'Natural', 'chemical', and such

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: 'Natural', 'chemical', and such

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:31 am
zompist wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:32 pm(And of course the usual caveat about food science news: things always over-simplify on the journey from the lab to the newsroom to the consumer. We probably shouldn't demonize "processing" per se.)
That, and 180° reversals are depressingly common. I was raised to be ultravigilant about fats (especially animal fats) and encouraged to fill up on cheap balloon bread with cinnamon sugar, and now the conventional wisdom is that sugars and simple carbs are far worse for you than animal fats. Just last night I had to break it to a friend recovering from food poisoning that the BRAT diet is no longer recommended by physicians as there's very little evidence that it works.
Because of this kind of thing, my parents, who are in their sixties, are now skeptical of all studies that come out about diet, one way or another...
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:31 am That's not to say that I expect a bombshell report tomorrow saying that we'd all be healthier if we dumped our kombucha and went back to drinking real Coca-Cola, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that something we currently think of as fairly innocuous turned out to be much worse than previously thought and something touted as beneficial turned out to out to have little positive effect.
I have this picture in my head of the disposal of 55 gallon drums full of kombucha as if they were PCB's or something...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.