The one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

The one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.

Post by Space60 »

An example of ambiguity in English. Is it an eater of one eyed one horned flying purple people, a people eater with those characteristics, or something in between?
Last edited by Space60 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mèþru

Re: The one eyed one horned flying purple eater.

Post by mèþru »

It is a flying one-eyed, one-horned creature that eats the colour purple.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

Is it supposed to be "purple people eater"? Because otherwise I only get mèþru's reading. (I have to treat "purple" as a noun, but not so much that I'll allow it to be modified by "flying" or "one horned flying" and so on.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Space60 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pmAn example of ambiguity in English. Is it an eater of one eyed one horned flying purple people, a people eater with those characteristics, or something in between?
Space60, please allow me to draw your attention to the existence of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

mèþru wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 pm It is a flying one-eyed, one-horned creature that eats the colour purple.
+1
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
Space60

Post by Space60 »

akamchinjir wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 pm Is it supposed to be "purple people eater"? Because otherwise I only get mèþru's reading. (I have to treat "purple" as a noun, but not so much that I'll allow it to be modified by "flying" or "one horned flying" and so on.)
Yes. I left out the word people by mistake.
Axiem

Re: The one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.

Post by Axiem »

The lyrics includes:
I said, "Mr. Purple People Eater, what's your line?"
He said, "Eatin' purple people and it sure is fine
Which would heavily imply that it's a creature that eats purple people, and has one eye, one horn, and flies.
Pabappa

Re: The one eyed one horned flying purple people eater.

Post by Pabappa »

Yeah but Im pretty sure teh songwriters knew what they were doing and that it was going to be talked about like this. The artwork often shows the creature as purple himself. Also, why stop there? you can put the clause division almost anyw,ere. Maybe it;s a cyclops that eats flying purple rhino-human hybrids. or a creature that has six eyes, but there's only one of him.