Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Random Thread

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I think that sounds rather grave, and not like it's merely an acute case.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is it possible to install some kind of air conditioning in an apartment in a building that was originally built without air conditioning in a way that doesn't involve tearing the building down and building it anew?
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

There are portable air conditioners that you can install in any apartment. You only need a way to pass a tube outside (to carry hot air). My father did it by making a hole in a window shutter (and closing it with a plastic cover of the same color the rest of the year).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:52 am Is it possible to install some kind of air conditioning in an apartment in a building that was originally built without air conditioning in a way that doesn't involve tearing the building down and building it anew?
A lot of places have window air conditioning units that all you need for them is a window that opens to the outside.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Apropos of nothing, here's a neat lexical symmetry: in English, the drink is called "coffee", and the main active chemical substance in it is called "caffeine", while in German, the drink is called "Kaffee", and the main active chemical substance in it is called "Koffein". Seems like a and o kind of switch places there.
alice

Post by alice »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:45 am Apropos of nothing, here's a neat lexical symmetry: in English, the drink is called "coffee", and the main active chemical substance in it is called "caffeine", while in German, the drink is called "Kaffee", and the main active chemical substance in it is called "Koffein". Seems like a and o kind of switch places there.
Completely fallacious remark: "This is surely a manifestation of a Germanic tendency going back at least as far as PIE."
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is it normal for bumblebees to appear in large numbers? Because right now there are really a lot of bumblebees at a particular stretch of flowers in my neighbor's/landlady's garden.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:29 am Is it normal for bumblebees to appear in large numbers? Because right now there are really a lot of bumblebees at a particular stretch of flowers in my neighbor's/landlady's garden.
Must be something blooming there they like.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

With the way the bees have been dying off (first the honeybees, but from what I have heard other bees have started to be affected), the more bees the better.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:13 pm With the way the bees have been dying off (first the honeybees, but from what I have heard other bees have started to be affected), the more bees the better.
Somewhat related: a few years ago, I was positively creeped out by an absence of spiders. That is, during the time of the year that is usually the height of European garden spider season where I live, when there should have been big, fat European garden spiders hanging in their webs everywhere, instead there were hardly any to be seen anywhere. I assumed that something had been killing off all the insects, so the spiders didn't have enough to eat, but in any case, it indicated a serious ecological imbalance of some kind.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Over the course of the last few weeks, in has sometimes felt like I live in the one place in the Northern Hemisphere that doesn't currently have major catastrophic wildfires going on.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 am Over the course of the last few weeks, in has sometimes felt like I live in the one place in the Northern Hemisphere that doesn't currently have major catastrophic wildfires going on.
Nah, no wildfires are occurring here either in this corner of the northern hemisphere.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:55 am
Raphael wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 am Over the course of the last few weeks, in has sometimes felt like I live in the one place in the Northern Hemisphere that doesn't currently have major catastrophic wildfires going on.
Nah, no wildfires are occurring here either in this corner of the northern hemisphere.
It depends what you consider our "corner" to be. There are fires in Western Ontario only 1100 km from you (which may seem far, but it's near enough that Chicago has been having serious air quality alerts for days on end).
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:29 am Is it normal for bumblebees to appear in large numbers? Because right now there are really a lot of bumblebees at a particular stretch of flowers in my neighbor's/landlady's garden.
There sure are a lot of bumblebees around this year! I think weedkiller use is a lot more regulated these days (especially gkyphosate) and that's good news for biodiversity.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

yes - I have a lot, and haven't tried to optimize my garden for bees. they seem to like plants in the mint family. (mint order? butterfly bush is Lamiales but not Lamiaceae. although I'm not sure why they set up the classification that way - it looks mintlike to me)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Random Thought: My financial situation is neither good enough to worry about investments nor bad enough to worry about credit lines, so my case worker at my S&L and me don't really have much to talk about. Anyway, I bring this up because I've started to wonder recently about how unusual that situation would make me in the USA. Can I assume that in that country, people who don't have enough money to worry about investments are usually heavily indebted?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:51 am Random Thought: My financial situation is neither good enough to worry about investments nor bad enough to worry about credit lines, so my case worker at my S&L and me don't really have much to talk about. Anyway, I bring this up because I've started to wonder recently about how unusual that situation would make me in the USA. Can I assume that in that country, people who don't have enough money to worry about investments are usually heavily indebted?
One thing to consider, though, is that many people in the US have house payments, car payments, and student loan payments and may simultaneously have investments in the form of 401K's, while simultaneously paying their full credit card balances each month. (I primarily use credit cards for making payments even though I always pay my full balances because they are more secure than debit cards in the case of fraud.)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

A random question about wine, specifically rosé.

My father could be pedantic about his hobbies, and one idea he got from somewhere was that "rosé is not wine." He would terrorize waiters with this declaration.

My question is, especially for our French members: is there anything to this? I just looked at the Wikipedia article on rosé, and I didn't see anything about wine snobs looking down on rosé.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I used to be a bartender, and I also never encountered this.