English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Re: English questions

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone know anything about the variant /æt/ of that? I have it and I have heard my daughter use it. And it clearly is not a variant of it to me; it feels like an allomorph of that rather than an independent word.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I think dæt is my most common register of that
Last edited by foxcatdog on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

foxcatdog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:52 pm I think thæt is my most common register of that
Considering that is its pronunciation in Standard English...
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm Does anyone know anything about the variant /æt/ of that? I have it and I have heard my daughter use it. And it clearly is not a variant of it to me; it feels like an allomorph of that rather than an independent word.
I’m not quite sure what you mean by this question… surely /ðæt/ is the standard pronunciation of that? Indeed, ignoring its reduced form /ðət/, I’m pretty sure it’s the only pronunciation I’ve ever heard.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 pm
Travis B. wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm Does anyone know anything about the variant /æt/ of that? I have it and I have heard my daughter use it. And it clearly is not a variant of it to me; it feels like an allomorph of that rather than an independent word.
I’m not quite sure what you mean by this question… surely /ðæt/ is the standard pronunciation of that? Indeed, ignoring its reduced form /ðət/, I’m pretty sure it’s the only pronunciation I’ve ever heard.
What I mean is that at least in the dialect here that has an allomorph /æt/ in addition to its more standard morph /ðæt/, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Note that this is not a general dropping of initial /ð/, because this is the only case in which it outright disappears initially here (even though /ð/ easily assimilates to preceding consonants).
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm
What I mean is that at least in the dialect here that has an allomorph /æt/ in addition to its more standard morph /ðæt/, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Note that this is not a general dropping of initial /ð/, because this is the only case in which it outright disappears initially here (even though /ð/ easily assimilates to preceding consonants).
Oh, sorry, misread /æt/ as /æ/.

salem

Post by salem »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm
I happen to also have a Milwaukee accent (though I've lived out of state for almost three years so it's being diluted I'm sure), and I also have this sort of elided that, though for me it often has an initial consonant something like [ɰ~ʁ̞], which is sort of parallel to my /l/ and /r/, which have both "darkened coronal" and "fully dorsal but not vocalized" realizations. I agree that this doesn't happen with all /ð/ words yet, but to me it seems like that allophony spreading first to high-frequency words, and I've also noticed it happening (in my own speech and in others') in the, this, and though.

Edit – come to think of it, it could also be a generalization of the themem alternation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

salem wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 am Edit – come to think of it, it could also be a generalization of the themem alternation.
The thing about the them~em alternation is that em is not etymologically related to them (it is derived from Middle English hem), and em practically always exists as a clitic, generally after a verb, whereas /æt/ for that seems to most commonly show up utterance-initially (I cannot recall saying or hearing it in the middle of an utterance).
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Can /æt/ take initial glottal stop? It can't for me, and it varies with [ð̞æt] with a [ð̞] that's barely there.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

I never have this except in the standard attaboy/attagirl.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:29 pm Can /æt/ take initial glottal stop? It can't for me, and it varies with [ð̞æt] with a [ð̞] that's barely there.
That sounds right to me; it sounds odd when I try to pronounce it with an initial glottal stop.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Space60 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm
Oh, is that what ‘attaboy’ is supposed to mean? (Mind you, not that that makes sense anyway… ‘that’s a boy’?)

Darren

Post by Darren »

bradrn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 am
Oh, is that what ‘attaboy’ is supposed to mean? (Mind you, not that that makes sense anyway… ‘that’s a boy’?)
'that's my boy' makes sense
Space60

Post by Space60 »

Darren wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:08 am
bradrn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 am

'that's my boy' makes sense
According to Wiktionary and Merriam Webster online "attaboy" is an alteration of "that's the boy!".
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

The pronunciation of that as /at/ is common in Scots and the dialects of Northern England; like many other features of Anglic varieties sitting above the Humber-Lune line, this is probably at least in part attributable to Scandinavian influence (c.f. Old Norse at, Icelandic "that"). However, as I'm unaware of any exceptional Northern English or Scots influence on the dialects of the Great Lakes region, I suspect the Scandinavian influence is more recent in your case; lack of /ð/ in that could've easily spread into Wisconsin from Scandinavian-heavy Minnesota.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

/ð/: "Hi, I'm the least robust phoneme in the universe. Literally sneeze and I'm gone forever."
ZBB: "How could this phoneme possibly fail to show up where it's supposed to? Could it be the reflex of an archaic pronominal clitic? Are Vikings to blame?"
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Moose-tache wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:56 pm/ð/: "Hi, I'm the least robust phoneme in the universe. Literally sneeze and I'm gone forever."
/tʙ̥/: “Am I a joke to you?”
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Kinda, yeah.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Darren

Post by Darren »

I have heard it suggested that the Pirahã suddenly starting to use /tʙ̥/ around Everett was literally just a joke. Like they were bored and wanted to fuck with him so they started sticking raspberries in random words.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Darren wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 am I have heard it suggested that the Pirahã suddenly starting to use /tʙ̥/ around Everett was literally just a joke. Like they were bored and wanted to fuck with him so they started sticking raspberries in random words.
Isn’t it also seen in Wariʼ, at least?

(Personally, I think it’s no less weird than [ʙ], and that’s well-attested as a phoneme.)

EDIT: looking it up, apparently it occurs allophonically in Ubykh, too. (Although Wikipedia gives no source, which makes it suspicious.)