Dream sharing thread

Topics that can go away
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: Dream sharing thread

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I never have magic that's supposed to exist work in dreams, so I'm a little envious there.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Had a fairly long dream that mostly took place in a large urban upper middle class apartment which was apparently based on an apartment inhabited by some acquaintances which I visited often when I was growing up back in the 1990s. I was trying to find a spot to sleep, but all the good spots were taken, and I couldn't find anyone whom I could ask about that matter.

Occasionally, in between, I found myself in a city that was apparently undergoing some kind of period of rapid growth.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I think last night I actually dreamed about the Roman siege and conquest of Syracuse during the Second Punic War. In a surreal way, though.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Two recurrent nightmares of mine:

1. I’m back in high school and I have basically done none of my calculus homework for the entire year.
2. I’m back in university and there’s some problem where I can’t graduate unless I pass this one class that I keep failing (Symbolic Logic, which I did actually have to take twice. Mental illness sucks).
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:25 am Two recurrent nightmares of mine:

1. I’m back in high school and I have basically done none of my calculus homework for the entire year.
2. I’m back in university and there’s some problem where I can’t graduate unless I pass this one class that I keep failing (Symbolic Logic, which I did actually have to take twice. Mental illness sucks).
Sounds very familiar to me. I often dream of being back in either high school or university (usually in an institution that has aspects of both) and I am missing classes, failing to do my homework, or running out of note paper. (In reality, I had none of these problems.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Oddly, I've never had any school dreams with the exception of one dream set at my old high school, but having nothing to do with school anxieties. Then again, for the most part, school was the less anxious part of my childhood.

Recently especially, I've had dreams where I have a vague goal to achieve, but I don't know how to go about it, or something actively gets in the way. I've felt very frustrated when I wake up but I often forget what the meat of the dream was within minutes.
A cat and a linguist.
alice

Post by alice »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:43 am
Man in Space wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:25 am Two recurrent nightmares of mine:

Sounds very familiar to me. I often dream of being back in either high school or university (usually in an institution that has aspects of both) and I am missing classes, failing to do my homework, or running out of note paper. (In reality, I had none of these problems.)
Bizarrely, I get dreams like these too, often involving upcoming exams which I have no hope of passing. Sometimes I realise that it doesn't actually matter since I'm already gainfully employed. I wonder what Freud would say.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I do get school dreams from time to time, but I don't think they are usually about being unprepared or failing exams.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Yeah, I often have dreams where a really long college paper is due in several days but for reason, I never got started and now have one week to come up with dozens of pages. Most of my dreams are not terribly coherent, though. The plot and setting change every minute or so to the point that it's hard to describe them as about anything in particular.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

It seems as if such school dreams are common. Three other recurring motifs in my dreams are:

1. I am walking impaired, or am outdoors without shoes, or both.
2. I am driving a car which I do not control well, often failing to stop it before a red traffic light or similar things.
3. I need to find a restroom but can't find a functioning one.

Again, I don't have these problems in waking life; #3 probably is a neural protection mechanism against soiling my bed.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

The night before last night, though it was probably actually during the day because my sleep schedule is really messed up, I had a dream where I was in a house with at least two floors. At first, I was on the lower of the two with a bunch of other people, and someone told me I was dreaming but that they [pl. not sing.] didn't was to wake me up because if they did, I wouldn't have had enough sleep. I then went up the stairs to the second of the two floors, and in there, I said, maybe to myself, maybe to someone else, that I wasn't sure where in the building I was. I might have been underground, on the ground level, or high in the sky. Outside the window, I could see that I was aboveground, and the floor underneath was probably the ground-level floor.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
elgis

Post by elgis »

This thread must have triggered my dream. I dreamt I was in a classroom with a bunch of other students. Then the teacher made the students sit in a different seat than the usual seating arrangement. I don't remember anything else after that.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

elgis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:29 pmI don't remember anything else after that.
Sounds like the results of the seating rearrangement were pretty dramatic. :P
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Last night I had a dream that I think was somehow connected to the Almea+400 project. I don't remember any details about it, though, and I suspect that if I did, I wouldn't be allowed to talk about them.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I had a dream so long i started to wonder if i was dead partway through it last night.
Darren

Post by Darren »

foxcatdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 am I had a dream so long i started to wonder if i was dead partway through it last night.
Were you dead?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoscript came out of a dream (seriously!). I dreamt of creating a high-level, dynamically-typed, garbage-collected language on top of zeptoforth, so I woke up around 4:20 am one day a few weeks back and immediately started hacking away on it so I would not forget it. (Getting up that early is very atypical for me.)
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Darren wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 am
foxcatdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 am I had a dream so long i started to wonder if i was dead partway through it last night.
Were you dead?
I mean i'm alive now
Darren

Post by Darren »

foxcatdog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm
Darren wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 am
Were you dead?
I mean i'm alive now
Oh good