Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Random Thread

Post by Travis B. »

I would expect the effect to have been lessened in recent years with the primacy of smartphones and the tendency to take them everywhere, but yeah, Americans travel a lot over Thanksgiving which could definitely have an effect.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I still hate typing out replies on my smartphone though. More importantly, when I’m with family, I’m generally too involved to care what’s going on in my discussion groups.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I don't like logging in to anything through the browser of my smartphone for some reason.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It's 20 past 10 here, and the night outside has been equally dark for more than five hours. Perfectly normal here at this time of the year, but right now I still find it kinda weird for some reason.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

*sigh*

looks like my heat is broken again

anything more i say from here is from my bed

good night
kodé

Post by kodé »

Raphael wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:16 pm I don't like logging in to anything through the browser of my smartphone for some reason.
Same.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I share a last name with a fairly big name in contemporary philosophy.
Recently, I created an account on academia.edu, which sends me a lot of email, including a notification everytime my / his last name is mentioned.
My spam >>> your spam.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

They send me a lot of spam too, I think that's just something they do. (Admittedly I've never checked who all those supposed mentions are actually mentions of.)
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yeah, I have a rare surname, but yet there is an economist with the same first and last name as me, and so anytime that name pops up in any paper it messages me. "I" have been cited 34 times in just the last two months.

I did get an actual honest mention in a research paper once, from someone in Japan around the year 2002. I had climate data on my website at the time, and he picked my site out of whatever came up in his search.

Oh, and I got the heat fixed. It wasnt that bad because I still had hot water and the oven worked. Whereas the incident I described further up the thread took out both the heat and hot water and happened during a much colder spell of weather.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

I get these notifications as well, looks like there is a biologist or biochemist with the same last name. I always press the "that's not me" button and hope the system will learn....
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

It looks like you can turn the notifications off. That said, I dont see a "that's not me" button. Maybe that appears only for premium members, or maybe it is so confident that this person is me because both the first and last name match and it is a rare name.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Pabappa wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 pm It looks like you can turn the notifications off. That said, I dont see a "that's not me" button. Maybe that appears only for premium members, or maybe it is so confident that this person is me because both the first and last name match and it is a rare name.
I don't see it either. I suppose it's for premium members. I spam-blocked the emails, but not without a twinge of regret. I never expected I would one day receive modern French phenomenology spam!
Last edited by Ares Land on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

I suppose it's for premium member.
Could be. I think I got myself a premium account when I posted my first (and up to now only) paper and wanted to do a discussion session on it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Random thought: I quite like the way the Ephemera Forum has turned out on the new ZBB - a number of ongoing threads dedicated to general topics, where people post whatever they want as long as it fits those general topics. As far as I can tell, no one ever consciously set out to do things that way, but that's how it worked out, and, again, I quite like that.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I get the impression that the new Ephemera forum is basically the old "None of the above" forum merged with the old Ephemera forum.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I've made a few interventions here and there (e.g. moving a couple topics to the Language forum, merging a couple of minor threads) but very few overall.

It's interesting that Zompist decided to go with the name "Ephemera" when, as far as I know, the threads still aren't being pruned at all.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

I'm kind of under the impression that the idea was that this part of the forum would be like Ephemera to avoid clutter and then just ended up not being pruned after all.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

It turns out that even in some Muslim countries, burqa is still associated with extremism. https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/201 ... versy.html
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Where is niqab not associated with extremism?
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Vijay wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:02 pm Where is niqab not associated with extremism?
Saudi Arabia and Iran?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero