On Neo-Kebreni

Almea and the Incatena
Pedant

On Neo-Kebreni

Post by Pedant »

So I ended up doing a lot of work when I was younger with Kebreni, translating bits of the Almeopedia and the like. Particularly the sections on clothes, in fact. The material is all still on the old board, and on a Google Doc of mine, and I'm curious as to whether or not anyone would be interested in my moving some of the stuff over here--maybe continuing to translate?
Naturally, the validity of all the words is at the discretion of Zompist himself, and it wouldn't hurt to get a grammar check at the same time.
Thoughts?

EDIT: come to think of it, the same applies to Old Skourene…
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
zompist
Site Admin

Re: On Neo-Kebreni

Post by zompist »

I haven't reviewed those, and I'd like to. Could you send me the Google doc?
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

zompist wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:34 pm I haven't reviewed those, and I'd like to. Could you send me the Google doc?
Of course! It’s a bit unorganized at the moment, but I can always clean it up a little before I send the link.
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

OK, I've gone over Pedant's list, and updated the Kebreni lexicon.

He added a mind-boggling 300 words, all with careful attention to possible sources, and even solved a few etymological puzzles in Almeology.

I have changed some of his words, for various reasons, but I really appreciate the great work and tried to use everything I could, and I've added an acknowledgement to the lexicon.

I haven't looked at Old Skourene. One reason I needed to get through Kebreni was to be ready to add words from past 3500.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Amazing work Pedant! I’ve always liked the aesthetic of Kebreni, but I do remember thinking that its lexicon was a bit on the small side — this goes a good way towards fixing that.

A couple of (very minor) typos/corrections:
  • In the attribution the language name is misspelled as ‘Kebrebni’.
  • ‘Meṫaiun’ is also spelled incorrectly as ‘Meťaiun’, though I’m not entirely sure if that one is actually a misspelling.
As an aside: does anyone have a list of words Pedant contributed? I’d quite like to see which words are new and which ones were always there.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

I think "Met'aiun" is an accepted spelling in Almeology. (see here for an example)

And I second bradrn's request! If only to better appreciate what Pedant's done. I'm also intrigued by these "few etymological puzzles" that Zompist mentions.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 am I think "Met'aiun" is an accepted spelling in Almeology. (see here for an example)
Thanks for clarifying! It’s just that everywhere else on that Kebreni page it’s spelled with ⟨ṫ⟩, so it would be nice to have it spelled the same way for consistency.
I'm also intrigued by these "few etymological puzzles" that Zompist mentions.
I didn’t even notice that zompist mentioned this! Now I’m really interested…

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:38 am
  • ‘Meṫaiun’ is also spelled incorrectly as ‘Meťaiun’, though I’m not entirely sure if that one is actually a misspelling.
Should be fixed. I tried both letters over the years, but settled on ť. The original intent was a t with a circumflex, which Unicode doesn't have for the lowercase. (Apparently in Czech, lowercase ť becomes uppercase Ť!)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:06 amI'm also intrigued by these "few etymological puzzles" that Zompist mentions.
What I can remember offhand:

M. kγuta (imitative) 'pig' > proto-Eastern *ksūta
M. kemupira 'hemp' > Cadh. conoplia
M. juba 'crest' > Cuezi yuvu
Cadh. Toťios (city name) < Toťioseugo

I think there's a few more. (I changed some of the details, but Pedant found the mysteries.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:38 am
Should be fixed. I tried both letters over the years, but settled on ť.
Interesting… I was under the impression that you had settled on ⟨ṫ⟩ for Meṫaiun and ⟨ť⟩ everywhere else.

(I also find it interesting that your ‘fix’ was not to change the single instance of ‘Meťaiun’ to ‘Meṫaiun’, but to change every single instance of ‘Meṫaiun’ on the page to ‘Meťaiun’!)
The original intent was a t with a circumflex, which Unicode doesn't have for the lowercase.
But it doesn’t even have uppercase ⟨T̂⟩! (Though tT with circumflex below ⟨ṱ Ṱ⟩ are readily available. They even correspond to the right sound!)
(Apparently in Czech, lowercase ť becomes uppercase Ť!)
My understanding is that it was originally ⟨t‌̌⟩, but the caron collides with the ascender so it was simplified to ⟨ť⟩. (According to Wikipedia, handwritten text still uses ⟨t‌̌⟩.)

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:36 amInteresting… I was under the impression that you had settled on ⟨ṫ⟩ for Meṫaiun and ⟨ť⟩ everywhere else.
Nah, I just hadn't touched the Kebreni page in years. So as part of the review, I did proper Unicode, and also reconstructed the sound changes in SCA2.
vegfarandi

Post by vegfarandi »

This is really great. Kebreni is my favorite Almean language, good to see it get some love :D
Duriac Threadhe/him
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

zompist wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:59 pm OK, I've gone over Pedant's list, and updated the Kebreni lexicon.

He added a mind-boggling 300 words, all with careful attention to possible sources, and even solved a few etymological puzzles in Almeology.

I have changed some of his words, for various reasons, but I really appreciate the great work and tried to use everything I could, and I've added an acknowledgement to the lexicon.

I haven't looked at Old Skourene. One reason I needed to get through Kebreni was to be ready to add words from past 3500.
Oh my gods, you finished the list? Hooray! And very, very glad to help!
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

bradrn wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:38 am As an aside: does anyone have a list of words Pedant contributed? I’d quite like to see which words are new and which ones were always there.
I have the original list on my Google Doc if you'd like. It's been updated somewhat (some of the words Zompist remade to better fit the feel), but they're all still there.
Spell Merchant | Patreon