Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

A day or so back I got the following review of zeptoforth! Mind you I know the reviewer, which is immediately apparent from the review, and the reviewer is quite partial to zeptoforth, but still!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:24 pm A day or so back I got the following review of zeptoforth! Mind you I know the reviewer, which is immediately apparent from the review, and the reviewer is quite partial to zeptoforth, but still!
Nice! That's always encouraging.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

So there's this guy I've known online about 20 years. We've only met in person twice during a visit he made to Chicago sometime in the early aughts. At the time I had what I described as a "schoolboy crush" on him. I just thought he was so cool--the suaver, handsomer, more popular, more clever, more confident man I'd like to be. He visited Chicago again almost a decade later and, even though he was staying near me, we didn't manage to get together. I understand it was a work trip and all, but all the while I was trying to convince him to meet up with me, I had the feeling he just wasn't keen on the idea. And why should he be? After all, I'm just a big dork and I'm sure he had better offers.

We've always kept vaguely in touch despite the demise of the platform where we first hung out together. Last year he DMed me on Insta to share a photo of jam jars in Lëtzebuergesch. Recently I had a dream about him visiting where I work so I told him. I didn't hear anything back for a while so I thought, there I go, being a big dork again and annoying everyone. But then last night he got back to me and kicked off a chat about language learning which turned into a more general conversation. To my surprise--I noticed a certain trend to his comments:

"Nerd! And I mean that respectfully."
"They were lucky to have you, Da."
"You know all the best fellas."

Does my schoolboy crush actually look up to me in some ways? I can't quite believe it, and yet, it sure seems that way.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nice.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I ordered a turntable and it has arrived. It sounds (and looks) fabulous!
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Man in Space wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:44 pm I ordered a turntable and it has arrived. It sounds (and looks) fabulous!
Is that a model railway turntable or some other kind?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

quinterbeck wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:19 amIs that a model railway turntable or some other kind?
Some other kind—it plays records. Now I can listen to my death metal vinyls without using the record player in the family room, so no one will be bothered.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Man in Space wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 am Some other kind—it plays records. Now I can listen to my death metal vinyls without using the record player in the family room, so no one will be bothered.
Aha, that makes a lot more sense of "sounds" :lol:
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I managed to apply some significant optimizations to my Life implementation, making it much faster than before. Yes, it is a the cost of using eight times as much memory (due to devoting a byte to each cell rather than a bit), but still, it's worth it.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

It's been more than 2 weeks since the last post, so I think we're due for a happy thing!

I got to hug my parents today for the 1st time in over a year.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

It's really nice to see the city alive again. Loud crowds everywhere, as it should be.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

After I had gotten the usual compilation issues due to typos out of the way, my new interrupt vector table in RAM functionality for zeptoforth worked on the STM32F407 with my LMT01 temperature sensor code (which uses interrupts) on the first try!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 am It's really nice to see the city alive again. Loud crowds everywhere, as it should be.
Last night I took a long stroll up along one of the local beaches. All kinds of people were out enjoying the mild night. I remember going for a walk there early in the summer last year and the presence of so many people made me anxious, but yesterday I found it comforting.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:11 am After I had gotten the usual compilation issues due to typos out of the way, my new interrupt vector table in RAM functionality for zeptoforth worked on the STM32F407 with my LMT01 temperature sensor code (which uses interrupts) on the first try!
Yay! It's always great when it works the first time.

Meanwhile, the power socket on my laptop had been getting less and less reliable, so I took it in to be repaired. Amazingly, they couldn't find a replacement power socket, so they weren't able to do anything with it. Equally amazingly, the act of taking it to bits and putting it back seems to have fixed the problem, at least temporarily. So it's now working acceptable again, and I didn't have to pay anything.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

My wife and I went to a restaurant tonight for dinner. We ate there. In the restaurant. It was weird. :lol:
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vardelm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:54 pm My wife and I went to a restaurant tonight for dinner. We ate there. In the restaurant. It was weird. :lol:
COVID has gotten me to start eating at food trucks, and it turns out that the ones I've gone to (all Mexican ones) have food that's just as good as the sit-down Mexican place in town that I'd always go to.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 pm COVID has gotten me to start eating at food trucks, and it turns out that the ones I've gone to (all Mexican ones) have food that's just as good as the sit-down Mexican place in town that I'd always go to.
That doesn't surprise me at all. All you need are fresh ingredients, a good recipe, & just enough space to cook it. There are exactly 0 food trucks in our area, though.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Happy: This finally got published after over a year of languishing on previous boss's desk.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 pm Happy: This finally got published after over a year of languishing on previous boss's desk.
Nice! Congrats!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Publication is a beautiful dream. Congratulations on reaching it!