The Index Diachronica

For the Index Diachronica project
Tropylium

Re: The Index Diachronica

Post by Tropylium »

One more interesting reference I saw a few years ago was a talk Tresoldi (2020) referring to "the case of the Index Diachronica" without much further comment.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Tropylium wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:56 am One more interesting reference I saw a few years ago was a talk Tresoldi (2020) referring to "the case of the Index Diachronica" without much further comment.
What I find more interesting is that it mentions SCA² too! And then goes on to present their own sound change applier. It’s interesting to see a sound change applier written by a real linguist — I’ll have to look into it to see if there’s anything I can use in my own one.

EDIT: Looks like this person is also involved in CLTS, which makes sense.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

A little puzzled reading this; I remember a couple academic linguists pottering around with automated sound-change engines back in the late 80s and early 90s. I guess that just died out without memory or issue? That's kind of sad.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

OK. I know bradrn needs credentials. Who else while I’m at it?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

fusijui wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:02 pm A little puzzled reading this; I remember a couple academic linguists pottering around with automated sound-change engines back in the late 80s and early 90s. I guess that just died out without memory or issue? That's kind of sad.
I do believe I saw one of those once. It was a rather strange GUI program with the most unintuitive interface I’ve ever seen. If they were all like that, I’m not surprised they died out.

fusijui

Post by fusijui »

Biting my tongue pretty hard, man. ;)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:30 pm Come to think of it…let me e-mail the authors and ask them what they would like to see out of it.

EDIT: Just did.
Thinking about this again… did you ever get a response from them?

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 pm
Man in Space wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:30 pm Come to think of it…let me e-mail the authors and ask them what they would like to see out of it.

I did not. I should follow up with Dr. Haag at least.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:11 pm
bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 pm

I did not. I should follow up with Dr. Haag at least.
If it helps at all, I know that academics often don’t mind if you re-send an email they might not have seen. (They’re busy, and stuff gets lost in the inbox.)

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

That does make me feel less self-conscious and bothersome.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:54 pmNot sure, actually — I’ve never used DreamHost. Perhaps it would be easiest if you just DM’d me the login details.
I'm in the process of adding the hosting (I guess I had it set to DNS Only at first). When it's done I can credential you.

Anybody else while I'm at it?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 pmThinking about this again… did you ever get a response from them?
Mr. López Porcheron responded;

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:42 am
bradrn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 pmThinking about this again… did you ever get a response from them?
Thanks very much for this!

So, at least according to Porcheron, we’re on the right track in two key ways:
  • We’re collecting sound changes in a database with a consistent format and phonemic information
  • The data can be processed using an open-source library (that being my own Brassica)
Which is good to know!

Mynodon

Post by Mynodon »

Hi all,

I'd like to volunteer to help out with the project. I've no formal linguistics training and just colang as a hobby, but I'd like to contribute.

I've been reading papers about sound changes in the Ryukyuan languages recently, so maybe I could start there?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Mynodon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:29 pm Hi all,

I'd like to volunteer to help out with the project. I've no formal linguistics training and just colang as a hobby, but I'd like to contribute.

I've been reading papers about sound changes in the Ryukyuan languages recently, so maybe I could start there?
Welcome! That would definitely be helpful for the Japonic thread.
A cat and a linguist.
Kev

Post by Kev »

bradrn wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:53 am
Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:42 am
Thanks very much for this!

So, at least according to Porcheron, we’re on the right track in two key ways:
  • We’re collecting sound changes in a database with a consistent format and phonemic information
  • The data can be processed using an open-source library (that being my own Brassica)
Which is good to know!
Hey all, I'm Kev (aka Mr. López Porcheron from the above images :D ) I'm interested in helping, but my current time is a bit limited. I can pledge a couple hours per week (which might not be much, but it's at least something). My background is a programming one, so anything programming related I can help with. I checked your Brassica library, seems pretty cool, though I'm not familiar with haskell.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Can confirm, this is the man himself.

Welcome to the board!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Kev wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 pm Hey all, I'm Kev (aka Mr. López Porcheron from the above images :D )
Welcome! Nice to have you here on the team.
I'm interested in helping, but my current time is a bit limited. I can pledge a couple hours per week (which might not be much, but it's at least something). My background is a programming one, so anything programming related I can help with. I checked your Brassica library, seems pretty cool, though I'm not familiar with haskell.
At least for the moment, I feel there isn’t a huge need for development work per se — the current website suffices for this early stage.

On the other hand, that experience could potentially be very useful for transcribing sound changes onto the website. Currently that process involves tools like git and YAML, which you may already be familiar with, but many other people here aren’t. (I hope to create a simpler submission process one day, but only once this project becomes a bit larger.)

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Just discovered a Mixtec Sound Change Database. It would appear from the README that the ‘sound changes’ in question are merely correspondence sets, but there’s probably some way to use this information somehow.