Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Ryan of Tinellb

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

karaluuebru wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 pm next word: obsidian, volcanic glass
High Lulani: rukaga - ruka glass + ga black

If I were making the language for Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire, I would have course have rukajuffila, dragonglass.

Next word: coelacanth, or any kind of similar fish.
High Lulani and its descendants at Tinellb.com.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Ryan of Tinellb wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 am Next word: coelacanth, or any kind of similar fish.
Classical Salvian:

Girenāmar, girenāmo-galeus aprosphorus, the sharkfish: a species of Old Fish most resembling rebellatrix divaricerca, inhabiting the continental shelf of Pelia (and never venturing into deeper waters); not exactly pretty as a fish, something like a swordfish with piranha teeth and an enormous tail” (“biter-in-the-sea”)

Allutar, alluto-panaesches trogodytis, the cavern fish: a species of Old Fish most resembling latimeria menadoensis, found across the cavern-covered islands of Zakujama; thanks to its special “lung” that filters air from brackish water, an abominable set of secretions, and (to be frank) a rather tough meat, this fish is rarely found at table, and is literally called “the unpleasant fish”; other species within the genus have catfish-like whiskers that are said to make them more handsome to view”

Next: stained glass (individual pieces and/or a finished work)
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
din

Post by din »

Pedant wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 am Next: stained glass (individual pieces and/or a finished work)
In Tormoitt:
plîsî ˈplɪisɪi (n) stained glass {plî, lead + sî, glass}

next:
watch (timepiece)
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Poswa:
pupola "watch; small portable clock"
pupomi "wristwatch"

More likely than not, the second word would take over completely if watches were in common use, since if watches exist, portable clocks almost certainly do as well. There is also pupotša for a wall clock or something too big to move. The basic stem pupo- is used mostly in compounds because its inflected forms coalesce with many other words.

Pabappa:
peti "watch, clock" ... there is no semantic distinction, but possession can provide context. There is also petila for specifically a portable clock. The word for wrist is paraba, so if necessary one could say peti parabibam "the clock on my wrist" to indicate one's wristwatch.

These two words derive originally from a compound meaning "row of suns".

Galà
hotìgi, from tìgi "clock, sundial" and the wearable prefix ho-.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm next:
link, hitch; to tie two things together
biimoozhga /ˈbi.muːʒ.gə/ to join, combine, unite as two (intransitive) lit. join as two
dervied from bii to join, combine, unite + moozh two + ga as

biimoozhgayizh /bi.ˈmuːʒ.gæ.jɪʒ/ to join, combine, unite two things (transitive) lit. join two as one
dervied from bii to join, combine, unite + moozh two + ga as + izh one

next:
to submerge, go underwater
when the hell did that happen
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

bbbosborne wrote:next:
to submerge, go underwater
Keševan: sefise, sefio 'submerge, immerse in water', pretty unimaginatively made from se- 'in' + fi 'water' + verbal endings. The two principal parts I give are the infinitive and the 3p indic. non-habitual present.

next word: chimney
karaluuebru

Post by karaluuebru »

Yalensky wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:15 pm
next word: chimney
Tereshi:

ànoná
noun
feminine
a-type
1) smoke-hole, chimney.
Possibly related to àna to breathe plus an instrument suffix

next word:
canoe, small one person watercraft
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

karaluuebru wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:44 pm next word:
canoe, small one person watercraft
Icemannic Dialect 17:
Kitek “little canoe, one-person watercraft, coracle” (plural kitekat)

Next:
Superhero
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
masako

Post by masako »

Pedant wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:40 am next: superhero
Kala: payeko

paye - beyond; exceeding; farther than
-ko - agentive noun

next: wharf; port; pier
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

masako wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:06 pm next: wharf; port; pier
Icemannic Dialect 17:
Aihusuvungar “place that protects from the sea; harbour, haven”
Tekvunkuuma “pole for canoes; pier”

Next: lighthouse
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Pedant wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 amNext: lighthouse
Proto-Frislandic/Proto-Frislandian

*karu, *kərawə "fire, pyre"
*nešə, *nəšekə "coastal island, often from erosion"

> *nešəkaru, *nešəkərawə "lighthouse" (anachronistic)

Next: monkey, primate

---

Also sidenote but I would love to see more on this "Icemannic", looks very interesting.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Frislander wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 am *karu, *kərawə "fire, pyre"

Do those commas mark alternate forms, or is it a paradigm like in Latin?
Next: monkey, primate
Poswa:
One species of monkey is called poffape, which etymologically means "(one who) opens rocks in the forest". i.e. a reference to monkeys eating coconuts by breaking them open with rocks. In this case, the word for rock has a dual meaning, since it refers to hard-shelled fruits, but the compound could also be parsed as meaning "open (something) with a rock". However, strictly speaking, this second interpretation would have been ungrammatical at the time the compound was formed, and so it is merely folk etymology.

This compound was patterned after a previously existing verb, totša, meaning the act of opening a seashell in order to harvest clams or similar animals. This verb can refer to a human or a seagull.

Poffapembi papambeži, tabwapampuvop.
The monkey chased me out of the forest.

Note that the word for forest is much longer in modern Poswa; the -pe suffix is merely a classifier now.

next: ballet; synchronized dance
Frislander

Post by Frislander »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:41 pm
Frislander wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 am *karu, *kərawə "fire, pyre"

Do those commas mark alternate forms, or is it a paradigm like in Latin?
singular, plural
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Pabappa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:41 pm next: ballet; synchronized dance
Salvian: akkumuh, akkuma- “synchronized dance, Natyam (the Salvians have a number of different ways to perform magic, and one of them is re-enactment of particular scenes with symbolism attached to them in the hopes of generating the correct kind of emotional response from the gods in question; an akkomā or synchronized dancer is expected to be well-versed in dance-language, and like all practitioners treated with much respect and a little apprehension)”

Next: reveal more information from a written text (turn a page, unroll a scroll, swipe a Kindle/Kobo/etc.)
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Frislander wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 am Also sidenote but I would love to see more on this "Icemannic", looks very interesting.
(Grin) Thank you! I may see about starting another passage for it, then...
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Pedant wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am

Next: reveal more information from a written text (turn a page, unroll a scroll, swipe a Kindle/Kobo/etc.)
This one's tough, thanks ... I need more words like this. I don't think Poswobs would use a single word as their most common word for all of these actions, but nonetheless, a cover term should exist.
Currently pupuba means "draw, shed light on" so it could work as a word for "reveal". Although perhaps, for the device at least, it would be in the causative as they would see the device as animate and therefore capable of revealing the text by itself. Also, i think i would put the locative affix on, making it pupubam, to distinguish it from "draw". (Hence, "to put among the drawn/lit-up things".)

Perša wibopi pupubambebi.
I revealed the end of the paper.

Not really satisfying, as a cover term. For a page specifically, it would be more likely to use a word like sattafa "to turn around, face away", or pappepa "belt; to rotate from the back". Though the latter term is probably a better fit for thicker objects. So one might say

Bupwepi sattafebi.
I turned the page,
but
Poppepi pappefebi.
I turned the book over.

The verb for "uncurl" is tafšen ... but I dont have a word for scroll.

There are quite a lot of verbs in Poswa that I have defined as "to scrape, scratch; to drag one's claws along a surface", and they are all essentially equivalent to each other. For an animal that word would be confined to that meaning, but for a human it would be an ideal verb to describe the action of swiping one's fingertip across the glass screen of a modern smartphone or similar device. It would still also mean "scratch", yes, but the meanings could be disambiguated by adding a morpheme that means "violently", which in many cases produces a stem of the same length:

Nappypombi pipolebi.
I swiped across my phone.

Nappypombi pipebebi.
I scratched my phone.

next:
iris (of the eye; or a similar concept)
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Pabappa wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 pm This one's tough, thanks ... I need more words like this.
Happy to be of service!
Pabappa wrote: next:
iris (of the eye; or a similar concept)
Classical Berserker: Tɕìn-wooŋ “eye-rainbow, iris”
Changuyan Berserker: Zin2 Wong1
Tuysanese Berserker: Vōngṣin

Proto-Icemannic: *iikənapuiva “eye.GEN-[off-centre], iris”
Icemannic Dialect 3: puivangiviik “[off-centre].LOC-eye”
Icemannic Dialect 6: bīvanguhīk (see above)
Icemannic Dialect 17: iikäpövä “eye-[off-centre]”
Icemannic Dialect 18: íhpöf, íhpöva- (see above)

(Why yes, this was an attempt to show off my language families, why do you ask?)

Next up: hull (of a ship)
Spell Merchant | Patreon
masako

Post by masako »

Pedant wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 am next: hull (of a ship)
Kala:

oleuene - ship's husk

next: revise; to review; revision
din

Post by din »

masako wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am
next: revise; to review; revision
Tormiott:

îmoin ˈɪimʊin (v) to review, to revise, to check over; to walk through (process)
  • î- (pref) transforming, shifting, changing shape, becoming; redoing, remaking
  • moin (v) to walk

- - -

next:
to omit
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
masako

Post by masako »

din wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:29 am next: to omit
Kala:

soya - omit; delete; leave out