Natural languages and linguistics
Otto Kretschmer

False friends thread

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

List here the false friends you know
Ares Land

Re: False friends thread

Post by Ares Land »

The list of English-to-French false friends is probably too long to post here, but I'm taking the opportunity to complain that I still trip up over concurrence~compétition and librairie~library~bibliothèque.

That's what you get when you work in IT -- French reborrowed the technical meanings of concurrence and library from English.
Otto Kretschmer

Polish puszka (a can) and Russian пушка (a cannon)

Both from German Büchse
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

German Genie 'genius' vs. English genie

The words are also unrelated, as the German word is from Latin via French, and the English one from Arabic.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:02 pm German Genie 'genius' vs. English genie

The words are also unrelated, as the German word is from Latin via French, and the English one from Arabic.
This reminds me - German genial 'adjective form of "genius"' vs English genial
vegfarandi

Post by vegfarandi »

Icelandic setning (clause) and English sentence. I don't think they're cognates but they sound a lot alike and trip people up all the time.

Sentence in Icelandic is málsgrein (lit. matter/language branch), paragraph is efnisgrein (lit. material branch).
Duriac Threadhe/him
Otto Kretschmer

Chinese Ta pronoun
Polish ta ( demonstrative fem. sg,)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Otto Kretschmer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:01 pm Chinese Ta pronoun
Polish ta ( demonstrative fem. sg,)
Doesn't this belong to the False cognates thread?
My conlang pages
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

These come from Dutch and Afrikaans respectively:

D. epos (epic poem) and A. e-pos (electronic mail)
D. aftrekplek (meeting spot for illicit prostitution) and A aftrekplek (parking spot)

There are many more.
Otto Kretschmer

Russian okhotnik (a hunter)
Polish ochotnik (a volunteer)

Polish kucać (to crunch)
Silesian kucać (to cough,)

Polish koło (a wheel)
Silesian koło (a bicycle)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Stumbled across this one recently, sorry if it's been said before.

Khmer has borrowed a word for 1,000,000 from Thai, lan. This is often (as in English) preceded by the native word for "one." The result is that 1,000,000 in Khmer is muəj.lien
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

English publicist someone who professionally handles publicity-related matters for famous people, vs.

German Publizist a professional writer of non-fiction texts that are usually, on their own, shorter than book-length, such as essays, columns, op-ed pieces, or reviews.

(I haven't read that many translated texts recently, so I don't know if it's still as bad as it's used to be, but when I was growing up, it was almost as if there was a legal requirement that if you wanted to be a professional translator of English texts into German, you had to be completely unfamiliar with the concept of False Friends.)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm English publicist someone who professionally handles publicity-related matters for famous people, vs.

German Publizist a professional writer of non-fiction texts that are usually, on their own, shorter than book-length, such as essays, columns, op-ed pieces, or reviews.

(I haven't read that many translated texts recently, so I don't know if it's still as bad as it's used to be, but when I was growing up, it was almost as if there was a legal requirement that if you wanted to be a professional translator of English texts into German, you had to be completely unfamiliar with the concept of False Friends.)
If they're from the same root, and semantically related, are they false friends? Those kind of just look like friends.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Said the publicist to the Publizist, let's just be friends...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:14 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm English publicist someone who professionally handles publicity-related matters for famous people, vs.

If they're from the same root, and semantically related, are they false friends? Those kind of just look like friends.
False friends are quite often cognate, as is the case here. For another example I recently posted on the CBB, see English ventilator vs. German Ventilator 'electric fan'. Clearly the same Latin origin, yet different things.
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 am
False friends are quite often cognate, as is the case here. For another example I recently posted on the CBB, see English ventilator vs. German Ventilator 'electric fan'. Clearly the same Latin origin, yet different things.
Or even the perhaps most famous pair of false friends, Spanish embarazada 'pregnant' vs English embarrassed. They're apparently etymologically related, and as for semantic relations, I guess under certain circumstances, being embarazada can be quite embarrassing.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Additionally a publiciste in French is a lawyer specializing in public law.
Unless usage of "false friends" is different from French faux ami (which in turn, would make false friend a false friend!) a lot of false friends are from the same root and semantically related. I always understood the expression to mean they're false friends to the learner.

(gift vs. German Gift, affaire vs affair, to demand vs. demander...)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I think introduce and introduire might be worth a mention.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Only partly False Friends: English veteran and German Veteran both mean someone who served in a military, but the English word can also mean someone who simply worked in a specific field or profession for a long time, which the German word can't mean.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

I agree with what's been said here, but hear me out. My understanding of false friends is that they are deceptively similar in form, but the form doesn't actually help you.

If I know the word ventilator, and I encounter Ventilator in the wild, of course I'm going to assume that the two words don't perfectly match; that's how cognates and borrowings usually work. I would assume that Ventilator is a German noun that has something to do with mechanically moving air, and I would be right. It's not unusual that they don't refer to exactly the same machine. Meanwhile, if I know the word embarrassed, and I encounter emberazada in the wild, literally any guess at all that I made about the word, other than the fact that it's a participle/adjective, would be false. Any information I bring with me from English could only serve to drive me away from the correct meaning. To me, that's the defining feature of false friends. Any pair of related words in different languages will have subtly different meanings. That's just normal, and doesn't really cry out for a special descriptive term like "false friends."