bradrn’s scratchpad

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

bradrn’s scratchpad

Post by bradrn »

I must admit, I’ve never particularly liked the idea of working in a scratchpad format — my typical workflow is along the lines of ‘write a first version of some language feature, then rewrite it hundreds of times until I’m finally satisfied’. But it occurs to me that none of my grammars have ever gotten to a publishable state, so I’ll probably have to use a format like this given that it’s high time I shared my conlangs!

So essentially I’ll be using this thread as a central place to share my languages, the grammars of which are currently unpublished (and unpublishable). It won’t be quite like a ‘typical’ scratchpad, in that for now I’m sharing stuff I’ve already made rather than creating new stuff as I go, but hopefully it’ll be fine to call it a ‘scratchpad’ anyway. Later on I might change how I do this, but for now I’ll just see how this goes.

Table of contents

Yaazhgigzhoomnem
  1. Phonology
  2. Word classes
  3. Verbal inflection
Hlʉ̂
  1. Phonology, basic syntax, alignment
  2. Classification
Wēchizaŋkəŋ
  1. Phonology, basic syntax, morphology
Proto-‘Savanna’
  1. Phonology and word classes
  2. Basic clause structure
  3. The noun phrase
  4. More clause structure
  5. Verbal morphology and aspect
  6. More verbal morphology, and nominalisation
  7. Notes on SVCs
Eŋes
  1. Basic phonology and clause structure
  2. The preverb
  3. Verb stems and lexical organisation
  4. Phonetic rules
  5. The verbal auxiliary, revisited
Other
Last edited by bradrn on Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
bradrn

Re: bradrn’s scratchpad (Yaazhgigzhoomnem phonology)

Post by bradrn »

I’ll start by writing about my most developed language. It’s not the one I’m most proud of — I have considerably more linguistic knowledge now than I did then — but it is more detailed than any of my other languages (not that that’s hard), and I like it better than all my other languages other than the one I’m working on right now. Typologically, its main characteristic is excessive agglutinativity — not quite to the point of polysynthesis, but getting there. Certainly it’s at the point where very long words are common in normal conversation. (Even just in conversation over at the Conlang Fluency Thread, I’ve used meshwoozheyyakwaasoownemek, yaazhshomsoowen, meshyaagireebem, yaazhgnazhabeyen…) This isn’t helped by the fact that it’s double-marking, with both noun cases and verbal agreement. Another distinguishing characteristic is that both noun cases and verbal agreement operate on an ergative-absolutive alignment. Unfortunately, it isn’t a very realistic ergative language, as I discovered while writing my ergativity thread, but I don’t feel like changing it now, so unrealistic it stays. (Though interestingly, recently I learnt that the Papuan language Komnzo has a very similar system, so perhaps it’s not as unrealistic as I feared.)

As for the context of the language… well, there isn’t any. At the moment I know nothing about the speakers of the language; the world they live in is similarly underdeveloped. (Read: it doesn’t even have a map yet, let alone anything else.) Originally I intended to make this language a protolanguage, but now I’m leaning towards making it an isolate; I’ll only be able to say for sure once I have a bit more of the world developed.

What’s that? You want to know what it’s called? Well, that could be tricky; for the moment, I’ve been calling it variations on ‘[Untitled]’. But I suppose that, since I have to find a name now, I might just follow the lead of Quechua/Runasimi and use what its speakers probably call it, Yaazhgigzhoomnem ‘what we speak’. Yes, it’s clumsy, but no more so than Anishinaabemowin or Nəxʷsƛ̓ay̓əmúcən or Luxembourgish or Yankunytjatjara.

Now that the preliminaries are over, I’ll start with the

Phonology

The consonant inventory isn’t particularly unusual in any way (though it might be a bit on the small side), with 19 consonants:

Nasals: /m n ŋ/
Stops: /p b t d k ɡ ʔ/
Fricatives: /s z ʃ ʒ h/
Approximants: /w l j/
Trill: /r/

The romanization is just IPA, with the exception of ⟨y sh zh ng⟩ for /j ʃ ʒ ŋ/. Any ambiguities are disambiguated with an apostrophe: so ⟨yaazhiinga⟩ is /jaːʒiːŋa/, whereas ⟨yaaz’hiin’ga⟩ is /jaːzhiːnɡa/.

The vowel inventory is also pretty simple, with four short vowels /a e i o/ and four long vowels /aː eː iː oː/. They’re romanised as you would expect: ⟨a e i o aa ee ii oo⟩.

The syllable structure, on the other hand, is slightly more complex, with syllables being (C)(C)V(C). All consonants are allowed in both the onset and coda. The only exception is the glottal stop, which is forbidden at the beginning of a word. Consonant clusters are a bit more restricted, and only the following are allowed in the onset:
  • Any stop followed by a fricative of the same voicing (e.g. /tʃ/, /bz/, /kh/ but not /tʒ/, /dh/)
  • Any stop followed by a non-homorganic nasal (e.g. /tm/, /bŋ/ but not /tn/, /bm/)
  • Any obstruent followed by any approximant (e.g. /gw/, /sl/), except /tl dl/
There are no restrictions on consonant clusters between syllables.

There are no restrictions on vowels and where they may appear. Vowel sequences in particular can and do appear, though they are often separated phonetically by a glottal stop — so a word like /ʒaː.ojaːk/ ‘I am hungry’ phonetically becomes [ˈʒaː(ʔ)oˌjaːk], with an (optional) glottal stop. Such sequences are romanised with an apostrophe: ⟨zhaa’oyaak⟩ for the previous example.

Stress assignment is somewhat complex, though not phonemic. Primary stress is regularly given to the first syllable in the word. Then, starting from the primary stress, syllables are grouped into feet of two syllables each — except when a long vowel is encountered, which stops the previous foot and starts a new foot starting with the long vowel. After this, secondary stress is given to the first syllable in each foot. The exception to these rules are clitics and anything outside them, which are extrametrical. So for instance, the word mesh=woo-zhe-y-ya-kwaa-soow=nem-ek ‘(that) what you showed us earlier (ERG)’ (clitics shown with = sign) receives primary stress on the first syllable woo, is then footed as mesh=(woo.zhey)(ya)(kwaa)(soow)=nemek, and finally gets stressed as [meʃˈwoːʒejˌjaˌkwaːˌsoːwnemek]. Similarly yaagi-zhe-y-ya-ziing ‘they make me give it to you’ receives primary stress on the first syllable yaa, is footed as (yaa.gi)(zhey.ya)(ziing), and finally gets stressed as [ˈjaːɡiˌʒejjaˌziːŋ].

Theoretically, such an agglutinative language should have lots of morphophonology. Some of the verbal suffixes do have allomorphs, but I haven’t gotten around to formalising any morphophonemic rules yet. Hopefully I’ll come back to this topic in a bit more detail at some point.

Next up: word classes. (I think, though this could change.)

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am But it occurs to me that none of my grammars have ever gotten to a publishable state, so I’ll probably have to use a format like this given that it’s high time I shared my conlangs!
This is like conlang kindergarten: we all need to learn to share! :lol:

I find posting bits as I work on them has really helped me make progress. It forces you to crystallize some ideas but also takes the pressure off to make it "perfect". It seems like the Silicon Valley mantra of "fail fast, fail lots". I actually think these are helpful for other conlangers reading as well because it helps show peoples' process.

bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:29 am I’m sharing stuff I’ve already made rather than creating new stuff as I go, but hopefully it’ll be fine to call it a ‘scratchpad’ anyway. Later on I might change how I do this, but for now I’ll just see how this goes.
Perfectly fine. Some scratchpads are more scratchy than others. I've found some of mine posts are just ideas I've had for a long time, while others I'm just trying stuff out to see if it works.

bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:30 am I’ve used meshwoozheyyakwaasoownemek, yaazhshomsoowen, meshyaagireebem, yaazhgnazhabeyen…)
#swoon

Looking forward to seeing the structure since Jin is headed in the direction of very long words.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:38 pm I find posting bits as I work on them has really helped me make progress. It forces you to crystallize some ideas but also takes the pressure off to make it "perfect". It seems like the Silicon Valley mantra of "fail fast, fail lots". I actually think these are helpful for other conlangers reading as well because it helps show peoples' process.
Yes, but you don’t know what a perfectionist I am! :)

(Also, I’ve never really minded that I work very slowly; I find that I generally like the result after all those revisions much more than my initial idea.)
bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:30 am I’ve used meshwoozheyyakwaasoownemek, yaazhshomsoowen, meshyaagireebem, yaazhgnazhabeyen…)
#swoon

Looking forward to seeing the structure since Jin is headed in the direction of very long words.
The basic structure isn’t terribly complex: agreement-valency-root-valency-TA-M-NEG, plus a couple of clitics which I’ll get to when I talk about syntax. (If you want a gloss, I gloss all my sentences in the Conlang Fluency Thread, so you should be able to find a gloss if you just search for any one of those words.)

bradrn

Re: bradrn’s scratchpad (Yaazhgigzhoomnem word classes)

Post by bradrn »

Word classes

Yaagigzhoomnem distinguishes two categories of content words: nominals and verbs. The distinction is mostly one of morphology: nominals are those words which may take case suffixes, whereas verbs are those words which may take verbal affixes (person, TA, nominalisation etc.). In addition to these there are also a couple of smaller classes, most notably adverbs, demonstratives and numerals.

The two largest subclasses of nominals are of course the open classes of proper nouns and common nouns. I assume everyone here knows what those are, so I won’t bother redefining them. Possibly of more interest are the pronouns. The 10 personal pronouns distinguish three persons (four, if you count first person inclusive/exclusive), as well as three numbers (singular, dual, plural):

sdp
1(x)zhaagzhaaganikzhaagik
1(i)riiganikriigik
2woogwooganikwoogik
3yaagyaaganikyaagik

(Yes, I know those are a bit too regular to be realistic, but I’ve been using them long enough that I don’t feel like changing them. You’ll hear this as a recurring complaint throughout this description.)

Additionally there are (currently) four indefinite pronouns:

Somewhere: anolee
Someone: anopezhiing
Something: anogosh
Somehow: anogmoowe

As you can see, this is missing a bunch of pronouns, most notably negative and universal indefinites (e.g. nothing, anything); I might go back at some point and make those. (And that will be another recurring complaint.)

As mentioned above, other major category of words is the verbs. Verbs are rigidly intransitive or transitive; there ambitransitive verbs are few, or potentially nonexistent. (On the other hand, ditransitive verbs may always be used as transitives, in the same way as English: ‘I give it / I give it to you’.) English speakers may be tempted to separate out a subclass of adjectives, but these do not for a separate word class in Yaagigzhoomnem, being treated nearly identically to stative verbs (no matter how many issues Wetzer may have with that). Possibly there may be minor differences between adjectives and verbs (there nearly always are), but if there are then I haven’t gotten around to specifying any.

Of the remaining word classes, the most prominent class is that of the adverbs. These words occur usually at the end of the clause to modify the verb or clause. Examples include yem also, gmoowe like that, and the intensifier riʔaa. Additionally the adverbaliser -how may be used to convert verbs to adverbs: e.g. seʔpee slowseʔpeehow slowly.

Another significant minor word class is composed of the three demonstratives. These distinguish three distances: gosh ‘this/here, close to me’, kaang ‘that/there, close to you’, and syoob ‘yon/yonder, far from both of us’. As the glosses indicate, these words may act as both nominals or determiners denoting an object as well as nominals or adverbs denoting a place.

In addition to the word classes described above, one might expect to see a class of conjunctions. However, such a class is not present in Yaagigzhoomnem; what are conjunctions in other languages are mostly replaced by clitics or adverbs. Most prominently, the two clitics =eng =eng and =shim =shim are used to denote ‘and’ and ‘or’ respectively, being added to the end of each conjoined constituent:

Haazeng nooseʔeng yaazhkwaasoo.
haaz-∅=eng nooseʔ-∅=eng yaa-zh-kwaa-soo
stone-ABS=CONJ axe-ABS=CONJ 3s.ABS-1s.ERG-see-PST.IMPF
I saw the stone and the axe.

(Apologies for the contrived sentence, but it’s what I have in my grammar.)

When conjoining clauses, another option is asyndetic coordination. This naturally leads to the use of adverbs as conjunctions, by adding the appropriate adverb to the second sentence. Common choices are reeʔ ‘on the contrary’, yem ‘also’. For instance:

Yaahawop, yaazhzhiimen reeʔ.
yaa-hawop-∅ yaa-zh-zhiim-∅-en reeʔ
3s.ABS-see-PRES.IMPF 3s.ABS-1s.ERG-understand-PRES.IMPF-NEG on.contrary
It’s simple, but (lit. on the contrary) I don’t understand it.

Finally, I should mention the class of interrogatives. As usual for interrogatives, this category cross-cuts the others, since each interrogative can be treated as a member of a different word class:

Who (noun): pezhiingbe
What (noun): goshbe
Where (demonstrative): leebe
How (i.e. in what manner; adverb): gmoowebe
Why (i.e. for what reason; adverb): diyeebe

Next: verbal inflection.

DesEsseintes

Post by DesEsseintes »

I really like the aesthetic of this language. Reminds me of Ojibwe.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

DesEsseintes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 am I really like the aesthetic of this language. Reminds me of Ojibwe.
Thank you! And yes, Ojibwe was indeed my main inspiration. (Even the weird clusters: the first I saw of Ojibwe was some Nishnaabemwin in zompist’s ALC, and by the time I encountered the more standard Anishinaabemowin dialect I had already internalised Ojibwe as having weird consonant clusters.)

Oh, and by the way, a tiny addition: in my previous post here, I forgot to mention the word class of postpositions, which behave exactly as you think they would. There’s not much else to say about them, so I won’t.

bradrn

Re: bradrn’s scratchpad (Yaazhgigzhoomnem verbal inflection)

Post by bradrn »

In other news: Yaazhgigzhoomnem is now officially a conlang! I received a PM from one Janko Gorenc, and I am honoured to inscribe the name and numbers of Yaazhgigzhoomnem in his list of conlangs.

Verbal inflection

Yaazhgigzhoomnem verbs are fairly heavily inflected. In terms of inflectional categories, there isn’t really anything of particular note here, with verbs being inflected for pretty much exactly what you would expect: polypersonal person/number agreement, TAM and polarity, as well as a couple of valency-changing affixes. As usual, these can be arranged in a verbal template, with 4 prefix slots and 5 suffix slots (plus the root):

-4. Absolutive agreement
-3. Indirect object agreement
-2. Ergative agreement (or reflexive)
-1. Causative
0. Root
+1. Antipassive
+2. Tense/aspect
+4. Modality
+5. Negation

An example of a maximally-inflected verb may be illustrative (or not, but I’ll still give it anyway):

Waa-zhe-ygi-ya-ziing-soow-aam-en
2s.ABS-1s.IO-3p.ERG-CAUS-REC.PFV-SPEC-NEG
You may not have made me give it

This verb has all slots occupied, with the exception of +1 (antipassive).

Firstly: agreement. As seen from the above template, agreement prefixes occupy the first three slots of the verb. The verb agrees with the absolutive argument (almost always), the ergative argument (for transitive verbs), and at most one dative argument (for ditransitives). The person markers are clearly derived from the personal pronouns, and may be tabulated as follows:
More: show
Absolutive:
sdp
(1i)zhaa-zhaaga-zhaagi-
(1x)riiga-riigi-
2woo-wooga-woogi-
3yaa-yaaga-yaagi-
Indirect object:
sdp
(1x)-zhe--zha--zhgi-
(1i)-ra--rgi-
2-we--wa--wgi-
3-ye--ya--ygi-
Ergative:
sdp
(1x)-zh--zha--zhgi-
(1i)-ra--rgi-
2-w--wa--wgi-
3-y--ya--ygi-
(Collapsed to save space)

Note that the absolutive affix (≈object) comes before the ergative affix (≈subject)! It is most important to recognise that this is the opposite order to what one would expect from English:

Woo-zh-kwaa
2s.ABS-1s.ERG-see
I see you (not *You see me)

Next, around the verb are three valency-changing affixes: the reflexive, causative, and antipassive. Of these, the reflexive is probably simplest: it decreases the valency of the verb by one, setting the ergative and absolutive arguments of the verb to be the same. The reflexive prefix is sa-, placed where the ergative affix would otherwise be.

The causative prefix is ya-, placed immediately before the verb. This prefix increases the valency of the verb by one, adding an argument for the causer. This causer becomes the ergative argument of the verb, with the former ergative argument being demoted to an indirect object. For instance:

Woo-zh-kwaa
2s.ABS-1s.ERG-see
IERG see youABS

Woo-zhe-y-ya-kwaa
2s.ABS-1s.IO-3s.ERG-see
S/heERG makes meIO see youABS

Predictably, this causes problems with ditransitive verbs, which get two indirect arguments when causativised. Of these, the verb agrees only with the causee rather than the former indirect object:

Yaa-we-zh-ziing
3s.ABS-2s.IO-1s.ERG-give
IERG give itABS to youIO

Woog-ii yaa-zhe-ygi-ya-ziing
2s-DAT 3s.ABS-1s.IO-3p.ERG-give
TheyERG make meIO give itABS to youIO(unmarked)

(I must admit that working this out is pretty tricky: as mentioned above, the agreement affix order is delightfully counterintuitive, and it’s no fun trying to work out if I’ve got all the right affixes cross-referencing the right arguments. I’ve already discovered a bunch of errors in my personal reference grammar!)

Finally, as commonly found in ergative languages, we find an antipassive, which promotes the ergative argument to absolutive while demoting the former absolutive argument to an (optional, non-cross-referenced) indirect object. As usual for an antipassive, it also backgrounds the former absolutive, and has a somewhat imperfective connotation. (An excellent English example, courtesy of R.M.W. Dixon: compare English He drinks vs He drinks beer.) The antipassive is marked with a suffix -l (after a vowel) or -el (after a consonant), placed immediately after the verb:

Ngaʔo yaa-zh-wabih
food 3s.ABS-1s.ERG-eat
I eat food

(Ngaʔo-ii) zhaa-wabih-el
(food-DAT) 1s.ABS-eat-ANTIP
I eat (food)

Note that there are limits on the co-occurrence of these valency-changing affixes. In particular, the reflexive and antipassive both remove the ergative argument from the verb, so they may not occur together. However either may occur with the causative, in which case they apply after the causative (so e.g. the reflexive causative is Y verbs ZX makes Y verb ZZ makes Y verb Z rather than *X makes Y verb Y or *X makes X verb Z).

After the valency-changing affixes comes a suffix for tense and aspect. Although these categories are somewhat fused morphologically, all eight TA combinations remain available. Four tenses are distinguished: future, present, recent past and remote past, with the recent/remote distinction lying at the beginning of the current day. Similarly there are two aspects, the imperfective and perfective; the imperfective is both formally and functionally unmarked. Together, this gives eight TA suffixes:

IMPFPFV
FUT-wim-wimey
PRES-∅-(e)y¹
REC-soo-soow
REM-aa-aay
¹ This suffix is variable: -ey after a consonant, -y after a vowel.

Next is a suffix denoting modality. Four modalities are avaliable:
  • Epistemic speculation -aam denotes speculation about the truth value of a proposition (English may)
  • Deontic permission -ʔiih expresses permission to carry out an activity (English may, can)
  • Epistemic inference and deontic obligation, both -yek, express a deduction that a proposition is true/false, or an obligation to carry out an activity (English must)
  • The imperative -ʔoon expresses a command to do something.
Finally, we have the negative suffix, the last element of the verb (excluding any clitics which may be applied). This suffix is -n after vowels, and -en after consonants.

bradrn

Re: bradrn’s scratchpad (Hlʉ̂)

Post by bradrn »

Hlʉ̂

This is a new language I’ve been working on recently. Key features include a tiny (yet interestingly tonal) phonology, as well as an alignment system which isn’t quite ‘evilly twisted’ so much as ‘slightly bent’. I haven’t developed too much of it yet, so this will likely end up as a more traditional scratchpad series.

Phonology

There are 8 consonants, as follows:

/m n/
/p t ʔ/
/b d h/

Though a phonetic transcription may be more revealing:

[m n] ⟨m n⟩
[p t~k ʔ] ⟨p t~k ʔ⟩
[b d~ɡ~l~l̥ s~h] ⟨b d~g~l~l s~h⟩

/t d/ are [k ɡ] before /d/, while /d/ becomes [l~l̥] after another consonant. /h/ is [s] before /i e/, [h] otherwise. (Also /b/ may end up with an allophone [β] intervocalically, though I’m not sure.)

There are 8 vowels:

/i ʉ u/ ⟨i ʉ u⟩
/e ɵ o/ ⟨e ɵ o⟩
/a/ ⟨a⟩

These can take on five surface tones/registers: /à á â ǎ a̤/ ⟨a á â ǎ ah⟩. Also creaky voice /a̰/ ⟨aʔ⟩, though its status is ambiguous; see below. Underlyingly, some syllables (mostly clitics) are toneless; these syllables get a low tone if they surface. When it matters, I’ll transcribe those as ⟨ȧ⟩.

Maximal syllable structure is (C)(l)V(C) [EDIT: whoops, that should be (C)(d)V(C)], where the final consonant cannot be /h/, and an initial cluster of /nd/ is forbidden. Vowel hiatus is forbidden within the phonological word.

Creaky voice in Hlʉ̂ poses one of those interesting problems of phonological analysis you run into now and again. You could analyse it as a tone, since it doesn’t co-occur with any low tone, and doesn’t interrupt vowel hiatus (so e.g. *[plɵ̰.e] is forbidden). But you could also analyse it as a final /ʔ/, since it doesn’t co-occur with coda consonants and it doesn’t participate in tonal processes. I’ll use the latter analysis here.

Tonology

This is where it starts to get interesting. Hlʉ̂ tones are best analysed autosegmentally (I highly recommend reading Tengado’s introduction if you haven’t already). Underlyingly, there are three tone autosegments: H(igh), L(ow) and B(reathy). Each syllable is associated with zero or more tone autosegments (though not all tones need be associated with a syllable). Valid surface tones are the following:

Code: Select all

σ  σ  σ    σ      σ   σʔ
|  |  |   / \    / \
L  H  B  L   H  H   L
To resolve marked tone sequences, the following tonal processes occur to convert underlying tones into surface tones:
  • Contour relinking — the second (and subsequent) tone(s) attached to a syllable move to next syllable in the clitic group, if there is one and if that won’t form an invalid contour
  • Tone defloating — a floating tone attaches to the next syllable
  • Tone merging — two identical tones merge
  • Contour legalisation — the second (and subsequent) tone(s) of an invalid tone contour detach
These rules are applied opportunistically from left to right, e.g.:

Code: Select all

dab taʔ hlʉ=e nɵ   ══[TD]══>   dab taʔ hlʉ=e nɵ    ══[CL]══>   dab taʔ hlʉ=e nɵ    ══[TD]══>   dab taʔ hlʉ=e nɵ    ══[CR]══>   dab taʔ hlʉ=e nɵ
 |       / \   |                |   |   / \   |                 |       / \   |                 |       /|\   |                 |        | |\ \
 H H    L   H  L                H   H  L   H  L                 H   H  L   H  L                 H      H L H  L                 H        H L H L
Or, as a glossed sentence:

Dáb taʔ hlʉ́ ě nɵ.
[dáb ta̰ hl̥ʉ́ ě nɵ̀]
//dáb ˊ taʔ h⟨dɵ̀⟩í=e nɵ̀//
1 LNK cow ⟨PL⟩go=3 DECL

My cows go.

A somewhat contrived sentence, admittedly, but it shows off the tonal processes well enough.

(I’m not 100% happy with this system; I’d like to do a rigorous Optimality-Theoretic analysis of it at some point, which should be easy enough once I get around to properly learning OT.)

Phonological processes

The following phonological processes convert underlying forms to phonemic representations:
  1. The forbidden contour //nd// is changed to /d/ when it occurs.
  2. Vowel hiatus resolution: ɵ {a,e,i,ɵ,ʉ,o,u} → {a,ɵ,ʉ,ɵ,ʉ,o,u} and ʉ {a,e,i,ɵ,ʉ,o,u} → {ɵ,ʉ,ʉ,ʉ,ʉ,u,u}. (Other vowel sequences never occur.)
These apply before tonal processes: e.g. //dáb ˊ taʔ h⟨dɵ̀⟩í=e// → /dáb ˊ taʔ hdʉ̌=e/ → /dáb taʔ hdʉ́ ě/ → [dáb ta̰ hlʉ́ ě].

Basic syntax

Basic clausal word order is topic-prominent and essentially verb-final, as follows:
topic S O [verb complex]=S PCL
Though topic, S and O are optional due to widespread ellipsis:

Deb pa di á nɵ; plɵʔe a di?
//dèb pà dí=a nɵ̀ | plɵ̀ʔè=a dì//
tree TOP see=1/2 DECL; like=1/2 Q?

(I) see a tree; do (you) like (it)?

The noun phrase

I haven’t totally figured out noun phrases yet, but I’m leaning towards the following linear structure:
possessor/relative LNK noun adjectives numeral demonstrative classifier
Possessors and relative clauses (which are mutually exclusive) go before the noun. To use WALS’s terminology, Hlʉ̂ genitives/adjectives/relative clauses are ‘moderately differentiated, with genitives and relative clauses collapsed’: dáb ʔlí ‘my dog’ vs tʉ́p ʔlí ‘sitting dog’. The genitive/relative clause is joined to the noun via the ‘linker’, a floating high tone. (So ʔlí in the previous sentence is really //ˊ=ʔdi̤//; the breathy voice has been pushed off and is now floating after the noun, hence tʉ́p ʔlí dih á nɵ ‘I see the sitting dog’ vs ʔlih dí a nɵ ‘I see the dog’.)

The noun itself is pretty boring. As you may have noticed, Hlʉ̂ is pretty isolating; the noun is thus non-inflected. However, this is probably a good time to present the pronoun inventory. The personal pronouns are pretty minimal, lacking number distinctions and a third person (though distinguishing possessive forms):

PersonPersonal pronounPossessive pronoun
1dáb
2babab

For third person pronouns, use the demonstratives: ‘this/here’ bap and ‘that/there’ dahn.

The rest of the noun phrase is pretty much as outlined above: adjectives immediately following the noun, followed by numerals and demonstratives. (No numerals yet, though… sorry, Janko.) Numerals and demonstratives require the use of a classifier. The classifier system is likely to be very interesting, though I haven’t worked it out yet. A postposition can occur after the noun phrase; beh is optional after S/A (see below), while pa obligatorily marks topics.

The verb complex

The verb complex is even less well-developed than the noun phrase. It seems likely to contain a verb, followed by some auxiliaries. After the auxiliaries comes the negative particle plé.

Following the verb complex are the subject-agreement clitics, which make a minimal distinction of SAP vs non-SAP:

Person(s)Clitic
1/2

(Not that this is set in stone; at some point I might change this to conjunct/disjunct marking or something more interesting.)

Finally, at the end of the sentence is an obligatory ‘sentence-final particle’, mostly evidentials (and some other modals):

MeaningParticle
Declarative
Visualehb
Hearsaybap
Inference
Assumptionhleʔ
Questiondi

Alignment

If you know me, you should be entirely unsurprised to learn that morphosyntactic alignment is the best-worked-out part of the grammar so far (not that that’s saying much). Let’s get started.

Noun phrases are marked using a vaguely ergative pattern, with the A argument getting the ergative postposition beh:

Taʔ dahn blep beh ná dí a nɵ.
//taʔ da̤n blèp be̤ ná dí=a nɵ̀//
cow that CL ERG 1 see=1/2 DECL

That cow sees me.

Of course, there are many subtleties here. Most obviously, the ergative case-marker is optional. It tends to get used most often with inanimate nouns, but is rarely attested with pronouns. It’s obligatory when A is focused, as well as when O is topicalised; on the other hand, it is forbidden with topicalised A.

But beh isn’t truly ‘ergative’: it can mark some S arguments as well. It’s used only with agentive verbs, most commonly when S has contrastive focus; on the other hand, it’s forbidden with pronominal S.

Now on to verbs! Verbs agree with their ‘subject’ and ‘object’ (using the terms loosely). I’ve already mentioned the pronominal clitics and ; these agree in person with the A argument. More interesting, however, is the object inflection, where verbs agree with O in number. This alternation seems to be irregular, almost suppletive, a combination of prefixation, infixation, consonant and vowel mutation and tone shift:

[EDIT: whoops, forgot to account for vowel mutation in some of these]

(SG → PL)
nada
mamla
dábaglabâ glɵbâ
glʉ̌
dɵdí

But in fact, this is entirely regular, with plural inflection regularly being an infix ⟨dɵ⟩ after the first consonant. Phonological processes, allophony and variant underlying representations account for the rest:

//nà// → //n⟨dɵ̀⟩à// → /dà/ → [dà] /dɵ̀/ → [dɵ̀]
//mà// → //m⟨dɵ̀⟩à// → /mdà/ → [mlà] /mdɵ̀/ → [mlɵ̀]
//dábà// → //d⟨dɵ̀⟩ábà// → /ddàbâ/ → [ɡlàbâ] /ddɵ̀bâ/ → [ɡlɵ̀bâ]
//dí// → //d⟨dɵ̀⟩í// → /ddʉ̌/ → [ɡlʉ̌]
//ndí// → //n⟨dɵ̀⟩dí// → /dɵ̀dí/ → [dɵ̀dí]

All the above is for transitive verbs. Intransitive verbs, however, have the same inflections — only now, both markers agree with S! So clitics agree with S/A, and the infix agrees with S/O, with the agreement ‘doubling up’ for S arguments.

Exercise: Here’s a little exercise, to see how many of you were following along. (Also, to see how good my explanation was.) Translate the following sentences: Ná bab taʔ klɵ́ glʉ á nɵ. Klɵ é ehb. Dáb ʔlí dih é di? If you’re feeling really confident, write down a gloss and the underlying representation. (New words: klɵ = black, adjective; = ‘sleep’, intransitive verb.)

EDIT: Some corrections to sentences in exercise
Last edited by bradrn on Fri May 28, 2021 10:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

This is fantastic. Seeing the floating tones made me especially happy, as they're one of my favorite features but I so rarely see conlangers make use of them. Can't wait to see more of this!
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Creyeditor

Post by Creyeditor »

Nice to see some autosegmental phonology :)
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Finally had some time to give this a proper read!

The phonology seems super cool. I'll need to read through the tone stuff some more to wrap my head around it, though. Tengado's post on tone is now on my to-do list for when I get back to working on Jin. Thanks for the link.

I definitely like the alignment, although I'm totally surprised that you of all people would go with ergativity. ;) I don't know if you based some of the "bent" bits on a natlang, but this definitely feels natural. The interaction with topicality is a really nice touch, in particular.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks everyone for all the compliments! They are much appreciated.
Vardelm wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:22 pm The phonology seems super cool. I'll need to read through the tone stuff some more to wrap my head around it, though. Tengado's post on tone is now on my to-do list for when I get back to working on Jin. Thanks for the link.
Hmm, Tengado’s post is a good introduction, and gives enough information to understand my post, but it’s light on details and you might find it gives you too few details to actually make a system like this yourself. If you find that to be the case, you might also want to find a copy of Yip’s Tone (2002) — it’s a pretty comprehensive overview, as long as you can stomach Optimality Theory. (And even if you can’t, it’s still good as an introduction to what natlang systems do.)
I definitely like the alignment, although I'm totally surprised that you of all people would go with ergativity. ;) I don't know if you based some of the "bent" bits on a natlang, but this definitely feels natural. The interaction with topicality is a really nice touch, in particular.
Oh, it’s all based on natlangs. The verbal cross-referencing was influenced by north-western Papuan languages, while the nominal case-marking is Sino–Tibetan (well, mostly just Tibetan.)

(Oh, and by the way, this system actually isn’t ergative at all; it’s split-intransitive. I continue to use the term ‘ergative case-marker’ purely out of respect for tradition — I should really be calling it an ‘agentive’ case. These systems are actually really common, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a conlang using them, and I intend to write something about them at some point.)

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 pm (Oh, and by the way, this system actually isn’t ergative at all; it’s split-intransitive. I continue to use the term ‘ergative case-marker’ purely out of respect for tradition — I should really be calling it an ‘agentive’ case. These systems are actually really common, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a conlang using them, and I intend to write something about them at some point.)
Hmm. Some more examples might be in order to show how things are working. All in good time, though!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:08 pm
bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 pm (Oh, and by the way, this system actually isn’t ergative at all; it’s split-intransitive. I continue to use the term ‘ergative case-marker’ purely out of respect for tradition — I should really be calling it an ‘agentive’ case. These systems are actually really common, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a conlang using them, and I intend to write something about them at some point.)
Hmm. Some more examples might be in order to show how things are working. All in good time, though!
OK then, here you go. On most sentences, ergative is optional after A:

Ná (beh) ba dí a nɵ. ‘IA see youO
ʔlih dahn blep (beh) ná ídu e nɵ. ‘That dogA pushes meO

But ergative is required when there is a topic (and it isn’t A), or when A is focalised:

Ná pa, ʔlih beh/* ídu e nɵ. ‘As for meT,O, the dogA pushes [me]’
ʔlih pa, dahn blep beh/* ná ídu e nɵ. ‘As for dogsT, thatA pushes meO
ʔlih beh/* ná ídu e nɵ. ‘It is the dogA that pushes meO

And is forbidden when A is topicalised (one NP can only have one postposition!):

Ná pa (*beh), ba dí a nɵ. ‘As for meT,A, [I] see you’

Ergative case can also mark S arguments of agentive verbs (this is the non-ergative bit), when they are focalised and to the right of the animacy hierarchy:

Taʔ (beh) dába e nɵ. ‘It is the cowS that jumps’
Ná (*beh) dába a nɵ. ‘It is meS who jumps’
Taʔ (*beh) ʔunu a nɵ. ‘It is the cowS that is white’ (ʔunu ‘white’ is an adjective/stative verb)

So: A gets optional ergative marking (with presence dependent on focalisation and animacy), S usually gets ∅ but can be marked with the ergative, and O is unmarked. This is what I mean by ‘split-intransitive’ — S can be marked in two different ways. And, because of this, it’s not straightforwardly ‘ergative’ either, because there’s no case which is used for A but not S. (I’ve seen such systems called ‘loose ergative’ in natlangs, where it’s really common — Basque, Georgian, Tibetan etc. are all loose-ergative.)

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Thanks, & still very cool! 8-) I've looked at Tibetan & Basque, but I haven't gotten so deep that I saw any behavior like that. Neat.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

bradrn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am Maximal syllable structure is (C)(l)V(C), where the final consonant cannot be /h/, and an initial cluster of /nd/ is forbidden. Vowel hiatus is forbidden within the phonological word.
I think I missed something there. Why would an nd cluster be allowed in the first place? It doesn't fit the syllable structure.
Exercise: Here’s a little exercise, to see how many of you were following along. (Also, to see how good my explanation was.) Translate the following sentences: Ná bab taʔ klɵ́ glʉ á nɵ. Klɵ é ehb. Dáb ʔlí dih é di? If you’re feeling really confident, write down a gloss and the underlying representation. (New words: klɵ = black, adjective; = ‘sleep’, intransitive verb.)

This broke my brain, but in a good way!
And congrats. I'd love to do the same kind of detailed, idiosyncratic alignment someday :) and the tones are very nicely and again impressively done.
This is most likely entertainingly wrong! Like I said, this kind of breaks my brain.

I'm assuming you é is really meant to be .

Ná bab taʔ klɵ́ glʉ á nɵ. Klɵ té ehb. Dáb ʔlí dih é di
1sg 2.POSS cow black see.PL 1/2 DECL / Black sleep VIS. / 1.POSS dog see 3 Q
I see your black cows. The black ones are sleeping. Does it/ do they see my dog?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am Maximal syllable structure is (C)(l)V(C), where the final consonant cannot be /h/, and an initial cluster of /nd/ is forbidden. Vowel hiatus is forbidden within the phonological word.
I think I missed something there. Why would an nd cluster be allowed in the first place? It doesn't fit the syllable structure.
Whoops, that /l/ should be a /d/. (Not that it’s actually wrong per se; [l] is an allophone of underlying /d/ after another consonant.)

EDIT: Fixed!

This broke my brain, but in a good way!
Yes, I did try to make it as difficult as possible, sorry… But I’m glad someone has finally tried these!

(Also, I got the idea to do exercises from your Simbri thread, so thanks for the inspiration!)
And congrats. I'd love to do the same kind of detailed, idiosyncratic alignment someday :) and the tones are very nicely and again impressively done.
Thanks for the compliments! And, if this interests you, I encourage you to have a go at making a weird alignment yourself — it’s very fun! (This conlang was preceeded by pretty much the same thought: ‘hmm, I like weird alignment systems, why don’t I try making one?’)
This is most likely entertainingly wrong! Like I said, this kind of breaks my brain.

I'm assuming you é is really meant to be .

Ná bab taʔ klɵ́ glʉ á nɵ. Klɵ té ehb. Dáb ʔlí dih é di
1sg 2.POSS cow black see.PL 1/2 DECL / Black sleep VIS. / 1.POSS dog see 3 Q
I see your black cows. The black ones are sleeping. Does it/ do they see my dog?
First sentence: correct!
Second sentence: completely wrong, but I did make this one difficult. No, é isn’t a typo. Hint: All verbs must be followed by an S/A agreement clitic (at least for now, that may change when I figure out subordination).
Third sentence: correct! (In fact, more correct than me, since the translation I wrote down was ‘do you see my dog’, with the wrong pronoun.)

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Ah, is it '(I see) they are black' then? (That was my first guess...)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 am
Ah, is it '(I see) they are black' then? (That was my first guess...)
Nope, still not there yet. I’ll give you another hint:
What is the plural form of ?