The Computer And General Tech Thread - Software, Hardware, Questions, etc.

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: The Computer And General Tech Thread - Software, Hardware, Questions, etc.

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:22 pm
The key thing to remember about this exploit is the attacker already needs to have root access on your system... and by that point you're up a creek anyways.
Thank you, good to know. And for what it's worth, I've already replaced my computer's hard drive twice, so wherever my UEFI logos might be, I doubt that they're anywhere on my current hard drive.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If you're a member of a website, and you're trying to reset your password, is there anything that might lead to you simply not getting password reset emails? Even if you've put their entire domain on your whitelist? Even if you're exchanging emails with their tech support, and they've changed the email connected to your account to another one of your email addresses, and you're not getting the mails on that other address either?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am If you're a member of a website, and you're trying to reset your password, is there anything that might lead to you simply not getting password reset emails? Even if you've put their entire domain on your whitelist? Even if you're exchanging emails with their tech support, and they've changed the email connected to your account to another one of your email addresses, and you're not getting the mails on that other address either?
Have you tried checking your spam filter?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:26 am
Have you tried checking your spam filter?
Yes. As I said, I whitelisted the entire domain.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What's the best way to remove a single character from a pdf, without changing anything else about the pdf? Especially without messing with the formatting in any way? It should preferably be free, and should not require me to upload anything.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:26 am What's the best way to remove a single character from a pdf, without changing anything else about the pdf? Especially without messing with the formatting in any way? It should preferably be free, and should not require me to upload anything.
The only tool I know of that can do this is the Adobe Acrobat payware...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am The only tool I know of that can do this is the Adobe Acrobat payware...
Ugh.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am
Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am The only tool I know of that can do this is the Adobe Acrobat payware...
Ugh.
Actually, I just found this. You might just be in luck after all.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

A couple days ago or so I implemented what I call implicit compilation in zeptoforth, where one can execute things like the following from the REPL without putting them explicitly inside words:

Code: Select all

100 0 do i 2 umod 0= if i . then loop
What this does is when it detects the user entering a conditional or looping construct and it is not compiling, it starts an anonymous word compiled in RAM, which is finished when the conditional or looping construct is ended, and then the anonymous word is immediately executed and then forgotten. In this case it enables the user to list all even numbers from 0 to 98 without having to explicitly create a word and then execute it.

This functionality will be in zeptoforth 1.5.0, and is in the 'master' and 'devel' branches of the git repository if one wishes to git clone it and compile it oneself.

For more information, I wrote a wiki page on this here.
Last edited by Travis B. on Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:09 am
Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am
Ugh.
Actually, I just found this. You might just be in luck after all.
Thank you!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have implemented optional S15.16 numerics for zeptoforth, in addition to the preexisting S31.32 numerics. Why would you want fewer bits in a number? In many cases you don't need all those bits, and using less bits means greater speed and less memory usage in this case. For instance, S15.16 numerics fits in one cell rather than two, requires only ordinary single-cell addition, subtraction, and negation operations, and requires only 64-bit rather than 128-bit multiplication and division operations. This is especially significant in the case of division as on the RP2040 there is no hardware 64-bit or 128-bit division, meaning that such division is implemented entirely in software, resulting in a significant performance hit, particularly in the case of the 128-bit division needed for S31.32 numerics.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I try to avoid falling into the classical "the technology invented between your birth and your thirtieth birthday is amazing; the technology invented afterwards is a sign of everything wrong with the world"-trap, but, well, I do have the impression that almost all the really impressive and useful technology invented during my lifetime so far was invented before I turned 30 - that is, before 2012 - and that most or all of the stuff invented since then is either completely useless or more harmful than useful.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Fun with spellcheckers: My Mom just reported to me that her Microsoft Word spellcheck (or, more accurately, grammar check) apparently can't decide whether to write a specific letter sequence as one word or two words. When she writes it as one word, the software "suggests" that she should write it as two words; when she writes it as two words, the software "suggests" that she should write it as one word!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 am Fun with spellcheckers: My Mom just reported to me that her Microsoft Word spellcheck (or, more accurately, grammar check) apparently can't decide whether to write a specific letter sequence as one word or two words. When she writes it as one word, the software "suggests" that she should write it as two words; when she writes it as two words, the software "suggests" that she should write it as one word!
I've learned to not follow spellcheck or grammar check myself.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am

Agree on grammar check, but I don't see how I could manage without spellcheck, even if only to catch typos.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:59 am
Travis B. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am

Agree on grammar check, but I don't see how I could manage without spellcheck, even if only to catch typos.
I more frequently write the wrong word altogether rather than spell words wrong, and spellcheck won't help with that.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 am Fun with spellcheckers: My Mom just reported to me that her Microsoft Word spellcheck (or, more accurately, grammar check) apparently can't decide whether to write a specific letter sequence as one word or two words. When she writes it as one word, the software "suggests" that she should write it as two words; when she writes it as two words, the software "suggests" that she should write it as one word!
How is the 'suggestion' worded? It may be that both alternatives are plausible, but both have a high possibility of being wrong, and that the author's intention is far too hard for the software to guess correctly.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Richard W wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:14 pm
How is the 'suggestion' worded?
I'm afraid I don't know, and I can't easily check.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Did you ever see a website with accounts that required you to be logged out in order to do certain things?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It seems like I have been making new releases of zeptoforth every day or two as of late...