Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Natural languages and linguistics
mèþru

Re: Pronunciations you had to unlearn

Post by mèþru »

In that case treat it as Old Norse.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I may have posted this to the other thread but for years I metathesised bowdlerise to boulderise. I still have to think about how to say it almost every time.
Vlürch

Post by Vlürch »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 amI may have posted this to the other thread but for years I metathesised bowdlerise to boulderise. I still have to think about how to say it almost every time.

I've always read it as *bowlderise. Every single time I've seen it. Whenever I've heard it, I've just taken it as if it was that and never paid any attention to it actually not being that. I even had to read your post a couple of times to see where the metathesis was... :? I'm not even dyslexic... or at least I haven't been diagnosed. This has happened with so many words so many times, though, that I've already been questioning whether I could actually have some mild form of dyslexia for years.

EDIT:

Also replying to this because it's also bowly:
Ars Lande wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:37 pmhyperbole
I simply refuse to pronounce it as anything other than /haɪ̯pəboʊ̯l/ because "hyperbowl" sounds cute, even after learning (in the "how do you pronounce X" thread on the old forum) that it's wrong. Not that I'd say it often, or ever really, or even speak English much, but... the point is that it'll always be hyperbowl to me.

PS: I've also realised that I'm somehow becoming less rhotic as my overall pronunciation improves... not sure what that's all about.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

debacle. I used to say it with initial stress, i.e. /ˈdehbəkəl/.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I say it with an initial stressed reduced vowel.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I used to pronounce velar as [ˈvɜːɰʁ̩(ː)].
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Aftovota

Post by Aftovota »

[ˈsɪfn̩] or [sɪˈfɑn] for <siphon> (expected: [ˈsaɪfn̩]). My family had fun with that one.
Formerly Lepidus, Αυτοβοτα
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm I used to pronounce velar as [ˈvɜːɰʁ̩(ː)].
me too. Between myself and others here, I've seen mispronunciations for labial, alveolar , velar, and uvular. Labial with /æ/, alveolar with 3rd syllable stress, velar with short e, and uvular without the /j/.
jal

Post by jal »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pmme too.
Ditto. Same for velum.
uvular without the /j/.
Isn't that a generic American thing?

JAL
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

jal wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm
Pabappa wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pmme too.
Ditto. Same for velum.
I've always heard short /e/ in velum, and Wiktionary lists both pronunciations.
uvular without the /j/.

JAL
No, generally we only yod-drop after a palatalized /t d k g s z/.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

jal wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm
uvular without the /j/.
We have yod-deletion in a lot contexts but not generally after /v/, if that's what you're asking.

I was thinking yesterday about my pronunciation of Birne, which in Standard German is something like [bɪɐ̯nə]. Since it's weird for me to have a diphthong beginning with [ɪ] I used to raise this to [i] or lower it to [e]. I didn't think about what I was doing until my acting teacher in Germany gave me a hard time about it.
jal

Post by jal »

Zaarin wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pmNo, generally we only yod-drop after a palatalized /t d k g s z/.
I recall it being dropped in "new" as well?
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pmWe have yod-deletion in a lot contexts but not generally after /v/, if that's what you're asking.
Ok, thanks.
Zaarin wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pmI've always heard short /e/ in velum, and Wiktionary lists both pronunciations.
You're right, which makes it even more remarkable that "velar" doesn't have it.

JAL
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

jal wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm
Zaarin wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pmNo, generally we only yod-drop after a palatalized /t d k g s z/.
I recall it being dropped in "new" as well?
...I forgot some dialects have one there. :oops: Maybe more generally we drop them after coronals (+ palatalized k g)?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Some people here have restored /ju/, or shall I say, [i̯ʉ] or even [i̯y] in words like new and stupid through fronting and breaking of /u/ after a coronal.
Last edited by Travis B. on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pm I was thinking yesterday about my pronunciation of Birne, which in Standard German is something like [bɪɐ̯nə]. Since it's weird for me to have a diphthong beginning with [ɪ] I used to raise this to [i] or lower it to [e]. I didn't think about what I was doing until my acting teacher in Germany gave me a hard time about it.
I often have trouble with Standard German /ɪ/ because, as my native "/ɪ/" is really [ɘ] and I have no native [ɪ] except before /r/ (where then I think of it as an allophone of /i/), I would raise Standard German /ɪ/ to [i], and, as I do not really think of vowel length as anything other than a consonant contrast, I would merge it with Standard German /iː/.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm Some people here have restored /ju/, or shall I say, [i̯ʉ] or even [i̯y] in words like new and stupid through fronting and breaking of /i/ after a coronal.
I have heard that pronunciation of stupid before.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

I meant the first u. "Oovular", I only saw it because it was written "an uvular stop". Probably he got the second u still correct. Also lapis, from the other thread, which I've been thinking was /ei/, butve never said out loud.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Pabappa wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm I meant the first u. "Oovular", I only saw it because it was written "an uvular stop". Probably he got the second u still correct.
Are you sure the person wasn't British? British style uses "an" before /h/ and words written with a vowel but pronounced with /j/.
Estav

Post by Estav »

Zaarin wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm
Pabappa wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm I meant the first u. "Oovular", I only saw it because it was written "an uvular stop". Probably he got the second u still correct.
Are you sure the person wasn't British? British style uses "an" before /h/ and words written with a vowel but pronounced with /j/.
As far as I know, there is no common style of English that uses "an" before words written with a vowel but pronounced with /j/. I have heard scattered reports of this usage, but I don't know of any style or usage guides that countenance it.

And I think the use of "an" before /h/ is not restricted to British style: there are also Americans who do this, although I think it is unpopular (in both the US and the UK). From what I understand, an + /h/ is usually only accepted as a "valid" (if eccentric) variant usage before words starting in an unstressed syllable, so "an historic" is more commonly accepted than "an history".
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

I see it often enough in British English that I assumed it is the norm there. Here, both are acceptable in writing but you never insert /n/ before /h/ in speech.
kårroť