Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Vijay

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Vijay »

Indian weddings are easy that way. If you're a man going to a Hindu wedding, you wear kurta pyjama. If you're a man going to any other kind of wedding, you wear a tux. If you're a woman going to any kind of wedding at all, you wear a sari (same with most social events). Weddings are never casual. Only eloping reliably is (sex also can be but shhhh!!!). :P
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pmIndian weddings are easy that way. If you're a man going to a Hindu wedding, you wear kurta pyjama.
I wore kurta pyjama to a wedding once, but it wasn't Hindu, it was "creative formal" ("wear whatever you want as long as you feel dressed up"). It was so comfy I wish I could wear it to every formal event.
Ketumak

Post by Ketumak »

@ Linguoboy

Sounds to me like a good excuse to go clothes shopping :D

If it was me, I'd dig out a suit and shirt I already have and get a new plaid tie or waistcoat to follow the wedding theme. I'd also wear my pocket watch and chain.

An arty cousin once turned up to a family occasion wearing a red sweater plus yellow plaid trousers in the style of Rupert the Bear. We'd got used to her outfits by then though, so she got away with it. Not for everyone, but an option for some.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ketumak wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pmSounds to me like a good excuse to go clothes shopping :D
It's like we have the same mind.
Ketumak wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pmIf it was me, I'd dig out a suit and shirt I already have and get a new plaid tie or waistcoat to follow the wedding theme. I'd also wear my pocket watch and chain.
I was thinking a plaid sportcoat myself. But I wouldn't say "no" to the right trousers either.
Risla

Post by Risla »

I've been back to doing a lot of worldbuilding and have built quite a bit of mythology for one of my more minor conpeoples (called the Tehemne). I even have a myth that I think I would actually like to turn into a novel. It would be so cool to actually write a book in my conworld instead of just fucking around forever with minor details.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Vijay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm Indian weddings are easy that way. If you're a man going to a Hindu wedding, you wear kurta pyjama. If you're a man going to any other kind of wedding, you wear a tux. If you're a woman going to any kind of wedding at all, you wear a sari (same with most social events). Weddings are never casual. Only eloping reliably is (sex also can be but shhhh!!!). :P
I still have the kurtas I bought for the Indian wedding I attended (in India). They're great for wearing to Diwali parties.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

You could also wear it for Karneval, if they have that in Luxembourg - at least, they border on the area in Germany where Karneval really is a thing. I have an Uzbek robe and cap that I basically can't wear on any other occasion.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Most of the time when I was little, for Halloween, I wore a Fez cap, a thick bedsheet, and a golden necklace my mom gave me and pretended to be a Moroccan trader or something (who for some weird reason only spoke English and French and barely a word of any variety of Arabic :P).
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Victory is listening to the Sparta techno remix after spending a long, stressful time teaching someone to bake.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Vijay wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pmMost of the time when I was little, for Halloween, I wore a Fez cap, a thick bedsheet, and a golden necklace my mom gave me and pretended to be a Moroccan trader or something (who for some weird reason only spoke English and French and barely a word of any variety of Arabic :P).
Because what's most important in childhood Halloween costumes is absolute verisimulitude.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am
Vijay wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pmMost of the time when I was little, for Halloween, I wore a Fez cap, a thick bedsheet, and a golden necklace my mom gave me and pretended to be a Moroccan trader or something (who for some weird reason only spoke English and French and barely a word of any variety of Arabic :P).
Because what's most important in childhood Halloween costumes is absolute verisimulitude.
I never was much into Halloween, tbh. I don't eat sweet foods much, so the candy didn't really have any special appeal to me. But I was a kid and this was what I was expected to do at that age so I did. Plus my brother used to go, so then I wanted to tag along, I guess.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Speaking of happy things, I had a tooth yanked on Friday and it went pretty well. An hour after leaving the office, I was hanging out a bar with my buddies (though not drinking since I was waiting on a prescription for painkillers). The next day I went to a friend's party. I only started getting some pain toward evening when I put in my fake tooth before going out, so I made it an early night. So far the effects of the antibiotics on my digestion are worse than any direct effects of the extraction, though I'm getting kind of tired of gumming up soft foods.
dhok

Post by dhok »

I'm booking a train ticket to Ulaanbaatar for this weekend to find a new job!
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm
mèþru wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 pmor none of them, but you'd probably be kicked out
That's for the afterparty.

The invite says "Classy Casual (plaid apparel encouraged)".
*rolls eyes*
I know it's not good to stereotype, but literally 50% of the gay weddings I've been to have had some sort of dress code encouraging plaid. Seriously people, do you think we all just have a separate "gay wedding plaid stuff" wardrobe waiting just for these occasions!?

Still, it does at least provide an icebreaker for guests who don't know each other. They can begin with "so, you couldn't be bothered to obey the dress code either?"

[actually, I went to a transatlantic gay wedding once and this provided an easy tell for nationality. The American half of the guests were all enthusiastically, if often uncomfortably, doing their best to abide their friend/relative's eccentric dresscode instructions. The British half couldn't be arsed, beyond the occasional token tie...]

EDIT: now that I say this out loud, it occurs to me that I've just been invited to way too many weddings.
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

I'm getting married next year(ish) and we have discussed giving out dress code instructions at random, with incredibly precise instructions. One third festival chic, one third black tie, one third dress-as-your-favourite-pokémon etc.

I'm campaigning for a big piss-up in a field or going to Las Vegas and getting married by an elderly female Elvis impersonator and as long as I can wear a top hat, I don't really care about the rest.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Gulliver wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 amI'm getting married next year(ish) and we have discussed giving out dress code instructions at random, with incredibly precise instructions. One third festival chic, one third black tie, one third dress-as-your-favourite-pokémon etc.
My favourite wedding dress code ever was "creative formal", which my hosts described as "where whatever you want as long as *you* feel dressed up". We had everything from black tie to kimonos. It gave me a chance to show off the new kurta an Indian friend had just had made for me.

I'm more of a paisley/argyle type than a plaidster, but I can totally justify adding a plaid sport coat to my wardrobe. A coworker suggested prowling the second-hand stores, which I think is good advice. I only wish my husband were still around so he could wow everyone with his dress Campbell kilt and all its accoutrements.
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 amMy favourite wedding dress code ever was "creative formal", which my hosts described as "where whatever you want as long as *you* feel dressed up". We had everything from black tie to kimonos. It gave me a chance to show off the new kurta an Indian friend had just had made for me.

I'm more of a paisley/argyle type than a plaidster, but I can totally justify adding a plaid sport coat to my wardrobe. A coworker suggested prowling the second-hand stores, which I think is good advice. I only wish my husband were still around so he could wow everyone with his dress Campbell kilt and all its accoutrements.
I like that! Thank you. Definitely keeping that idea.

As a Campbell, I wholly approve - though I'm English enough that I'm not legally allowed to wear tartan. My Welsh cousin can get away with it but I'd be ground up and fed to the horses.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Gulliver wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 amAs a Campbell, I wholly approve - though I'm English enough that I'm not legally allowed to wear tartan. My Welsh cousin can get away with it but I'd be ground up and fed to the horses.
Clan membership isn't conveyed by marriage so I know I couldn't get away with it, which is why I gave it away to his nephew after the second memorial service on the West Coast. Besides, I've spent my life rejecting the whole notion of wearing a kilt because "my ancestors could afford pants".
Gulliver

Post by Gulliver »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 amClan membership isn't conveyed by marriage so I know I couldn't get away with it, which is why I gave it away to his nephew after the second memorial service on the West Coast. Besides, I've spent my life rejecting the whole notion of wearing a kilt because "my ancestors could afford pants".
That's good of you; it's much better than it sitting in a wardrobe forever.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I started working on a new novel today — it's a project I had in mind for some time now, but I finally found a satisfying idea for a first chapter.
Now I hope I manage to keep up the enthusiasm.