Dekuvren is here at last

Conworlds and conlangs
alice

Dekuvren is here at last

Post by alice »

I say "at last" because its been in the pipeline for years, but only now that my vocabulary-and-sound-change program is usable have I been able to get on with it. As a reminder, it's derived from Bogo-Germanic and replaces the older "Dekavurian" in my conworld as the analogue of Vulgar Latin from which several Romance-flavoured conlangs will be descended. It's therefore not the most exciting conlang you'll ever encounter, and it's hardly a patch on Zompist's, but you'll hopefully find some fun bits in it nonetheless.

You'll find the PDF here; I've tried to write it so that, with the obvious caveats, it wouldn't look out of place in a comparable survey of individual Germanic languages, but I'll leave it to you to decide how successful I've been :D This kind of endeavour does rather fry the brain, though, and I'll greatly appreciate feedback about areas where something is missing or unclear. And while I don't expect anyone to actually read the whole thing from front to back, dutiful readers who uncover inconsistencies or mistakes will be amply rewarded with an example in the section on syntax.

Finally, I trust that my fellow conlangers will appreciate that in such a bogolang it's not easy to avoid the unforgivable solecism of generating occasional accidental resemblances to English.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
WeepingElf

Re: Dekuvren is here at last

Post by WeepingElf »

This is an interesting language - a Germanic language that has taken on some Vulgar Latin features. Is the idea to create bogolangs by applying sound changes of Romance languages to Dekuvren?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
masako

Post by masako »

Very impressive. Thank you for sharing this project. It's obvious you put quite a bit of hard work into it.
alice

Post by alice »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:06 pm This is an interesting language - a Germanic language that has taken on some Vulgar Latin features. Is the idea to create bogolangs by applying sound changes of Romance languages to Dekuvren?
I'm surprised that you, of all people, need to ask this - you always seemed very interested in my conlangs :D But that's the idea, yes; the ultimate intention is to create words which are familiar-looking but also a bit strange, like you're somewhere where they speak a related but non totlaly intelligible dialect.
masako wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:01 pm Very impressive. Thank you for sharing this project. It's obvious you put quite a bit of hard work into it.
Thankyou! Quite a bit, yes; it's a relief to be able to stop for a bit.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Yes, I remembered (or thought I remembered) that that was your plan, but you could have changed your plans in the meantime - after all, it is several years ago since you took your old grammars down.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages