Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani OVS order)

Conworlds and conlangs
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Devani OVS order)

Post by Vardelm »

Last edited by Vardelm on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 83 times in total.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
aporaporimos

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Dwarven prepositions & case)

Post by aporaporimos »

What's your idea of the meaning of the "Affect" cases? I don't have a sense of what absolutive would mean for the object of a preposition, I usually see the term used for (one of) the direct arguments of a verb.

(Edited because I missed a sentence in the original post)
ἀπόλεμος ὅδε γ' ὁ πόλεμος, ἄπορα πόριμος
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

EDIT: Copying my original post down here for posterity so that I can change the 1st to be a TOC.
Vardelm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 pm EDIT: The original post is in the "more" below. I ended up being able to make updates such that I'm relatively happy with it, at least as a 1st draft. The link inside points to the same Google Doc, which has the updates. So no need to clog this thread with the post. I think I'll be able to post grammatical sketches fairly soon-ish.

More: show
Dwarven prepositions & case

Lately I've been working on my Dwarven language with some decent progress. Current work is on the preposition & case system (surprise...), and I have a rough framework in place. I've hit a bit of a wall, so figured I'd post to get some thoughts & feedback on the direction. This system will have a lot of interaction in the verbal system, so I'd like to get it fleshed out a bit more before writing a detailed doc on verbs. Here's a current working document for the prepositions & case;

Dwarven Prepositions Google Doc

Some explanation:

There are 14 cases that interact with the prepositions. They come in pairs. Each pair has a case that signifies a path/motion and the other point/location. The notions of path, motion, point, & location are metaphorical in some cases. I also have a label for each pair that is the "theme" of what those 2 cases are about. The cases are:

Path/Motion Point/Location
Control Genitive Ergative
Method Commitative Instrumental
Manner Essive Translative
Origin Ablative Initiative
Position Prolative Locative
Destination Lative Terminative
Affect Partitive Absolutive

I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about the basic function for each case. The commitative and instrumental would both be used for implements and tools used, as well as other people associated with the state (I.E. "with a knife", "with George"). The other cases should largely work similar to how you would expect and per descriptions seen on Wikipedia or other sources.

All of the cases are actually case particles appearing before the noun, and might be viewed as just prepositions.

In the document, I have a list of "prepositions" down the left side of the table. When used in a noun phrase, none of these can appear with just the noun; they all MUST also have one of the case particles. The order is preposition + case particle + noun. The prepositions essentially modify the meaning of the case particle. For instance:
e
case.LOC
vyrron
fountain

"at the fountain"
vs.
nysh
proximity
e
case.LOC
vyrron
fountain

"near the fountain"
The Google Doc then is a table to map out all of the meanings for each preposition + case combination.

Questions:

1) Any thoughts overall on the system?

2) I could use suggestions & questions about filling in some of the blank cells. I am definitely NOT looking to fill in every single cell! However, I'd like to use a few more of them. In particular, the absolutive/partitive column is blank right now. If it ends up staying that way, I'm quite OK with that, but it would be nice to have a couple items in there.

3) I could also use suggestions & ideas about more "prepositions" to add. In particular, I don't have anything right now for a benefactive type meaning (such as "FOR George").

4) Any other thoughts/comments welcome just to get me to think about it from a different angle as well.

EDIT: And here, my 1st reply:
aporaporimos wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:06 pm What's your idea of the meaning of the "Affect" cases? I don't have a sense of what absolutive would mean for the object of a preposition, I usually see the term used for (one of) the direct arguments of a verb.
I have those labeled more for their use without prepositions. The absolutive & partitive would be used for direct objects, which are "affected" by the verb.

As noted above in my edit of the 1st post, I made some changes to the table. I originally had a few prepositions using the absolutive & partitive, but decided against it, at least for now. The table still has that column in there just in case I want to make changes later. I think I might be able to post some grammar soon & give a better picture of how this language is structured.
Last edited by Vardelm on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

Cool, I look forward to it!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven Phonology

This is what I have for phonology so far. There's plenty of work to do in terms of making sure I like the syllable structure (consonant clusters especially) and to work out consonant mutation. I think this gets the ball rolling, though. It's close to what I had in the old forum with a few tweaks.

Consonants: IPA
Labial Coronal Dorsal Gutteral
Stops p b pʲ bʲ t̪ d̪ tʲ dʲ k g kʲ gʲ q qʲ
Fricatives f v fʲ vʲ ð ðʲ s ʃ x xʲ h
Nasals m mʲ n nʲ ŋ ŋʲ
Continuants l lʲ j ʀ

Notes:
  • / ð s ðʲ ʃ x xʲ / are voiced between vowels

Consonants: Orthography
Labial Coronal Dorsal Gutteral
Stops p b pj bj t d tj tj k g kj gj q qj
Fricatives f v fj vj ð s ðj sh ch chj h
Nasals m mj n nj ñ ñj
Continuants l lj j r

Vowels: IPA
Front Mid Back
Closed i y i: y: ʉ ʉ: u u:
Mid e ø e: ø: o o:
Open æ œ: æ œ: ɑ ɑ:

Vowels: Orthography
Front Mid Back
Closed i y ii yy ü üü u uu
Mid e ö ee öö o oo
Open æ å äë åå a aa

Diphthongs: Orthography
Front Mid Back
Closed ui
Mid ey oi
Open æü ai ay au

Syllable Structure
  • CCVCC
  • Onset clusters:
    • stop/fricative + nasal/continuant
    • < s sh > + unvoiced stop
    • < s sh > + < f v fj vj >
    • clusters agree in palatalization (no plain + palatal combinations)
  • Coda clusters:
    • continuant + stop
    • nasal + stop (homorganic)
    • fricative + stop (voice agreement only)
    • clusters agree in palatalization (no plain + palatal combinations)
  • Consonant length is contrastive (same consonant in code + onset of adjacent syllables)

Stress
  • Mostly 1st syllable
  • Can move to 2nd syllable if the vowel is longer than the 1st syllable

Consonant mutation
  • To be designed. I want to get the language mostly sketched & functional-ish first.

EDIT: Corrected /t̪ d̪/ to be dental since they were marked as linguolabial by mistake.
Last edited by Vardelm on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

I wasn't around on the old forum, so forgive my asking: are those... linguolabial stops?
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

aporaporimos wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 pm I wasn't around on the old forum, so forgive my asking: are those... linguolabial stops?
Whoops! Yeah, they were indeed marked as linguolabial, but are supposed to be dental. Corrected now & thanks for the catch. :)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

An interesting phonology. /ðʲ/ is weird, but it has traditionally been reconstructed for Proto-Uralic, though many scholars now believe it was something else.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:00 am An interesting phonology. /ðʲ/ is weird, but it has traditionally been reconstructed for Proto-Uralic, though many scholars now believe it was something else.
I'd be open to changing it. /ð/ is definitely staying, so what might that change to when palatalized, or would it change at all? I'm thinking along the lines of /sʲ/ having become /ʃ/. Might a /ðʲ/ have also merged into /ʃ/?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Vardelm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am
WeepingElf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:00 am An interesting phonology. /ðʲ/ is weird, but it has traditionally been reconstructed for Proto-Uralic, though many scholars now believe it was something else.
I'd be open to changing it. /ð/ is definitely staying, so what might that change to when palatalized, or would it change at all? I'm thinking along the lines of /sʲ/ having become /ʃ/. Might a /ðʲ/ have also merged into /ʃ/?
I don't know. I've just found on Wikipedia that Old Irish has it, so you may keep it.
My conlang pages
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

Vardelm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:37 am
aporaporimos wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 pm I wasn't around on the old forum, so forgive my asking: are those... linguolabial stops?
Whoops! Yeah, they were indeed marked as linguolabial, but are supposed to be dental. Corrected now & thanks for the catch. :)
You're welcome, though I was prepared to roll with it if it was intentional!

I'm straining my tongue trying to pronounce palatalized uvulars... is there any interaction between consonant palatalization and the vowel system? Ubykh apparently had palatalized uvulars, but Ubykh also didn't have a frontness distinction in vowels. Distinguishing /qi qy qʉ qu qʲi qʲy qʲʉ qʲu/, if all of those combinations do occur, seems like a challenge unless there's some allophony that makes it easier.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:27 amI don't know. I've just found on Wikipedia that Old Irish has it, so you may keep it.
I'm trying to remember back during the past year, but that Wikipedia article may have been where I got that from. There's a lot of Goidelic inspiration in the phonology.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Vardelm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:37 am
WeepingElf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:27 amI don't know. I've just found on Wikipedia that Old Irish has it, so you may keep it.
I'm trying to remember back during the past year, but that Wikipedia article may have been where I got that from. There's a lot of Goidelic inspiration in the phonology.
Yes. And that's a reason to keep it!
My conlang pages
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

I've been trying to figure out the best way to present Dwarven, but there's enough interactions between different parts so far that there's no way to desribe 1 topic without touching on the others. It's like describing the organization of spaghetti.

In the 1st 2 posts, I'm going to give quick intros to the noun & verb phrases that are just a list of inflections, particles, articles, etc., plus a very quick description of each. This is just to give an overview and context for the posts after that.

Dwarven: Noun Phrase Intro

The noun phrase has these parts in this order:
Preposition + Case particle + Determiner + Noun + Adjective

Adjectives
I haven't thought much yet about adjectives, other than they will follow the noun and might inflect for number.

Determiners

Dwarven has no indefinite articles, but does have a definite article that inflects for number:

Number Definite Article
Singular (n)y
Plural (n)yr

In both cases, the (n) is when following a word with a vowel.

There are 6 demonstrative determiners.

Singular Plural
Proximal vja vy
Media dav dyn
Distal kjo kyn

Case Particles

There are 14 case particles.

In addition, there is an unmarked "nominative" case.

Path/Motion Point/Location
Control
Method
Manner
Origin
Position
Destination
Affect
Genitive hu
Commitative acho
Essive lüra
Ablative voi
Prolative sæf
Lative öch
Partitive ja
Ergative æq
Instrumental nyð
Translative åvu
Initiative an
Locative e
Terminative lah
Absolutive

Nominative: sentence subject (before verb), verbal complement (after verb)

Genitive: ownership, agent
Ergative: agent
Commitative: companions or instruments (maybe forces, natural causes, stimuli, causes), possession
Instrumental: companions or instruments (maybe forces, natural causes, stimuli, causes), possession
Essive: manners, states
Translative: manners, states
Ablative: source, origin, path away from object
Initiative: source, origin, location away from object
Prolative: path of motion
Locative: location
Lative: path to destination, goal, beneficiary
Terminative: destination, goal, beneficiary
Partitive: partially affected patient, experiencer
Absolutive: patient, experiencer

Prepositions

Prepositions all require a case particle to appear with them. Which case particle is used will determine the exact meaning of the preposition. Refer to the Google Doc I posted before for a complete list:

As an example for this post:

Preposition Terminative Locative Initiative Translative
fældj to beyond, past beyond, past from beyond, past throughout, everywhere in

I do think that list will see changes as I make more example sentences & see what works.

As of right now, I need to still go through and create the word for each preposition. Hopefully soon....

EDIT: I forgot to post the suffixes for noun number inflections last night!

Number
Singular -
Dual -(n)oi
Paucal -(d)ava
Plural -ry

I think the dual might be just for "natural pairs", such as eyes, etc., but not 100% on that. Paucal would be up to as many as 12, but again, not sure on the exact definition yet.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

The 2nd intro post: verb inflections & particles.

Dwarven: Verb Phrase Intro

The verb phrase has these parts in this order:
Aspect Particle + Directional Particles + Voice/Focus Particle + Verb

Verbal Number Suffixes

Verbs inflect for number in 2 ways. One is for agreement with the subject, and the other is pluractionality.

Singular Plural Distributive
Momentane -ys -essa -ysach
Durative -ayd -ið -ach
Iterative -ry -deyr -rych
Habitual -ym -maan -mach

Notes:
  • Plural agreement is used by dual, paucal, plural noun numbers
  • Distributive agreement is the same as plural but when the actions are all individual rather than collective
  • Momentane is used for a single instance of non-punctual actions, like waving just 1 wave instead of waving your hand several times
  • Durative is the default pluractionality and may refer to any actions: punctual, durative, etc.
  • Iterative is for repeated episodes within a relatively short time
  • Habitual is ... habitual. Often repeated actions over a long period of time.

EDIT: Changed the note to refer to "durative" instead of "episodic".

Voice / Focus Particles

Dwarven employs a Philippine-style focus/voice system. It has a total of 7 voices, but instead of verbal affixes, it uses particles. Yes, those particles are the case particles from the "locational" series of noun cases. This might change, but I'm going to float it out there to see if it passes the ZBB sniff test. :lol:

Control æq
Method nyð
Manner åvu
Origin an
Position e
Destination lah
Affect

Adverbial Directionals

I view Dwarven as highly sensitive to space and motion. As such, it uses particles with the verb that act much like directionals in Qiangic languages, Adyghe, and Karuk, and verbs of motion in Russian. The particles can have literal or metaphorical meanings. In addition, they are used in a large number of verbal utterances since they also change a verb from a gnomic aspect to episodic.

andative vig
venitive alk
forward ðu
backward sais
rightward djon
leftward san
upward qis
downward hul
inward sha
outward möch
clockwise shyd
counterclockwise laid
random fjoma
uphill ñoq
downhill glöq
mountainward vjæn
riverward rol
upriver iru
downriver ulru
surfaceward aucha
cavernward åmau
northward tuch
southward sul
eastward ayfa
westward ösh

Notes:
  • Random isn't purely "random", but means "to & fro, all over"
  • Surfaceward means towards the external world outside of cavern complexes
  • Cavernward is the opposite, meaning deeper into a cavern complex
  • Upward & downward are generally used for smaller altitude changes than for hills & mountains
  • Likewise, inward & outward are for smaller transitions than cavernward & surfaceward (such as into/out of an individual room)

Prepositional Directionals

Prepositions can also be used as directional particles. Unlike nouns, the prepositions do NOT require a "noun case" particle with the verb. Those are used for the voice/focus/trigger system mentioned above. For easy reference, here's the Google Docs sheet link again:

Aspect Particles

Finally, Dwarven has 4 aspectual particles. Dwarven does not inflect/mark for tense. All 4 aspects can be used with any time reference, although prospective would be rare when used for an utterance about the future (IE "will be going to...").

Retrospective kæl
Cessative fjo
Inceptive chöna
Prospective myn

Notes:
  • Retrospective = "have verbed"
  • Cessative = "stop verbing"
  • Inceptive = "start verbing"
  • Prospective = "going to verb"

That's it! With this post, I think the general shape of Dwarven might start to be visible.

EDIT: I updated the chart & descriptions since I decided last night to go with "durative" instead of "episodic" for the aspect.
Last edited by Vardelm on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with the "voice" particles... can you give an example sentence or two? I don't know anything about Austronesian alignment so I can't contribute to the sniff test, but if the same particle is used both with the verb and with the noun I would suspect it's more of a determiner/pronoun than a voice marker.

I like the long list of directionals... it makes the language feel "embodied" in its geography. Can you expand on the comment that the directionals change verbs from gnomic aspect to episodic? Is this different from the episodic pluractionality that's marked on the verb?

Also, why call myn "prospective" rather than just "future"? You say it's "rare when used for an utterance about the future" which confused me since the gloss "going to verb" suggests referring to the future is its main use. (I get that you mean it's unlikely to be used for "future with respect to a reference point which is also future," but future-relative-to-a-present-reference-point is still, well, the future.)
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

aporaporimos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 am...
Short answer is that I'll be making a bunch more posts that should answer most or all of this. I haven't worked through every detail of the language, so I'm sure there will still be bits I need to rethink & revise.

aporaporimos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 amI get that you mean it's unlikely to be used for "future with respect to a reference point which is also future," ...
Yep, that's what I meant. Aspect will be a much later post. Directionals, voice, adjuncts, & transitivity are far more important for understanding the structure.
Vardelm

Re: Vardelm's Scratchpad (NP: Dwarven Verb Phrase Intro)

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven: Basic Sentences

Starting to get into the meat & taters! This post is going to discuss intransitive sentences as a starting point. Take this example:

Vardelm
Vardelm
chæmayd
walks

Vardelm walks.

Notes:
  • Word order is (obviously) Subject-Verb.
  • The subject does not get a case particle. This is because the subject is in the nominative case. This indicates only that the noun is the subject, by virtue of appearing in front of the verb. The nominative "case" here, unlike most languages, does not imply anything about agentivity, control, thematic relation, topicality, etc. The nominative case is actually only .... errr... "nominally" a case. It just means there is no case particle appearing.
  • The subject is singular & not marked with a definite article (more in a bit).
  • The verb is as unmarked as it can be in a sentence. It has a -ayd suffix for subject number agreement, but no preverb particles.
  • Because the verb is (mostly) unmarked, it has a gnomic aspect. It expresses a general truth, which can convey potential. In this case, "Vardelm walks" says that yes, in fact, Vardelm does walk. He has the capability for doing so. This is NOT a habitual; Vardelm might walk very infrequently. This simple form just states that it can & (probably) does happen.
    • Get it? Gnomic.... dwarves... gnomes.... *ahem* Never mind. :roll:

Nominal, Adjectival, & Prepositional Predicates

The verb ða "to be" can be used with a complement to form other sentence types. The complement must appear immediately following the verb. I think adverbs might eventually follow the verb, and complements would come before those.

Like other verbs, it also inflects for number. For now, I'm using the same suffixes, but this may (proably will?) change in the future since "to be" is a likely candidate for irregularity.

Vardelm
Vardelm
ðayd
is.SNG
qjuralg
warrior

Vardelm is a warrior.
  • The noun complement - qjuralg "warrior" in this case - appears in the nominative "case", just like the subject, and does not get a noun case particle.

Vardelm
Vardelm
ðayd
is.SNG
mjedoil
smart

Vardelm is smart.
  • As mentioned, I haven't thought much about adjectives, but here I think the same form would be used as when modifying a noun. I like the idea of adjectives agreeing with their noun head in number, which would make that show up here too.

Vardelm
Vardelm
ðayd
is.SNG
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is at a park.
  • I'm not sure how well prepositional predicates work with a gnostic aspect. Perhaps these would not be gnostic by default? Not sure. Anyway...
  • For "prepositional predicates", the complement must appear with - at minimum - one of the case particles. Here, it's the locative case particle, so filnjåd "park" is considered to be in the locative case.

Vardelm
Vardelm
ðayd
is.SNG
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is in a park.
  • Prepositional predicates can also appear with an actual preposition! Prepositions require a case particle on their object noun.

Number and Definite Articles

Nouns can be singular, dual, paucal, or plural in number. Nouns can also take a definite article, which agrees in number with the noun. It was also mentioned that verbs agree in number with the subject. Here's a look.

qjuralg
warrior
ðayd
is.SNG
tjorku
tough

A warrior is tough.

y
the.SNG
qjuralg
warrior
ðayd
is.SNG
mjedoil
smart

The warrior is smart.

yr
the.PLR
qjuralgoi
warrior.PAU
ðaið
are.PLR
tjorku
tough

The warriors (a few warriors) are tough.

yr
the.PLR
qjuralgry
warrior.PAUC
ðaið
are.PLR
voi
from.ABL
tunych
north

The warriors are from the north.
  • The dual, paucal, & plural noun number inflections all use the plural definite article and plural number agreement on verbs.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Dwarven: Directionals

Dwarven will make heavy use of "directionals". These are preverb particles that indicate ... wait for it ... a direction. This can be literal (think of sit down, throw up) or they can be metaphorical (give up, burned out). There's lots of work to be done on metaphorical meanings, so frankly I'll be making up these glosses as I go.

In Russian, the "verbs of motion" can take directional prefixes. A similar feature exists in the Qiangic languages, which was one of my initial inspirations to restart the Dwarven language I was working on before (Tibetan Dwarvish) and create a proto-language for it, which became my 4 "primordial languages" project mentioned on the old board. Anyway.... In both Russian and Qiang, adding a directional prefix not only adds the spatial meaning, but also makes the verb perfective. Dwarven directionals have a similar effect, but it's changing from gnomic to episodic. This, along with the spatial element, are why directionals are central to the Dwarven verb. Take the 1st sentence example from before:

Vardelm chæmayd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI

Vardelm walks.
  • The aspect is "gnomic", a general truth stating that Vardelm is known to be able to walk and does, at least occasionally.

Vardelm fjorma chæmayd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
fjorma
around.DIR
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI

Vardelm is walking around (to & fro).
  • The directional obviously adds the spatial meaning "around, to & fro". fjoma "around" basically means "in many directions or aimlessly".
  • In addition to the spatial meaning, the verb changes from gnomic to episodic (non-gnomic). The default is for the verb to take on an imperfective/continuous/progressive aspect.
    • HELP!?!?! : I'm using "episodic" here because, AIUI, episodic contrasts with gnomic. However, I am also using the term "episodic" for one of my verb pluractionality numbers: momentane, episodic, iterative, and habitual. There, "episodic" is basically neutral w/ regards to aktionsart. Momentane is just just 1 instance of an activity (jumping), while iterative would be several episodes (jumping for a short bit, stopping for a while, then jumping again, etc.). Any suggestions for alternative labels to avoid confusion? Delimitative, perhaps?

Vardelm iru chæmayd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
iru
upriver.DIR
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI

Vardelm is walking upriver.
  • Just another example for comparison. The "adverbial directionals" will (I think) all refer the patient/experiencer/theme of the sentence somehow moving or acting in that direction (literally or metaphoricall) or - short of that - that the direction is relative to the patient/experiencer/theme. All of those should be marked by the absolutive case particle, unless they are the subject of the sentence and come before the verb. Again, I'll have to see how this plays out as I continue developing the 'lang. It's possible that each verb will have it's own interpretation of the directionals, especially since metaphor will be involved.

Prepositional Directionals

Prepositions can also be used as preverbal directionals. They can be used alone or in conjunction with an adverbial directional. Just like the adverbials, prepositional directionals also impart an episodic aspect.

Vardelm chæmayd shyna e filnjåd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm walks in a park.
  • Apparently Vardelm has been observed walking in a park before, so it's not unheard of.

Vardelm shyna chæmayd e filnjåd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
shyna
in
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is walking in a park.
  • Vardelm is currently walking in a park.
  • The move of the preposition could maybe be viewed as a sort of applicative, and the translation rendered as "Vardelm in-walks a park".
  • The locative case particle e is still needed since e filnjåd "at a park" is an adjunct phrase.

Vardelm shyna chæmayd shyna e filnjåd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
shyna
in
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is in-walking in a park.
Vardelm is walking IN a park.
  • The preposition does not have to be removed from the adjunct phrase! Just like Russian verbs of motion, the directional might appear in addition to the preposition in the adjunct. This just offers emphasis or clarification to the sentence.

Vardelm fjorma chæmayd shyna e filnjåd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
fjorma
around.DIR
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
shyna
in
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is walking around in a park.
  • An adverbial directional can (I hope obviously) be combined with an adjunct phrase.
  • Vardelm is walking around aimlessly, but it's within the park. Apparently he's just chillin'.

Vardelm fjorma shyna chæmayd shyna e filnjåd.
Vardelm
Vardelm
fjorma
around.DIR
shyna
in
chæm-ayd
walks-SNG.EPI
e
at.LOC
filnjåd
park

Vardelm is in-walking around a park.
  • More than 1 directional can appear together in the preverbal position. I think this might only apply to 1 adverbial and 1 prepositional directional at a time. More than 1 in the same category might be contradictory.
  • I think the order of the preverbal directionals would be adverbial - prepositional.

A final example:

yr qjuralgoi glöq chæmið öch y filnjåd
yr
the.PLR
qjuralg-oi
warrior-PAUC
glöq
downhill
chæm-ið
walk-PLR.EPI
öch
toward.LAT
y
the.SNG
filnjåd
park

The warriors (a few) are walking downhill towards the park.
aporaporimos

Post by aporaporimos »

Vardelm wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 am
HELP!?!?! : I'm using "episodic" here because, AIUI, episodic contrasts with gnomic. However, I am also using the term "episodic" for one of my verb pluractionality numbers: momentane, episodic, iterative, and habitual. There, "episodic" is basically neutral w/ regards to aktionsart. Momentane is just just 1 instance of an activity (jumping), while iterative would be several episodes (jumping for a short bit, stopping for a while, then jumping again, etc.). Any suggestions for alternative labels to avoid confusion? Delimitative, perhaps?
Maybe just call the episodic pluractionality "neutral" or "default" or something like that? There doesn't have to be a fancy latinate term for everything, does there?