Soshul meedja.

Topics that can go away
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Soshul meedja.

Post by zompist »

Usenet was more antisocial media, amirite?

But yeah, humans gonna human. Fun fact: I met linguoboy through Usenet and by now he's one of my more longstanding RL friends.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I still see social media as primarily defined by the networking / user graphs / suggestions. So I'm not sure forums really fit.
zompist wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:57 pm Usenet was more antisocial media, amirite?
All communication platforms tend to end up as Usenet in the long run.
I used Usenet at the tail end, just before it was overrun by the spam and trolls -- then I saw most forums taken over by the trolls, and Twitter ended up following the same path, rather dramatically.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I think Usenet technically still exists, though it seems to be mainly a place where people download pirated stuff these days.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

zompist wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:57 pm But yeah, humans gonna human. Fun fact: I met linguoboy through Usenet and by now he's one of my more longstanding RL friends.
That’s cool.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:22 am I think Usenet technically still exists, though it seems to be mainly a place where people download pirated stuff these days.
Yep.

A huge surprise too: I checked a newsgroup I used to read back in the day; it's still there and there are people posting in it! (about 10 posts a year, though, counting only human beings, because there's still a bot dutifully posting the FAQ, which is a bit sad when you think about it.)
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

chris_notts wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:15 pm I just might know a lot of the rat and postrat people on Twitter... :oops: It's a weird space where people are mostly debate club polite but also more or less evenly split between anarchists, luxury space communists, NRx people, Effective Altruists, transhumanists, AI doomers, ... so that apart from knowing each other and having some kind of similar culture vibe it's not clear what the group actually agrees on.
I have a fulltime job now so less time on weird stuff, but they have a physical convention - Vibecamp now, and regional meetups outside the US as well, which is good.
One postrat has warned folks that having a common set of blogs (Starslate codex, ribbonfarm), they are not necessarily _social_ groups. More like a scene if you will
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I, for one, welcome our new luxury space communist overlords.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Ha - turns out there is an anti-rationalist site called sneerclub

An example post mocking a rationalist-adjacent dating app
@Soyweiser
English

I think it is just a consequence of those kinds of communities/people where your singular weird obsessions and inability to make room/time for the lives/needs of significant others drives people away, which when they are out of productive ideas causes them to go ‘why not make a dating site, lot of people [aka themselves] are lonely this could work!’ not realizing that they are partially lonely because they are in such weird insular groups with weird particular monofocusses. In the case of the Rationalists it is amusing this comes after the pua stuff and that it includes betting (which would drive quite a few people away).
And criticism from another site also:
So it's either Grothendieck or being homeless? QY could have finished his PhD, probably without proving anything significant, but still, a math PhD from Berkeley. He would then get a nice industry job, perhaps after a short postdoc at some MRM. After living a normal life like a normal person for while, he would probably become more capable of dating successfully. He will eventually turn out to live a m3ntally healthy life as a successful man by most people's standards.

Instead, he has no degree, hasn't worked for 3 years, no gf, no friends, no people skills, he is obviously m3ntally ill and he wastes his entire time doing acid and writing narcissistic trivial observations about himself on twitter. So, yeah, Yudkowsky's cult has ruined his life.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Is the ZBB under threat from those bills in the USA that would require everyone using US-based social media sites to provide documentary proof of age?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:07 pm Is the ZBB under threat from those bills in the USA that would require everyone using US-based social media sites to provide documentary proof of age?
No idea. I googled a bit but couldn't find any explanation of what the proposals define as social media or how they affect phpBB sites.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

zompist wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:11 pm
No idea. I googled a bit but couldn't find any explanation of what the proposals define as social media or how they affect phpBB sites.
Ah, thank you.
Torco

Post by Torco »

the other day i was recovering my linkedin account and i had to upload a photo of my id doc to some website that provided identity authentication services or somesuch. i miss the day where the internet felt like a frontier.