"Hansenese" My Personal Artlang/Stealthlang

Conworlds and conlangs
storyteller232

Re: "Hansenese" My Personal Artlang/Stealthlang

Post by storyteller232 »

bbbosborne wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 pmi'd switch <o> and <ou>. personally i think it's a bit more intuitive
So now:
/ʌ/ = <ou>
/ɔ/ = <u>
Did i understand you correct?
bbbosborne wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 pm
storyteller232 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 pm Are /o/ and /eʊ/very different sounds?
yes
Can i get an example of each sound to ensure that i am understanding correctly what each sound? all i get when i google is this dipthong /əʊ/.
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

I was going to post my thoughts for cases, tenses, and aspect but I'll wait till I've finished deciding that and till I have the orthography finalized.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

storyteller232 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:01 am
bbbosborne wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 pmi'd switch <o> and <ou>. personally i think it's a bit more intuitive
So now:
/ʌ/ = <ou>
/ɔ/ = <u>
Did i understand you correct?
you switched <u> and <ou>, not <o> and <ou>. it should be /ɔ/ = <o> and /o/ = <ou>

storyteller232 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:01 am Can i get an example of each sound to ensure that i am understanding correctly what each sound? all i get when i google is this dipthong /əʊ/.
https://vimeo.com/138071832
i think the above sounds more like /eu/ or /eo/ but it's the closest i could find
when the hell did that happen
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pmyou switched <u> and <ou>, not <o> and <ou>. it should be /ɔ/ = <o> and /o/ = <ou>
Oops just a copy error

/ɔ/ = o
/o/ = ou
bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pmhttps://vimeo.com/138071832
i think the above sounds more like /eu/ or /eo/ but it's the closest i could find
Is this dipthong interesting enough or provide some element that missing from my vowel inventory that I should learn this sound, or should i just drop it or replace it with something else? This is probably a really stupid question, but to try and pronounce it do i just try to combine/blend the two sounds?
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

if you want it, keep it. never do anything you don't want to.

yes you just combine/blend the two sounds. pronounce it smoothly and make it unbroken
when the hell did that happen
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 pm if you want it, keep it. never do anything you don't want to.
i get that, just if I'm remembering correctly it was suggested I add it because it was a type of dipthong I was missing.
bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 pmyes you just combine/blend the two sounds. pronounce it smoothly and make it unbroken.
I think i got its pronounciation right (i hope lol) i do like the sound of it. I'll play around with it more since i have started word building yet i have time before it would be hard to drop/replace it.

How is?
/eʊ/ = <au>
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

So my updated Orthography:

/ʒ/ = zh
/dʒ/ = j
/tʃ/ = ch
/ʃ/ = sh
/ʟ/ = ll
/x/ = kh
/ʔ/ = '
/ŋ/ = ng
/ts/ = c
/dz/ = dz
/j/ = y
/r/ = r

Vowels:
/i/ = ë
/ɪ/ = i
/u/ = ô
/ɛ/ = e
/ʌ/ = u
/ɔ/ = o
/o/ = ou
/a/ = a
/ʊ/ = ū
/aɪ/ = ie
/eɪ/ = ae
/eʊ/ = aū
/oɪ/ = oi
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

storyteller232 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:52 am
bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 pm if you want it, keep it. never do anything you don't want to.
i get that, just if I'm remembering correctly it was suggested I add it because it was a type of dipthong I was missing.
bbbosborne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 pmyes you just combine/blend the two sounds. pronounce it smoothly and make it unbroken.
I think i got its pronounciation right (i hope lol) i do like the sound of it. I'll play around with it more since i have started word building yet i have time before it would be hard to drop/replace it.

How is?
/eʊ/ = <au>
Any reason not to write it <eu>? I suppose English speakers might interpret that as /u/ or /ʊ/ thanks to French loanwords, but...
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

Zaarin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 pmAny reason not to write it <eu>? I suppose English speakers might interpret that as /u/ or /ʊ/ thanks to French loanwords, but...
Mainly because i associate the /e/ or /eɪ/ with the English Letter A. I do think now that i shouldnt for this dipthong.
storyteller232

Post by storyteller232 »

Ok so i'm finally narrowing down the rest of the stuff, excited to pretty much have my phonology and much of my orthography figured out. So now onto finalizing that grammar and syntax and start word building.

Genders:
  • Masculine
  • Feminine
  • Neuter
My Cases so far:
  • nominative case
  • accusative case
  • genative
  • prepositional case
  • instrumental
  • other suggested cases?
Articles match in gender and number.

My Tenses:
  • Past
  • Present
  • Future
  • Eternal
Marked with a Suffix, separate affix immediately follows it marking person & number. Still deciding on which aspects
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

How about no case marking whatsoever while still having free word order. (i.e. The role of the noun depends on how you conjugate the verb).

How about (this is by slot):

1. Perfect Telic/Progressive Telic/Atelic (Perfect telic: The action is finished before the timeframe, Progressive Telic: The action is not finished but will have an end, Atelic: The action have no logical end)
2. Perfective/Iterative/Durative (Perfective: Considered a single whole, Iterative: The action is done repeatedly, Durative: The action is held for a long time)
3. Mirative (Surprising)
4. Antiperfect (The action is no longer done. If this aspect is present, the verb may be neither Telic or Perfective).

The aspect there is intertwined.

About mood marking, it's definitely not Realis-Irrealis, but more Indicative-Subjunctive like European languages.

For adjective, the second slot is not filled.

If you still want a case marking, you forget Dative case. Also, how about split-Nominative case, where the volitional subject has a special marking? Or you can replace Dative case with Allative case (essentially to).

Also, how you mark voice?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero