Confusing headlines

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Confusing headlines

Post by Raphael »

Oddly enough, the BBC had their own interesting headline about apparently the same story:

Scientists discover powerful antibiotic using AI

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51586010
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

New Social Security rule limits access to non-English speakers (The Hill)
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

New York state confirms first coronavirus case: Governor Cuomo
More: show
Governor Cuomo is not the person with coronavirus
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Oh that's a good one.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Fox News and http://israelheadlinenews.com/:

FALLEN JEWISH AMERICAN WORLD WAR LL SOLDIERS, POWS FINALLY TO BE BURIED UNDER STAR OF DAVID
The only thing thats confusing is how they let such an obvious typo slip by. Going to the original site on Fox, https://www.foxnews.com/world/wwii-jewi ... star-david , the text appears normal and no one would guess that the II was spelled with lowercase L's. But for some reason the other site that quotes them uppercased the entire headline and the L's are quite obvious.

Also I want to post my current sig, since I'll be removing it soon. This is more of a classic garden path type sentence although it was not the headline:
Senate Republicans also did not muster the 60 needed votes to pass the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, a bill protecting babies born alive through botched abortions sponsored by Republican Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Not a headline, but a particularly unfortunate sentence from an article:
Mr Greer has travelled across the Australian outback many times and has learned how to find water holes, follow tracks and make rudimentary weapons from Indigenous people leading traditional lives in the country's most remote areas.
As one commenter put it: ‘Making rudimentary weapons from Indigenous people is immoral and illegal. We must stop this!’
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

bradrn wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Mr Greer has travelled across the Australian outback many times and has learned how to find water holes, follow tracks and make rudimentary weapons from Indigenous people leading traditional lives in the country's most remote areas.
As one commenter put it: ‘Making rudimentary weapons from Indigenous people is immoral and illegal. We must stop this!’
Lol, that's good. :lol: Unfortunately I only have this to offer:
Rían Huorin vaimo eli Hadorin kansan keskuudessa [...]

Which I interpreted as:
Rían Huor-in vaimo eli Hador-in kansa-n keskuud-essa
PR1 PR1-GEN wife that.is.to.say PR-GEN people-GEN among-INE
Rían Huor's wife, i.e. among Hador's people ...huh?

When it was supposed to be:
Rían Huor-in vaimo el-i-0 Hador-in kansa-n keskuud-essa
PR1 PR2-GEN wife live-PST-3SG PR-GEN people-GEN among-INE
Rían, wife of Huor, lived among the people...
Glass Half Baked

Post by Glass Half Baked »

Not a headline, but from the top of an article on Korean Covid-19 policy (emphasis mine):
"The [South Korean] government announced Friday that it was suspending a visa waiver program for Japanese citizens from March 9, in retaliation to Japan's decision to tighten entry restriction on people traveling to the neighboring country from Korea."
It took me a few moments to figure out what "the neighboring country" was. It really sounded to me like they were talking about a third country. I think there was a thread on this forum some time ago about the circumstances in which these kinds of descriptive replacements can occur.

"Susie was unhappy because the girl was very unpopular at school."
* "Susie didn't understand why everyone at school hated the girl."
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Glass Half Baked wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:15 am Not a headline, but from the top of an article on Korean Covid-19 policy (emphasis mine):
"The [South Korean] government announced Friday that it was suspending a visa waiver program for Japanese citizens from March 9, in retaliation to Japan's decision to tighten entry restriction on people traveling to the neighboring country from Korea."
It took me a few moments to figure out what "the neighboring country" was. It really sounded to me like they were talking about a third country. I think there was a thread on this forum some time ago about the circumstances in which these kinds of descriptive replacements can occur.

"Susie was unhappy because the girl was very unpopular at school."
* "Susie didn't understand why everyone at school hated the girl."
I agree that this is incredibly confusing. In fact, for me, neither of the examples you gave are particularly acceptable; I would only use them in a highly colloquial context, if at all.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

East vs. West: Coronavirus Fight Tests Divergent Strategies (WSJ)

Grubhub Won’t Collect $100 Million From Restaurants To Help During Coronavirus Struggle (Blockclub Chicago)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Not confusing, but somewhat amusing if you speak both English and German - from the Chicago Sun-Times:

Oberweis wins chance to take on Underwood in 14th Congressional District
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

A beautifully ambiguous headline:

Man charged with murder after allegedly attacking victim in bed with guitar

Did the victim have the guitar, or was that the murderer? Amazingly enough, the corresponding article doesn’t disambiguate this (although it strongly implies that it was the murderer who had the guitar).

EDIT: Rereading the article, it almost certainly looks like it was the murderer who had the guitar: ‘… he allegedly struck another man over the head with a guitar’ (although you could make the case that this is still slightly ambiguous).

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I have to really force out the "... attacking [victim in bed with guitar]" reading. "... attacking [victim in bed] with guitar" is the only natural one for me.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

KathTheDragon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:05 am I have to really force out the "... attacking [victim in bed with guitar]" reading. "... attacking [victim in bed] with guitar" is the only natural one for me.
Maybe "...attacking victim in [bed with guitar]"? Like, there are two beds, and only one of them has a guitar.
bradrn wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am EDIT: Rereading the article, it almost certainly looks like it was the murderer who had the guitar: ‘… he allegedly struck another man over the head with a guitar’ (although you could make the case that this is still slightly ambiguous).
It's pretty easy for me to get the reading where the victim has two heads and only one of the heads has a guitar, I guess.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

KathTheDragon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:05 am I have to really force out the "... attacking [victim in bed with guitar]" reading. "... attacking [victim in bed] with guitar" is the only natural one for me.
Funny, with me the first interpretation is just as natural.
akam chinjir wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:16 am
Maybe "...attacking victim in [bed with guitar]"? Like, there are two beds, and only one of them has a guitar.
And I suppose that this is yet another interpretation! I didn’t think of this one, actually.
bradrn wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am EDIT: Rereading the article, it almost certainly looks like it was the murderer who had the guitar: ‘… he allegedly struck another man over the head with a guitar’ (although you could make the case that this is still slightly ambiguous).
It's pretty easy for me to get the reading where the victim has two heads and only one of the heads has a guitar, I guess.
Is ‘heads’ a typo here?

akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

bradrn wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:42 am Is ‘heads’ a typo here?
I was going for the reading "struck another man over [the head with a guitar]"---as opposed to the head without the guitar.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

From the BBC:

UK using 1.2 billion tonnes of material a year

Not necessarily confusing, once you understand that by "material", they mean "physical objects that are consumed by the economy in one way or another", but it sounds a bit like something out of either the Onion or Yes Minister.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Here’s another one, with the exact same ambiguity as my previous submission:
Video shows thief stole van Gogh painting with sledgehammer
It’s funny that they seem to be making this same mistake over and over again…

(If you want to know, it was the thief who had the sledgehammer.)