What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: What do you call ...

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:59 pm I make burgers almost exclusively from ground turkey nowadays. Better for my gout and my cholesterol.
For similar reasons my family makes burgers out of ground turkey these days.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Richard W

Re: Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Richard W »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:40 pm ground beef is the meat one makes burgers out of
Bur minced beef is used for other things besides hamburgers. In our household, minced meat is very rarely used for hamburgers, and I'm not taking sausagemeat into account. (Life's a bit complicated by my wife taking religious advice to give up beef years ago, so we switched to using pork where one would normally use beef.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

He never said it was just used for making burgers.

My family used ground beef for a lot of things, to the point where I eventually got tired of it.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Richard W wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:38 pm
Nortaneous wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:40 pm ground beef is the meat one makes burgers out of
Bur minced beef is used for other things besides hamburgers.
What else is there to do with ground beef besides burgers and meatloaf? ("hamburger" I would assume means a burger that specifically does not have cheese, but apparently it's used to mean "burger"?)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 pm
Richard W wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:38 pm
Bur minced beef is used for other things besides hamburgers.
What else is there to do with ground beef besides burgers and meatloaf? ("hamburger" I would assume means a burger that specifically does not have cheese, but apparently it's used to mean "burger"?)
Chilli!
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Ares Land wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:50 pm
Nortaneous wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 pm What else is there to do with ground beef besides burgers and meatloaf? ("hamburger" I would assume means a burger that specifically does not have cheese, but apparently it's used to mean "burger"?)
Chilli!
Bolognese!
Lasagna!
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

quinterbeck wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:58 pm
Nortaneous wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 pm What else is there to do with ground beef besides burgers and meatloaf? ("hamburger" I would assume means a burger that specifically does not have cheese, but apparently it's used to mean "burger"?)
Chilli!
Bolognese!
Lasagna!
Stuffed sweet peppers!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Tacos.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Thanks for the meal ideas .... I was actually thinking just this morning that I havent had burritos or tacos in many years, since there are no Mexican restaurants near me and some meal ingredients, e.g. tomatoes, tend to spoil very quickly. but i could use mild salsa instead of fresh vegetables.

anyway i found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_steak .... its at least a possiblity that the use of just hamburg to mean ground beef is a retention rather than an innovation, though I wouldnt bet on it and it wouldnt explain why the use seems to be mostly if not entirely confined to New England. my pet theory is that it spread from a supermarket chain, but that's just a hunch ... and the product labels i was able to find all just said "ground beef" anyway.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

The Internet is a wonderful place, giving food ideas in threads unrelated to it.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

anyone besides me say hot top? since google images just gives 99% women with crop tops on, and 1% hot tubs, i'll explain .... it's another word for pavement, specifically a dark kind that soaks up a lot of heat. I'm not sure if this is a localism or not since Google is probably just showing me local articles due to its search bubble, and I see a few hits that are from other areas of the country and would not ordinarily choose an uncommon word.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

That sounds like "asphalt" to me.
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

I don't think I'd naturally produce "hot top", but I think I'd understand it in context. A similar term, which feels a bit more familiar to me is "black top". But "asphalt" is definitely the only term I would normally produce for that.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I know "hot top" very well as referring to asphalt-based coverings, but not in the sense of "absorbing a lot of heat" -- rather, that it's put down (as roofing, road surfacing, whatever) while it's hot and soft.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Creyeditor wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:10 pm
quinterbeck wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:58 pm

Chilli!
Bolognese!
Lasagna!
Stuffed sweet peppers!
All of these and no one said meatballs?!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'm familiar with "blacktop", but I would usually just use "asphalt". Note that to me "blacktop" seems more normal when being used to describe things such as asphalt surfaces for playgrounds than for roads.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I have never heard any of these phrases except asphalt and pavement but find pavement confusing especially when British people are involved.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

In German, it is usually called Asphalt, but the technical term - I once worked in a road planning office - is Schwarzdecke, which literally means 'blacktop'. Maybe it is the same in English?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vijay wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:19 pm I have never heard any of these phrases except asphalt and pavement but find pavement confusing especially when British people are involved.
The thing about pavement is that to me it can refer to both asphalt paving and concrete paving (whether for roads, sidewalks, parking lots, playgrounds, or like).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am
Vijay wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:19 pm I have never heard any of these phrases except asphalt and pavement but find pavement confusing especially when British people are involved.
The thing about pavement is that to me it can refer to both asphalt paving and concrete paving (whether for roads, sidewalks, parking lots, playgrounds, or like).
Yes, that's what I thought, too - correct me if I'm wrong.