giving now the sky giving much rain swallowing all...)
in my country, warming seas are currently causing major flooding...
Last edited by xxx on Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxx

Post by xxx »

îûÆK¶ÊZu¿‡ËqÅ
(this many water not having run position of house mine...)
my house escaped the flood...
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

jal wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:42 am
Imralu wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:24 amI think the fires are going to get worse this summer because it's El Niño.
El Ninyo sem nohml weda ina fyuca.
El Niño is like the normal weather of the future.
Hem uppasifikap ga mo tuluk ixxedeš das wotteg issod täb issoŋ.
hem
topic
uu=pasifik-ap
DEF.R1=Pacific-south
ga
FUT.INEVITABLE
mo
continue
tuluk
swing
ii=xxed-eš
DEF.R5=hot-ABSTR
das
source
wo=teg
and=destination
ii=s-od
DEF.R5-location-east
täb
same
ii=s-oŋ
DEF.R5-location-west

The heat of the South Pacific will continue to oscillate from east to west.

Tu men äbbätü ga biya ŋa laninyaq waŋ ittoš ŋul iit kavu ga biyaq uŋŋi qeuninyoq, .
tu
surprisingly
men
true
ää=ba-tü
DEF.SR=very-PROBABILITY
ga
FUT.INEVITABLE
b<iy>a
very<INCEP>
ŋa
HAB
laninyaq
La.Niña
waŋ
general
ii=toš
DEF.R5=scope
ŋul
selfsame
ii=t
DEF.R5=time
kavu
but
ga
FUT.INEVITABLE
b<iy>a-q
very<INCEP>-CTVZ
uu=ŋi
DEF.R1=event
qeuninyoq
El.Niño

In fact, La Niña will probably become more dominant, generally, with El Niño events becoming more extreme.

Täb ullaninyaq bätü ga biyaq uu kqa ŋel uqqeuninyoq.
täb
same
uu=laninyaq
DEF.R1=La.Niña
ba-tü
very-PROBABILITY
ga
FUT.INEVITABLE
b<iy>a-q
very<INCEP>-CTVZ
uu
DEF.R5
kqa
not
ŋel
unique
qeuninyoq
DEF.R5=El.Niño

La Niña will probably also strengthen, not only El Niño.

Kwaš illež.
k<w>aš
become.complicated<PRF>
ii=lež
DEF.R5=situation

It's complicated.
Last edited by Imralu on Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

xxx wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:09 pmmy house escaped the flood...
Melets aaž hem iddal.
I'm glad to hear that.

Ha welonuul iyyukeih?
Are you in the UK?
________
xxx

Post by xxx »

rÆ|ÀïÄØÀ″¹
(me beside of water in the middle of land...)
I'm next to the sea in the middle of the land...
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

The cold winter is near, a snowstorm will come. Come in my warm house, my friend. Welcome*)! Come here, sing and dance, eat and drink. That is my plan**). We have water, beer and milk fresh from the cow. Oh, and warm soup!

Tautisca:
Nu sa hímu golta’s praica, naifina torma abbussít. Abbun tun domun formun mai, prín mai! Nu hostis mai ar! Cér abbun, con, sollí, és, pib! To mai prodecai. Wit nus santis wodor, póti sam molcaf buwo cantaf. Ó, attu yúr formun.
PRTC ART-F.SG.NOM winter-SG.NOM cold-F.SG.NOM be-3SG.PRES.ACT.CLIT near-F.SG.NOM, made.of.snow-F.SG.NOM storm-SG.NOM come-3SG.PROSP.ACT. Come-SG.PAST.IMPV ART-M.SG.ACC house-SG.ACC warm-M.SG.ACC 1SG-DAT, friend-SVOC 1SG-DAT! PRTC guest-SG.NOM 1SG-DAT be-2SG.PRES.ACT here come-SG.PAST.IMPV, sing-SG.PRES.IMPV dance-SG.PRES.IMPV eat-SG.PRES.IMPV drink-SG.PRES.IMPV! that-N.SG.ACC 1SG-DAT propose-1SG.RES.ACT. For 1PL-DAT-CLIT be-3PL.PRES.ACT water-SG.NOM beer-SG.NOM with milk-SG.INSTR cow-SG-ABL fresh-F.SG.INSTR. INTJ and soup-SG.NOM warm-N.SG.NOM.
*) Lit.: You are my guest. **) Lit.: That I have proposed to myself.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:23 pm The cold winter is near, a snowstorm will come. Come in my warm house, my friend. Welcome! Come here, sing and dance, eat and drink. That is my plan. We have water, beer and milk fresh from the cow. Oh, and warm soup!
Lomod uttenuwaxin weddog. Ga qalumotsaŋedareg aii. He šiyem ool taig ibbanuuž wemmaham, ya gwaŋ o niiž. Hož älliž oo. He liyiž oo, lazam wodduwuduh aaŋ, tuwem aaŋ. Diž ii hoq aaž. Wel ibban, san aii, gumaz aii, tsam wettsi tiyan e lamag aii. Ta! Vusuk wemmaham aii täb ii.

Lomod uttenuwaxin weddog.
lom-od
near-east
uu=t-e-n<uw>ax-in
DEF.R1=time-LK2-photosynthesise<CAUS>-north
wee=dog
EQ=cold

The cold winter is near.
Literally: The time of the northern photosynthesisifier (= sun being in the north), which (time) is cold, is nearby to the east (= future).
— Phenotypical Balog can photosynthesise, hence the root nax "photosynthesise" being such a basic word. The sun is the cause of this, so nuwax.
— Really, winter is unknown, however the seat of power of the Balog empire is slightly south of the equator, meaning the closest thing to winter is when the sun is in the north, although all this really means is that it rains slightly less as the sun takes the intertropical convergence zone with it.
— East represents the future because that is not only the direction the sun and everything else in the sky comes from, but also the direction from which the prevailing winds and most weather systems come.

Ga qalumotsaŋedareg aii.
ga
FUT.INEVITABLE
qalum-o-tsaŋ-e-d<ar>eg
rain-LK1-white-LK2-hill<AUG>
aii
NSPC.INAN

There will be a snowstorm.
Literally: There will be rain which is the white stuff of mountains.
— Snow is only known as the whiteness visible on the peaks of high mountains, so it's known as tsaŋedareg "mountain white" or daregužed "mountain clothing/cover".

He šiyem ool taig ibbanuuž wemmaham, ya gwaŋ o niiž.
he
JUSS
š<iy>em
inside<INCEP>
oo=l
DEF.R3=2S
taig
contain
ii=ban-nuu=ž
DEF.R5=house-AL=1S
wee=maham
EQ=warm
ya
VOC
gwaŋ
respected.equal
o
LK1
nii=ž
INAL=1S

Come into my warm house, my friend.

Hož älliž oo.
hož
good
ää=l-i-ž
SR=LOC-PROX-1S
oo
DEF.R3

Welcome!
Literally: It's good that you're near me.

He liyiž oo, lazam wodduwuduh aaŋ, tuwem aaŋ.
he
JUSS
l-<iy>-i-ž
LOC-<INCEP>-PROX-1S
oo
DEF.R3
lazam
sing
woo=duwuduh
and=dance
aa=ŋ
DEF.R2=2+1
t<uw>em
be.consumed<CAUS>
aa=ŋ
DEF.R2=2+1

Come here, sing and dance, eat and drink.
Literally: Come here, we (shall) sing and dance, we (shall) consume.
— Exhortations of the listener to partake in an activity with the speaker are generally expressed with 1st person inclusive forms.

Diž ii hoq aaž.
d-i-ž
DEM-PROX-1S
ii
DEF.R5
ho-q
FUT.INTENDED-CTVZ
aaž
DEF.R2

That is my plan.
Literally: It is this (by me). I intend.

Wel ibban, san aii, gumaz aii, tsam wettsi tiyan e lamag aii.
wel
DEF.R5=house
san
potable.water
aii
NSPC.INDEF
gumaz
cider
aii
NSPC.INDEF
tsam
milk
wee=tsi
EQ=REC.PST
t<iy>an
outside<INCEP>
e
LK2
lamag
tapir
aii
NSPC.INDEF

In the house, there is water, cider and milk fresh from the tapir.
Literally: In the house, there is water, there is cider, there is milk that recently exited the tapir.
— There is no barley, no hops and no cattle. The equivalent of beer is fruit wine, cider. Tapirs are the largest domesticated livestock.

Ta! Vusuk wemmaham aii täb ii.
ta
oh.I.forgot
vusuk
soup
wee=maham
EQ=warm
aii
NSPC.INDEF
täb
same
ii
DEF.R5

Oh, there is also warm soup!

I can't be entirely sure, but my language doesn't seem to be Germanic. 🤔
________