Dream sharing thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Dream sharing thread

Post by Travis B. »

I dreamt that there were two different words meaning "Tibetan" in German, tibetisch and "tibetanick" in German that were used depending on one's view of the political status of Tibet and despite the fact that "tibetanick" doesn't look like a real German word. (In my dream I was wondering how in hell "tibetanick" could be real German.)
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 am I dreamt that there were two different words meaning "Tibetan" in German, tibetisch and "tibetanick" in German that were used depending on one's view of the political status of Tibet and despite the fact that "tibetanick" doesn't look like a real German word. (In my dream I was wondering how in hell "tibetanick" could be real German.)
There are tibetisch and tibetanisch in German, but they are pretty much synonyms, and tibetanisch sounds rather high-brow and old-fashioned.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
azhong

Post by azhong »

(I'd like to narrate the dream I had last night as a writing exercise. Thank you in advance for any language corrections.)

At the beginning that I can recall, in the dream I was walking in a city I had never come. Having gotten off a bus earlier, I seemingly was going to the place where I'd settle myself thereafter. Blocks after blocks of buildings stood high, some of them with eye-catching exteriors. Streets were wide and straight; the traffic was heavy but safe for pedestrians. I walked along, feeling few emotions but just reminding myself to draw a roadmap for getting faster familiar with the new environment.

The next scene I can recall: I was walking on yet another street again. If it was one of those I had ever passed, then I was somehow walking on the opposite side this time. Now, seemingly having found my place and having left it, I was setting off somewhere. I did know the name of the street I was going to, and I also knew it was not far, but I had no idea in which direction it was.

I got on a bus. Something special about me taking the bus: instead of sitting inside it, I stood outside it at a porch-like flat. As time went by, the farther the bus went, the more nervous I became -- I wasn't even sure at all if the bus would pass my destination. I tried to read the name list of all stops on the sign whenever the bus paused shortly at one, but my effort unexceptionally turned out to be a failure. Thinking that I might have missed my stop, my anxiety rose higher and higher.

Suddenly I saw a building with its unique exterior that I had noticed earlier when I was walking along the streets. It was totally in black, with a flat, square roof stretching outward, thus bigger in size than that of the building body under it. I made a hasty decision and jumped off the bus in time, without paying. Then, walking to the nearest bus stop to check where I was, I found a bottle of water there, the one having been left by myself earlier. I deduced then the bus drove in a circle, and I came back to the bus stop I had been. On one hand I was glad I didn't get lost, while on the other hand I felt depressed that I didn't move successfully, either.

P.S.: A self-analysis: The dream associates me of the situation I've been learning languages on the internet.
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
willm

Post by willm »

azhong wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:15 am (I'd like to narrate the dream I had last night as a writing exercise. Thank you in advance for any language corrections.)

At the beginning that I can recall, in the dream I was walking in a city I had never come been to. Having gotten off a bus earlier, I seemingly was going to the place where I'd settle myself down thereafter. Blocks after blocks of buildings stood high, some of them with eye-catching exteriors. The Sstreets were wide and straight; the traffic was heavy but safe for pedestrians. I walked along, feeling few emotions but just reminding myself to draw a roadmap for getting faster familiar with the new environment faster.

The next scene I can recall: I was walking on yet another street again. If it was one of those I had ever passed, then I was somehow walking on the opposite side this time. Now, seemingly having found my place and having left it, I was setting off somewhere. I did know the name of the street I was going to, and I also knew it was not far, but I had no idea in which direction it was.

I got on a bus. Something special about me taking the bus: instead of sitting inside it, I stood outside it at on a porch-like flat surface. As time went by, the farther the bus went, the more nervous I became -- I wasn't even sure at all if the bus would pass my destination. I tried to read the name list of all stops on the sign whenever the bus paused shortly at one, but my effort unexceptionally turned out to be a failure. Thinking that I might have missed my stop, my anxiety rose higher and higher.

Suddenly I saw a building with its unique exterior that I had noticed earlier when I was walking along the streets. It was totally in black, with a flat, square roof stretching outward, thus bigger in size than that of the main part of the building body under it. I made a hasty decision and jumped off the bus in time, without paying. Then, walking to the nearest bus stop to check where I was, I found a bottle of water there, the one having been left by myself earlier. I deduced then that the bus drove in a circle, and I came back to the bus stop where I had been. On one hand I was glad I didn't get lost, while on the other hand I felt depressed that I didn't move successfully, either.

P.S.: A self-analysis: The dream associates me of the situation I associate this dream with the fact that I've been learning languages on the internet.
I'm not completely certain I understood everything--in particular, by "flat" did you mean something apartment-like on the bus? And I hope I interpreted the last sentence correctly.
azhong

Post by azhong »

willm wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 pm I'm not completely certain I understood everything--in particular, by "flat" did you mean something apartment-like on the bus? And I hope I interpreted the last sentence correctly.
1. I think the word I need is "platform"? (I misused "flat" as a noun.)
"I stood on a porch-like platform outside the bus."
2. I feel "fact" is perhaps not the word I want, but it's okay since I'm just practicing writing.
Thank you very much, willm.

(May I have one more request? Could you please tell me some phrases or idiomatic expressions that you think I can learn and use them in the passage? I had a feeling I was repeating the same words or phrases because I don't know enough alternative expressions.

For example, I am not satisfied with "move successfully" in "I felt depressed that I didn't move successfully, either". I don't know how to express it more naturally, and I felt I had used "go to (a place)" too many times.

No need to spend time reading it again; just tell me any phrases that come to you according to what you can still remember now. Or just skip the request if none comes to you. You've spent a lot of time correcting it.

Once again, thank you.
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
willm

Post by willm »

Oh, yes, platform is right. "The fact that" is pretty semantically empty, and to the extent it has meaning, it means something more like "situation". If I were translating the sentence into Chinese, I think I'd drop the "fact" entirely (something like 這場夢讓我聯想到在網上學習語言).

You're welcome!

"Move successfully" is a little awkward. You could say something like "I felt depressed that I didn't get anywhere either"--"get" is a very versatile word. I can't think of any good examples of idioms to use, unfortunately.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

If you're specifically meaning "moving house" was unsuccessful, I would use "I felt depressed that the move was unsuccessful, too."
A cat and a linguist.
azhong

Post by azhong »

linguistcat wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 pm If you're specifically meaning "moving house" was unsuccessful, I would use "I felt depressed that the move was unsuccessful, too."
To begin with, thank you for your comment, linguistcat.

I wanted to say something like what willm understood: I can't get anywhere successfully after a 'bus tour' in the new city (and I am still in the new city).

Your understanding, however, interests me. Yes, indeed, the dream can be also understood in your way, an interpretation that I don't even manage to move to the new city and go back to my previous city. It sounds even more miserable.XD
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

azhong wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:43 pm
linguistcat wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:09 pm If you're specifically meaning "moving house" was unsuccessful, I would use "I felt depressed that the move was unsuccessful, too."
To begin with, thank you for your comment, linguistcat.

I wanted to say something like what willm understood: I can't get anywhere successfully after a 'bus tour' in the new city (and I am still in the new city).

Your understanding, however, interests me. Yes, indeed, the dream can be also understood in your way, an interpretation that I don't even manage to move to the new city and go back to my previous city. It sounds even more miserable.XD
Ah, sorry XD I skimmed over the description so I'm glad someone who read it more closely got you a better sentence, but at least you got a small laugh out of it.
A cat and a linguist.
azhong

Post by azhong »

linguistcat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:11 am Ah, sorry XD I skimmed over the description so I'm glad someone who read it more closely got you a better sentence, but at least you got a small laugh out of it.
No no, actually your comment has really inspired me. On one hand, my narrative is not precise enough, and OTOH the dream can indeed be interpreted that way.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I had a kinda weird dream, not because of the contents of the dream itself, but because of the fact that, while I dreamed it, I was halfway awake, and did a sort of running commentary on the dream inside my head. Has that ever happened to anybody else?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:05 pm I had a kinda weird dream, not because of the contents of the dream itself, but because of the fact that, while I dreamed it, I was halfway awake, and did a sort of running commentary on the dream inside my head. Has that ever happened to anybody else?
Yep. I get that kind of semi-lucid dreaming once in a while.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:52 am
Yep. I get that kind of semi-lucid dreaming once in a while.
Thank you, interesting!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have done that on many occasions, typically while I am dreaming but am quite close to waking up.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I dreamed that I was trying to send someone a text message telling them that it would take me a while to arrive at their place, because I was doing something else first, but I couldn't type the message because all kinds of things kept popping up on my cellphone.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Two for tonight (though really these were both this morning since my sleep was otherwise awful).

Main one I remember, I was some kind of creature in a big mall after hours, and was almost found out by a night guard but climbed up one of the support pillars and into the ceiling area before finding my way outside. And then running around a city. That was fun.

Second one warning for
And then there was some dumbass and his girlfriend (gf was my friend in my dream) and they were on a swing and swung into some low power lines? Despite things happening that should have severely injured both of them (lines wrapped around the guy's neck and the active electricity), somehow they didn't die or even have severe injuries but it was very close.... So not as fun but certainly memorable. I was calling 911 and directing people away from the power lines when I woke up from that one.
A cat and a linguist.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And I had another one of those dreams where I was following a work of fiction - apparently some kind of TV show in this case - and then I woke up and was disappointed to discover that the work in question doesn't exist in the real world, so I can't go back to watching it. Bummer. And since I'm so bad at remembering my dreams, I can't even recreate it.
azhong

Post by azhong »

(A writing exercise as well. Thank you in advance for your corrections.)

For all the past, based on my personal experiences, I believed objectively a person won't dream some events that are quite far from their experiences in real life. Well, it's naturally true that dreams do metamorphose, though; they turn from some real experiences into fictional ones. I myself also ever dreamed an event never occurred: I am still looking for the classroom for an exam anxiously when I have been already late. The dream turns obviously from a very common experience of attending an exam in the school time. Nevertheless, I've never dreamed something like killing a person, which supports what I said previously. Otherwise the emotion of anger to a person in my past real life should be theoretically just as usual as that of anxiety to an exam. I've not found out yet through what kinds of transformed events my anger to someone was performed in dreams. And the opportunity of success, sad to say, is quickly subsiding. While getting older and older, I'm losing my hormones more and more and getting less and less easily angry now.

One of my recent dream, to my surprise, disobeyed my presumption.

So far I've never taken any kinds of air vessels, nor have I ever gone in an airport. Flights are a type of particular events I have never experienced with, unless the relevant scenes I saw in the movie are counted. How can it be possible for me to have a dream of taking an airplane? Furthermore, in it there is even a very complete process with concrete details. There are, for example, different escalators for passengers and flight attendants separately. There are also tax-free shops. But honestly those shops in my dream looks nothing different from the stands in a temporary market.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

The vast majority of my dreams, which I can remember at all in the first place, are completely nonsensical, and I forget their content shortly after waking up. I have had very few "realistic" dreams that I remembered for long, the primary one being a nightmare clearly inspired by drain backups in my old apartment building from when I lived on the East Coast turned up to 11.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Given how I wake up sometimes, I think I must be coming off just-forgotten nightmares.

That reminds me — I once had a dream about a satanic restroom in a restaurant where my family sometimes ate when I was a child. It was very odd.