Name That Language!

Natural languages and linguistics
Birdlang

Re: Name That Language!

Post by Birdlang »

Yes it’s Hindi. @Nortaneous and @dewrad got it right.

I got that from the Wikipedia article on pigeons.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Birdlang wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 am I got that from the Wikipedia article on pigeons.
Do you have a link? I can’t find it anywhere.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Birdlang

Post by Birdlang »

bradrn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 am
Birdlang wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 am I got that from the Wikipedia article on pigeons.
Here
https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/कबूतर
dewrad

Post by dewrad »

Birdlang wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm
bradrn wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 am
Here
https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/कबूतर
Can I just clarify that making up your own transcriptions really isn't in the spirit of the game. Otherwise we end up with nonsense like "दा दी अनृकेनुङ् दृ अङ्गबौर्न् व्युर्द उंत् दृ ग्लैष्न् उंत् उन्वेरोइस्न्लिष्न् रेह्त आल मित्ग्लीद दृ ग्मैञ्षफ्त् दृ मेञ्ष्न् दी ग्रुन्द्लाग फों फ्राइहाइत् गरेह्तिकाइत् उंत् फ्रीद्न् इं दृ वेल्त् बिल्देत्"
Birdlang

Post by Birdlang »

Ok sorry
dewrad

Post by dewrad »

This should be easy:
holaiez naφoθ ziazi maraz maw sialχweiz awiz ewisθo zeronaiθ ziwai aker tawarzio wanalasial zeronai morinail holaiezi φokiasiale zeronaiθ ewisθo towerona rom haralio ziwai eptezio arai tiz φoke ziwai awiz sialχwiz marazm awiz aomai
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm This should be easy:
Evidently you have a different definition of ‘easy’ to me — I don’t recognise it at all. (Although I keep on thinking this feels suspiciously familiar… not that that helps.)
holaiez naφoθ ziazi maraz maw sialχweiz awiz ewisθo zeronaiθ ziwai aker tawarzio wanalasial zeronai morinail holaiezi φokiasiale zeronaiθ ewisθo towerona rom haralio ziwai eptezio arai tiz φoke ziwai awiz sialχwiz marazm awiz aomai
Clarification: ⟨φ⟩ = /ɸ/, right?

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I guessed correctly that it was one of two languages I was thinking of, but since I looked to confirm my guess, I can't mention it here.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:15 pm
All right, I’ll make a guess even though I still don’t have a clue… is it Indo-European?

dewrad

Post by dewrad »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 pm
Evidently you have a different definition of ‘easy’ to me — I don’t recognise it at all. (Although I keep on thinking this feels suspiciously familiar… not that that helps.)
I cannot vouch for the phonemic nature of the transcription used.
bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pmAll right, I’ll make a guess even though I still don’t have a clue… is it Indo-European?
No.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:22 pm
Let me rephrase my question then: in the text you have given, is the grapheme φ used to represent the sound more commonly denoted using the IPA as ɸ, irrespective of whether it is phonemic or not?

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 pm Let me rephrase my question then: in the text you have given, is the grapheme φ used to represent the sound more commonly denoted using the IPA as ɸ, irrespective of whether it is phonemic or not?
⟨φ⟩ and ⟨ɸ⟩ are pretty much interchangeable, which one is used being a matter of taste on the part of whoever designed an orthography.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Spoiler!
More: show
One note is that at the time this was written, that letter did not have the value it has in more recent language varieties.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 pm
bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 pm Let me rephrase my question then: in the text you have given, is the grapheme φ used to represent the sound more commonly denoted using the IPA as ɸ, irrespective of whether it is phonemic or not?
⟨φ⟩ and ⟨ɸ⟩ are pretty much interchangeable, which one is used being a matter of taste on the part of whoever designed an orthography.
True; I suppose it wasn’t a particularly good question in the first place.
Travis B. wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 pm Spoiler!
More: show
One note is that at the time this was written, that letter did not have the value it has in more recent language varieties.
I’m not entirely sure why you consider this a spoiler, given that it didn’t help me at all.

dewrad

Post by dewrad »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 pm
dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:22 pm

Let me rephrase my question then: in the text you have given, is the grapheme φ used to represent the sound more commonly denoted using the IPA as ɸ, irrespective of whether it is phonemic or not?
Let me rephrase my response then :D - the orthography is given as-is, I do not have enough information to comment confidently on precisely what the graphemes represent (I'm willing to hang my hat on "bilabial", however). Sensu stricto, I should have referred to it as a transliteration rather than a transcription, if that helps any.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 pm Sensu stricto, I should have referred to it as a transliteration rather than a transcription, if that helps any.
Now that’s a spoiler — now we know it’s normally written in a non-Latin script! So: is it spoken in Asia?

dewrad

Post by dewrad »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm
dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 pm Sensu stricto, I should have referred to it as a transliteration rather than a transcription, if that helps any.
Now that’s a spoiler — now we know it’s normally written in a non-Latin script! So: is it spoken in Asia?
No.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 pm
No.
Northern Africa then?

dewrad

Post by dewrad »

bradrn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:51 pm
dewrad wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 pm

No.
Northern Africa then?
Also no.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Phonotactically that language looks like bronze-age Mediterranean IE to me. Or at least it reminds me a lot of Proto-Italic/Celtic/Hellenic, with some phonemes removed. Maybe the "φ" was literally Φ in the original.