Ancient West Africa and Bantu Conlang 5 6 2020: Quick Grammar, Texts with Grammar Notes, Etc

Conworlds and conlangs
Bob

Re: Ancient West Africa and Bantu Conlang 5 6 2020: Quick Grammar, Texts with Grammar Notes, Etc

Post by Bob »

"The Epic of Son-Jara". Text F.

[ Something like the major enemy of the epic, the evil sorcerer king Sumamuru has been routed in battle and is about to be killed. ]

Text F. Page D. Page 96. Line 2862.
Sumamuru crossed the river at Kulu-Koro. And had his favored wife dismount. And gave her the ladle of gold, saying that he would drink, saying else the thirst would kill him. The favored wife took the ladle of gold and filled it up with water. And to Sumamuru stretched her hand and passed the water to him.

Okrand Atlantean (Mostly Proto-Indo-European) :
Nartak tesin-imot Gobish Hurok-tem bip. Gim tug-is dewan tugin nusim-id-eshimot. Gim tuh-ib sheyak-tem olab-ag pas-imot, basheb-e deg ush-onot, basheb-e Adleyk-ir moyshap-in sheyen-onot. Dewan sinog-imot sheyak-tem olab-ag gim ton-esh tok-it pel-imot. Gim Nartak-tem gom shayod tuh-in liten-imot gim tuh tug-ib ton-tem hegut-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang (Bantu Conlang) :
Ssumamuru a-li-vuka.kwa.miguu-a m=to pa==Kkulu-Kkoro. Na a-ish-to-panda.juu-a mmanamendigo-a. Na a-li-pa-a kata u=rangi.ya.manjano-aa, cchigi-sema amba-a a-li-ta-nywa, cchigi-sema ama.sivyo kiu a-ta-ua-a m=tu-a. Mmanamendigo a-li-inua kata u=rangi.ya.majano-aa na a-li-weka-a maji-jaza na kwa Ssumamuru m=kono-a a-li-nyosha-a na a-li-pa maji kwa-a.

Text F. Page E. Page 96.
Fa-Koli with his darts charged up.
"O Colossus, we have taken you!
We have taken you, Colossus!
We have taken you, Colossus!
We have taken you!

Okrand Atlantean:
Turtak adleyek-enesh tugin petol-imot.
"Teyeh-top, mohit behak-imkem!
Mohit behak-limkem, Teyeh-top!
Mohit behak-limkem, Teyeh-top!
Mohit behak-limkem!"

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ffa Kkoli naa wa-shale-dogo a-li-shambuliza ku==le,
Ddi Ookyira, tu-li-kamata-u!
Tu-li-kamata-u, Ookyira!
Tu-li-kamata-u!

Text F. Page F.
Tura Magan held him at bladepoint.
Sura, the Jawara patriarch held him at bladepoint.
Fa-Koli came up and held him at bladepoint.
Son-Jara held him at bladepoint.

Okrand Atlantean:
Ketak tugit shelap-imot keytum-eshtem pes.
Martag Peyes Martag-lant-ag tugit shelap-imot keytum-eshtem pes.
Turtak saldup-imot gim shelap-imot tugit keytum-eshtem pes.
Aktirak tugit shelap-imot keytum-tem pes.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ttura Mmagan a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Ssura, Jjawara chumvi a-shika-a ffaa u-bapa-kingo.
Ffa-Kkoli a-li-ja ku==le na a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Sson-Jjara a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.

End of Text F.

Here's some songs to go along with this text:

Billy Joel- River of Dreams Lyrics, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OurgbLABks

Dead Man's Curve Jan and Dean with lyrics, 1957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCuMPeSu9s

Come Fly With Me (Remastered), 1957
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gSFMQdGsc

Image: For an art theme, I'm using the medieval Benin bronzes from Western Africa.

"Benin Bronze Ceremonial Ladle, with handle featuring portraits of a man and woman, luck symbols of the mud fish, the two figures standing back to back on the half spherical bowl which has applied wave decoration to the edge and spiral to the bottom, 14" long, 3 1/4" wide bowl, encrusted. -Thomaston Auction"

https://www.pinterest.com.mx/pin/436567 ... login=true

You can find more Benin bronzes and such here, in an album on this group:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 845&type=3

Then here's a picture of the book that the English of this text is from. The Ancient African conlang is by me and then the Atlantean conlang is by the professor who made the Klingon Language, Marc Okrand.

Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
sasasha

Re: Ancient West Africa and Bantu Conlang 5 6 2020: Quick Grammar, Texts with Grammar Notes, Etc

Post by sasasha »

Bob wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm Ancient Africa Conlang (Bantu Conlang) :
Ssumamuru a-li-vuka.kwa.miguu-a m=to pa==Kkulu-Kkoro. Na a-ish-to-panda.juu-a mmanamendigo-a. Na a-li-pa-a kata u=rangi.ya.manjano-aa, cchigi-sema amba-a a-li-ta-nywa, cchigi-sema ama.sivyo kiu a-ta-ua-a m=tu-a. Mmanamendigo a-li-inua kata u=rangi.ya.majano-aa na a-li-weka-a maji-jaza na kwa Ssumamuru m=kono-a a-li-nyosha-a na a-li-pa maji kwa-a.
Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ffa Kkoli naa wa-shale-dogo a-li-shambuliza ku==le,
Ddi Ookyira, tu-li-kamata-u!
Tu-li-kamata-u, Ookyira!
Tu-li-kamata-u!
Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ttura Mmagan a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Ssura, Jjawara chumvi a-shika-a ffaa u-bapa-kingo.
Ffa-Kkoli a-li-ja ku==le na a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
Sson-Jjara a-li-shika-a ffaa u=bapa-kingo.
If you gloss this, Bob, there might be something to comment on.
alice

Post by alice »

Is it just me, or have I already read something very similar in this thread?
I am the ninth letter of the alphabet!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:44 am Is it just me, or have I already read something very similar in this thread?
Yep, looks like Bob posted the same thing twice. (And not only that, both me and sasasha said the same thing about it!)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Bob

Post by Bob »

sasasha wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 pm
If you gloss this, Bob, there might be something to comment on.
I hope to photograph all my notes and get them online in a week or so. But they're only partial interlinear glosses and partial gloss vocabularies with etymology notes.

I might gloss some of it more for show but it's a lot to gloss. I'm just typing it up for now and will try to get in some grammar notes here and there. Sorry if it's not that interesting. There's links and grammar given at the beginning of the Atlantean post and the African Conlangs post.
bradrn wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:37 am
alice wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:44 am Is it just me, or have I already read something very similar in this thread?
Yep, looks like Bob posted the same thing twice. (And not only that, both me and sasasha said the same thing about it!)

I'm doing posts to both that are the same because I've been requested to make separate threads for both languages when actually they're both part of the same project and best presented together. I think it's better that way because they have distinct grammars and concepts that are each presented in their separate threads.

The last few years for these huge conlang translation projects, I pair a conlang like Klingon, Atlantean, or Pakuni with a real language, especially one in a logographic writing system. But this text I wanted to use, The Epic of Son-Jara, was not bilingual. Which is crushing to me. But I used it as an opportunity to study the nice Teach Yourself dictionary and grammar I have for Swahili and my World Lexicon of Grammaticalization with its many examples from Niger-Congo languages, plus the core books from a local university library which survey all African languages' grammars.

You know, I was *this* close to not using The Epic of Son-Jara for that reason. Conlangs go very very well with real languages, in my mind. I even got someone on a Pakuni thread of mine here compliment me on translating Theogony texts by Hesiod with reference to Ancient Greek. There's power and draw to that. People can see how that's exciting, the possibilities for the future, a world that science is allowed to improve.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Bob wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 pmI'm doing posts to both that are the same because I've been requested to make separate threads for both languages when actually they're both part of the same project and best presented together.
I think you've fundamentally missed the point of what was asked. But then, you're not actually going to take the time to write some original posts on your work for the ZBB anyway, are you?
masako

Post by masako »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:56 amI think you've fundamentally missed the point of what was asked. But then, you're not actually going to take the time to write some original posts on your work for the ZBB anyway, are you?
Of course he won't.

And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, or noticed, but he's pretty much just recycling things he posts to Facebook...verbatim.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

masako wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 am And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, or noticed, but he's pretty much just recycling things he posts to Facebook...verbatim.
Honestly, I don’t mind all that much if he does that… I only really mind if he over-simplifies his posts to cater to a non-linguistic audience, and he’s been doing that a lot less in his latest posts.

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

masako wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 am And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, or noticed, but he's pretty much just recycling things he posts to Facebook...verbatim.
It was a pretty reasonably assumption from early on, but he made it very obvious when he was @-ing people in one of them.
masako

Post by masako »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 amIt was a pretty reasonable assumption from early on, but he made it very obvious when he was @-ing people in one of them.
Kinda sad he only posts here to advertise [see: spam] instead of actually engage and learn. There is a lot to be learned on this site.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

masako wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 pm
KathTheDragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 amIt was a pretty reasonable assumption from early on, but he made it very obvious when he was @-ing people in one of them.
Kinda sad he only posts here to advertise [see: spam] instead of actually engage and learn. There is a lot to be learned on this site.
How is it advertising? I prefer to see it as no different to what anyone else here does, which is sharing our work with the community. Bob has shown in the past that he is capable of productive conversations — I’ve had some with him myself — so I don’t think it’s quite fair to characterise him as being unwilling to engage.

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Edited for reasons.
Last edited by Vardelm on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 pm Edited for reasons.
This is all depressingly true. (Except, partly, for point 2 — he hasn’t provided any glosses, true, but over here he has been fairly good at answering followup questions.) As much as I want to think the best of Bob and don’t want to agree, I am forced to accept that you have a point here.

EDIT: I do feel though that I need to point out that ‘lackluster’ isn’t exactly the right word to use to describe his credentials. He has a BA in linguistics (if I remember correctly), which is certainly more formal education than I have in the area! Not that that seems to have done too much for his posts.
Last edited by bradrn on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Edited for reasons.
Last edited by Vardelm on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Vardelm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:56 pm Edited for reasons.
To be fair, he has at least stopped bragging about his qualifications and started glossing his examples. (Maybe he’ll even start using IPA soon!) But your point still stands — his qualifications are good, but not good enough to be worth bragging about it. (I’m not entirely sure what a GPA is, but I will take your word for it about the relative braggadociality of 3.0 vs 3.5.)
Last edited by bradrn on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

To be honest, the most frustrating thing he's still doing is posting "wow, great job on this one!" It's so fucking patronising, like it was an open challenge he set and now he's checking up on our work.
masako

Post by masako »

Vardelm wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:56 pmHowever, despite a lack of formal education and a paucity of free time, guess what I can do? Use friggin' IPA and gloss my examples.
And - this is important - you don't act as though you've created some grand, wondrous, magical thing simply by rehashing work that's twenty to thirty years old...and then brag about your ""talents"".
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

bradrn wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:16 pm (I’m not entirely sure what a GPA is, but I will take your word for it about the relative braggadociality of 3.0 vs 3.5.)
GPA is "grade point average", which (in the U.S.) ranges from 0.0 to 4.0. If you're familiar with letter grades, then 4.0 would be "A", 3.0 is "B", etc. From what I've seen, some high schools use the numeric scale (maybe it's more these days), while colleges & universities use it exclusively. Universities tend to have something like 93% of points earned in assignments & exams = 4.0, 87% = 3.5, 80% = 3.0, 73 = 2.5, etc. Smaller colleges & high schools may have a more forgiving scale, like 90% = 4.0, 85% = 3.5, etc.

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:55 am To be honest, the most frustrating thing he's still doing is posting "wow, great job on this one!" It's so fucking patronising, like it was an open challenge he set and now he's checking up on our work.
I take this as having received advice that if you post about other peoples' work, they will reciprocate. So, if he praises someone's conlang, surely THEN they will pop into his threads and sing about his genius! It smacks of fishing for compliments rather than true interaction.

masako wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:35 am And - this is important - you don't act as though you've created some grand, wondrous, magical thing simply by rehashing work that's twenty to thirty years old...and then brag about your ""talents"".
Exactly.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Texts A B C from The Epic of Son-Jara in Okrand Atlantean and Ancient Africa Conlang

I made a website for this summer's project with Okrand Atlantean by the maker of Klingon and my Ancient Africa Conlang.

New Texts in Okrand Atlantean with an Ancient African Conlang: Medieval West Africa Texts
https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... w=flipcard

Images for Previous Post
https://naviklingon.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... w=flipcard

I've been adding the texts there. I have finished hand-written draft translations into Okrand Atlantean but not into the Ancient Africa Conlang. I'm on the final text, Text G, for that one.

I don't think I have posted Text A, Text B, or Text C here, so I'll copy them here so that they're easier to quote and study.

Some thoughts before we continue:

It occurs to me that "Ancient Africa Conlang" is very similar to Swahili for grammar. I have made alterations to it such that it is distinct from Swahili and more of a mix of Bantu languages for grammar, plus other things I thought would spice things up. I think it's still very similar to Swahili, though. Most of the words are very similar to Swahili so far as I have access to it. There may be some grammatical references to Non-Bantu Niger-Congo languages.

I didn't take a long time in examining my available resources to make the "Ancient Africa Conlang". Originally I think I was only going to translate Text A but had thought of translating them all. For me, the language is a tool to get me interested in Swahili and Bantu languages and it has succeeded.

I'm trying to study Bantu and Non-Bantu Niger-Congo languages a bit but I don't know if I will work that into these Ancient Africa Conlang texts. I still have a lot to do with the Atlantean for consistency. And I have really put a lot of time already into the Ancient Africa Conlang texts, looking up almost every word in Texts B to F in my Teach Yourself Swahili Dictionary. Every now and then, I tried to spice it up. It's been a good experience because I've been able to explore Swahili and it's a very different language from either English or Latin. I've actually studied hundreds of languages, though, so I have some idea of how different things can be. Swahili at the word level has been refreshing, though.

This Teach Yourself Swahili dictionary is one of the most interesting that I have in any language, especially for a modern language dictionary. ( I own mostly historic or ancient language dictionaries, in non-digital format. )

The word and clause order of the Ancient African Conlang follows the English aside from noun - adjective and verb - adverb. I don't think I'll change that and either refer readers to the grammar or let them imagine what a more realistic word and clause order would be. This is an expedient to making translations faster. As it is now, without glosses, it's also hard enough to follow as it is.

And I have no plans now to gloss every word. I'll upload my notes and interested parties can have simultaneous reference to them. They gloss a lot but not everything. Some things would have to be figured out using the common morphemes.

Again, the point of the Ancient Africa Conlang is that The Epic of Son-Jara that I have is not bilingual and so I wanted to make something which was an approximation for the original. Too late did I learn that West Africa is mostly Non-Bantu Niger Congo languages. But I own these very nice Swahili and Niger-Congo resources, so I have made some good and memorable use of them.

Also, sorry, no further grammar notes. Just me typing it up.

Well, here's a little:

= : Usually separates Noun Class Prefix from the Noun Root.
=Noun.Root Noun.Class.Prefix=Adjective
This is how adjectives agree with their nouns. I think in actual Swahili, both get the Noun Class Prefix and I read the grammar wrong or something.

=Verb.Root Verb.Affixes=Adverb.or.Modal.Verb.Root

I use the 6 or so actual Noun Classes of Swahili. Usually my conlangs have only one noun class and only one verb conjugation and no irregular verbs. So this has been interesting but also more time-consuming than usual.

== : This is used for three prefixes (sometimes suffixes) :
pa== at ( place, definiteness)
ku== to ( indefiniteness, movement )
mu== in

@ : This means there's nothing there. I think it's mostly used when the Noun Class and Number Prefix has been moved but there needs to be a prefix before it. Like mu==@=Noun.Root-suffixes.

Imitation Swahili words, invented by me, feature a doubled initial letter. The very long ones are usually Ghana names of plants from a certain book of West African plants that I have. I wanted to make use of that book and explore it some, and I did.

Here's the basic morphological chains of everything, using examples:

house-my

( ny=umba-ni )

I-Past-give-it-to.him

( ni-li-pa-a-a )

( These can't be used as independent pronouns and only occur as affixes. )
i NI
you U
he she it A
we TU
you guys M
they WA

You will also encounter:

of -AA
and NA
with NAA
without BILA
this HUYU
that -LE
or AU, AMA

thing J=AMBO (used to form independent pronouns)
person M=TU (used to form independent pronouns)
self NAFSI (used to form independent pronouns)

for MUDA.WA
out NJE
by (in Passive sentences) NJE "out"
from -TOKA.KWA, KUTOKA.KWA
on JUU.YA
to KWA
because KWA.SABABU
little -DOGO
big -KUBWA

Passive -liw-, -lew-
Causative -ish-
Negation -hawa-
Imperative n-

Habitual -hu-
Past -li-
Future -ta-
Relative, in Verb -o-
Relative, Pronoun amba-
Conditional -nge-
Inceptive -p-
Subjunctive -e

Infinitive, "to" ku-
-ing (uninflected verb form) cchigi-

un- -to-
Adjective, "doer" -aji

Text A, Page A.
Originally copied by hand Tues 5 5 2020.

Page 76.
Ah! My little brother, God has made you like the beehive. The eye of the enemy is on you. The hand of the enemy cannot touch you. Ah, my little brother, God has given you the bards and the smiths. Son-Jara, the Manden belongs to you!

Notes by me: Son-Jara: Hero of the Epic, Founder of the Old Mali Empire, c 1600s.
Manden: Old Mali Empire.

Okrand Atlantean:
Te! As-top tipim-mil kagin, mah neb mohit dol-shimot eshelen-tem. Okwep washod-ag mohit meg es-etot. Shayod washod-ag mohit tag bog-etot. Te! As-top tipim-mil kagin, mah neb mohib nuh-imot lilum-tem gim nelut. Aktirak-wer-top, Ad-top, Adlantis-tem tenos-letot!

Aktirak-wer :
Hammerhead Shark Man, like the Ancient Egyptian god Ra.
Ad :
"The Heart of Atlantis", sentient sun-like Atlantean being.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Guta!
=Dugu-ni n=dogo, Mungu a-li-ish-fanana.na-u m=zinga.
Jichoma aduima-aa a-mazao-u.
M=kono aduima-aa a-hawa-hodari-u ki-banzi.
Guta, =dugu-ni n=dogo, Mungu a-li-toa-u mi=shairi na mi=hunzi.
Sson-Jara, Mmanden a-pita kwa-u!

Text A, Page B.

He went then and gave the pouch of gold to the Tunkara Patriarch, Prince Tunkara of Mema, saying they should cast the sigi. When Son-Jara returned from the bush ...

Okrand Atlantean:
Ab toy-imot gim
Nartak-wer Metad-tem Nartak-lant-ag deg
Peyes-tem Nartak-wer-ag
gom
sedig-tem hakek-ag nuh-imot.
Yer-en-tem serih-setoh bet reg-e.
Dos Aktirak-wer dulal-tem ga digad-imot

Ancient Africa Conlang:
A-li-enda ndipo na a-li-toa-a vyombo dhahabu-aa
kwa Cchumvi Ttunkara-aa,
Mwana-wa-mfalme Tunkara Mema-aa,
da-sema wa-wi-adhiri vi=kuku.
Son-Jara a-po-achana a-toka.kwa ny=ika

Notes:
"Mèma: The land where Son-Jara lives in exile from the Manden. In several particulars, Mèma resembles Medina, where the prophet Mohammed lived in exile while he prepard to overtake Mecca."
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jgr6/203/unit10 ... cters.html
Tunkara: This kingdom is apparently ruled by the Tunkara family.
cast the sigi: This is a trial by fire to determine if warriors are not related and so able to face eachother upon the battle field. Both grab metal bracelets out of a pot of burning potash and put them on.

Text A, Page C.

Since Son-Jara entered Mema, the eldest Tunkara daughter had loved him. Don't you know that person's name? Her name was Mema Sira.

Okrand Atlantean:
Sagah Aktirak-wer Nartak-lant-tem nageb-imot,
dateya madem-bey Nartak-wer-ag hipes-imot.
Anik-tem lud-ag deb kwam panneb-enen du?
Anik tuhin Nayap Nartak-lant-ag es-imot.

Notes:
Nayap: a long-nosed shark.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Tangu Sson-Jara a-ingia ku==Mema,
binti ote-mzee Tunkara-aa a-li-penda-a.
U-hawa-jua-a jina m=tu-le zzaidi?
Jina-a-ake a-li-wa Mmema Ssira.

Text A, Page D.

Note 2045.
The familiar African (Caribbean, South Asian) game of shifting tokens from one of the twelve or more holes to the next. Many variants of this game exist all over the world, and the game often goes by the generic name derived from Arabic "Mankala".

Okrand Atlantean:
Dashug mak
Men-mil, ( Kakos-mil, Deyabond-in Bom-mil, )
odedlush-tem gom
kiroyd-en-tem din yadil-ag as peleb ga
yed-en-ag meres-e.
Gipit-en tuler-mig dashug-ag neb
nesdum-tem gut
komtib-retoh.
Gim dashug nish-in pidat-etot
anik aropos-mil Makala
deg
Dig-tem Mipot-ag ga teton-imot.
Ancient Africa Conlang:
=Windo ma=cheua mase Nchi-Ssokoma, Nchi-Zzimwi.la.baharini, =Chi-Wwali n=sini, sema ki-hafifu-aa ma=dalili a-toka.kwa ma=shimoma moja wili-aa ama zaidi kwa m=fuata. Ma=mmbo-ingi ma=windo-aa huyu uukungu.mzito ulimwengu, na ma=windo a-ppole =na ji=kkimya a-liw-pengo a-toka.kwa Ki=arabu "Mankala".

Text A, Page E.

Note 16-17, Page 104.
Description of the land mass of the ancient empire of Mali. Sokoto is a city in the modern northern Nigera and was an important settlement in the 19th century Fulani theocratic empire in that region. Fatiyataligara is obscure but one assistant considered it the home of the Soninke in the present-day Mauritania.

Okrand Atlantean:
Kweb genal-ag indanat-ag metot-mil Titet-ag:
Yeren-lant-tem kaweb-mil hekan-mil net
Pelad wil es-etot.
Gim es-imot
ayam nilden-mil
soreg-ag 19 net
Mogat-lant indanat mareyg-mil tet-tem deb net.
Gerab-lant garen-uses es-imot.
Ad atons-os din
Gen-lant peruk-mil net nasap Melish luden-ag es-imot
bet kwesash-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Kkashifa u=sshaha-aa =lki-aa mi=cchaza Mali-aa.
Ssokoto a-wa mji-m=kubwa
mu==@=chi-ki=kkaango n=kaskazini n=mmaisha
na a-li-wa =ffalme u=mmuhtasari
mu==@=lki mi=karne-tisa mi=kuhani
mu==ki=onya.njia-le.
Fatiyataligara a-giza.la.jioni ila
=tu-eepesi m=hakika
a-li-jjidai-a ny=umbani Soninke-aa
mu==@-Chi-Uupenu n=hatari.

Text A Done.

Text B, Page A.

Originally copied by hand Fri 5 8 2020.

Page 69, Line 1803.
They said, If you seek Sumamuru, ask of the hawk! The balaphone of seven keys: After Sumamuru had played that balaphone, the mallets of the ballaphone, he would take, and give them to the hawk.

Okrand Atlantean:
Reg-etoh, Eb Nartak-wer birek-enen, kasun-tem geloh! Shinup kolish-enag 7: Gis Nartak-wer shinup-tem deb ranip-imot, ogdil-entem shinup-ag, las-imot, gim kasun-tem gom sobit peb-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Wa-sema, Kama u-tafuta-a Sumamuru, n-uliza m=wewe!
=Bala ji=kunguo ji=saba-aa:
Nyuma.ya Sumamuru a-li-gguda n=bala-le,
ny=unda bala-aa,
a-li-hu-shika, na a-pa-wa-a kwa m=wewe.

Notes:
Sumamuru: The main enemy of the epic, a Pagan sorcerer king that Son-Jara fights and defeats.
balaphone: A type of musical instrument, called bala in the Mandinka language. -Phone is from English xylophone.

Text B, Page B.

Line 1809.
It would fly up high in a Flame Tree. And there in the depths of Susu Forest sit. Doka the Cat called to the hawk. The balaphone mallets, it delivered to him.

Okrand Atlantean:
Denet-tem yon-ag net kes-in nutag-kimot. Gim yus tibes-tem kayloh-ag Kraken-lant-ag net holis-imot. Ketak Mekas kasun-tem gom ket-imot. Ogdil-entem shinup-ag, tugib bobis-imot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
A-hu-ruka.hewani kwa apotorodom-miki. Na pa==le mu==m=witu-gido susu-aa a-li-hu-chogi-a. Doka Paka a-li-mogo-a m=wewe. Ny=undo bala-aa, a-li-boroka-a-a.

Text B, Page C.

Line 1813.
Dun Fayiri, Nun Fayiri!
Manda Kante and Sama Kante!
Sori Kante, the Tall!
Susu Mountain Sumamuru Kante!
Salute Sumamuru!

Okrand Atlantean:
Din Nar, Dut Nar!
Sey Tak, Kut Tak!
Sha Tak, saynim-mil!
Nartak-lant Maleg Nartak-wer Tak!
Goyus-yoh Nartak-wer!

[ These ancestors of Nartak-wer are given numbers and parts of his name, with reference to the names of the ancestral kings of the Shang Dynasty in the Oracle Bone Script Chinese inscriptions. Nar is "corpse" or "musician" and tak is "fish". Din dut sey kut sha : 1 2 3 4 5. There is also some reference to Hades and the Greek gods being the children of the Titans, though not much because it is not a common mythological concept. This was a very hard passage to translate because I had to find the footnote explaining what the names in it meant. ]

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Dun Fayiri, Nun Fayiri!
Manda Kante na
Sama Kante!
Sori Kante, m=tu-refu!
Susu M=lima Sumamuru Kante!
N-salimu Sumamuru!

Sumamuru: The main enemy of the epic.
Note 1813 ff. The Janjon is a floating praise-poem, sung here for Sumamuru, see the note for lines 1311 ff. This poem is said to be sung to warriors going into battle. Another praise poem called the Duga is said to be sung to warriors coming out of battle. Lines 1813-15 are Kante clan ancestors, while lines 1816 to 28 are praise-names for Sumamuru, emphaisizing his occult power and ruthlessness.

I included this part for the parts before and after it. I don't remember what it's all about. Ancient texts are like this, you need a glossary and several books and you still can't be sure what it all means.

Text B, Page D.

Line 1818.

Sumamuru came amongst us:
His pants of human skin.
Sumamuru came amongst us,
his coat of human skin.
Sumamuru came amongst us,
his helm of human skin.
The first and ancient king,
the king of yesteryear.
So, respite does not end resolve.
Sumamuru, I found you gone.
Oh! Glorious Janjon!

Okrand Atlantean Conlang:

Nartak-wer gwisit mib saldup-imot,
berak tugin ipihok-ag tarob-enag.

burok tugin ipihok-ag tarob-enag.

gamal tugin ipihok-ag tarob-enag.

Makit din-lag gim heg-mil,
makit yanut-losh-ag.

Bat, pigosh-ir noshib-ir-tem kwam bosil-imot.
Nartak-wer-top, mohit komtib-dimik .
Um! Martak-wer mashig-mil!

Ancient Africa Conlang:

Sumamuru a-li-ja katikati.ya-tu,
suruali-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

m=paku-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

u=sukani-a ng=ozi-a.kibindamu-aa.

M=falne-a.kwanza na m=tu-a.kale, m=falne m=bbidu-aa.
Meta, m=figo a-hawa-ssupa-a m=bigabiga.
Ni-li-ona-a m=bbipu-u.
Chiki! Jajon-tukufu!

Sumamuru: Main enemy of the epic, rival Pagan king.
of human skin: I've read a lot and in old times, body parts of captured enemies were made into trophies which were worn or displayed in various ways and with various meanings. Usually it's the part of the body in which they thought the soul resided. Notably, the Mayan Hieroglyph for shield, PAKAL, is thought to have a skinned human face on it. Which reminds one of the image of the Gorgon's face which was depicted on some Ancient Greek shields. Which reminds one of shrunken heads and scalpings.

Text B Done.

Text C, Page E.

Originally copied by hand Fri 5 8 2020.

Note 1780.

Ta-Suma-Gani-Late, 'Caress of Hot Fire', appears to be a praise-name for King Dankaran Tuman's daughter, emphasizing her sexual appeal.

Kraken-gwen, 'Shapash-Atsin-Narnikmil', godas dateya Tenaken Meges Makit-ag sher es-hetot, mehob-tem tuhin ek-in boleh-e.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Ta-Suma-Gani-Late,
'Kukumbatia.kwa.upendo Moto-a.moto-aa',
nounoudoukoye-bboka muda.wa binti Mfalne Dankaran Tuman-aa,
cchigi-ppalapalabu m=gali-a m=yeye-bb.

Note 1781.

Doka the Cat is Son-Jara's royal bard, usurpsed by Dankaran Tuman when he exiled Son-Jara.

Note 1782.

Susu Mountain Sumamuru Kante.

Sorcerer king of the country of Susu, casted blacksmith, scourge of Islam, and archenemy of Son-Jara.

Martag-wer Mekeas es-etot shamad makit-mil Aktirak-wer-ag, Tenaken Meges mob berish-imot dos Aktirak-wer-tem hodlim-imot.

Nartak-lant Maleg Nartak-wer Tak.
Makit Lenad demot-ag Nartak-lant-ag, kwah kenip-imot, pudeb Yadlug-ir-ag, gim washod-mok Aktirak-ag.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Doka Paka a-wa
m=shairi-a.kifalme Sson.Jara-aa,
a-li-lew-jitwali.bila.haki-a
nje Dankara Tuman
a-li-po-hamisha.ugenini-a Sson.jara.

SSusu M=lima Sumamuru Kante.
M=chawi M=falne ji=mbo-aa Ssusu-aa,
li-aburokyiriaba m=hunzi,
m=jeledi Afangmeitsho-aa,
na adui-bbolo Sson.Jara-aa.

Text C, Page G.

Note 1786.

Balaphone.
Musical instrument resembling the xylophone. The keys are made of rosewood, and calabashes of different sizes, tied below the keys, provide resonance.

Shinup.
Narim warkod keleb-etot.
Kolish-en yoshubr-entem ga pah-imot
gim tawit-enesh sheloh-mig deg shab-entem
yos kolish-entem shak lerosh-eshetoh
yos wowom-tetoh.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Bala.
Chombo.cha.kufanyia.kazi cchigi-ppogopogo angkaatwaree.
Ngi=kunguo wa-liw-fanyiza nje kwai.angma.tsho,
na ma=buyu vi-nnula-ssuki-aa
li-funga.kwa.kamba chini.ya ng'=kunguo
oogo m=sshugalawanga faa-ggoza muda.wa kkotamedefetsui.

Text C, Page H.

( Players often attach metal jingler sto their hands which resonate when the keys are struck with mallets. The word balaphone is a combination of the Mandekan word bala and the English suffix -phone.

Nar-en wey sakip-etoh
nisis-entem dilam-mig shayod-entem sobin gom
yos wowom-eshetoh yos
ogdil-enesh kolish-entem hok-eshdetoh.
Palab "shinup"
palab-ag Yerag-lant-ag "shib" gim
palab-ag Tuyeb-lant-ag "nup"
rusik-betot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Mi=chez-aji =wwechiwechi wa-hu-mara.nyingi-wa mi=madini tikitiki-aji kwa wa=kono-wa wa-o-hu-kotamedefetsui wa-po-hu-liw-piga-wa nje ny=undo. Neno "meku-bala" a-wa m=bijabija neno-mande-aa "bala" na m=cchungichungikupa-bbugi "meku-".

Text C, Page I.

Note 1797. Dark forest.

Both words are images of the occult.

Dibi 'darkness' implies the secretive milieu of sorcery while the forest symbolizes the realm of chaos. See note for lines 356 to 359.

The image is of a pagan sorcerer's domain.

N 1797. Lisom plitak-mil.

Palab-en bud-mig maysot-en kohek-ag es-etot.

Plitak-ir goteh-tem ish-mil lenad-ir-ag tenem-etot,
dos lisom hagek-tem shushus-ag welum-etot.
Bideg-entem 365-59 sher pedlim-tem gamos-yoh.

Maysot yeydil-tem lenad-makit-ag dukap-mil kiweb-etot.

Ancient Africa Conlang:

N 1797. =Witu m=dibi.

=Eno n=vyote.viwili wa-wa-wa wa=fano m=jigu-aa.

M=ddibi a-chini-ambia u=siri limwengu u=rafiki-aa,
a-po-ish-dalili m=witu kwa m=ilki machafuko.makubwa-aa.
( N-uona barua.fupi juu.ya wa=stari 356-59. )

M=fano a-ambia-a ma=mlaka m=tombolombo-chawi-falne-aa.

Text C, Page J.

Note 1813 ff.

The Janjon is a floating praise-poem, sung here for Sumamuru. ( See note for lines 1311 ff. ) This poem is said to be sung to warriors going into battle. ( Another praise-poem called the Duga is said to be sung to warriors coming out of battle. )

N 1818 ff.

Riyag hupat idem-mil es-etot, won Nartak-wer-tem sher kan-i. ( Bideg-entem 1311 tin sher pedlim-tem gamos-yoh. ) Dob neb tarik-tem net bin-e deg bidlug-osentem gom gorash-in kanesh-etot. ( Legap shiban hupat-ag tarik-tem ek saldup-e deg bidlug-osentem gom gorash-in kan-eshetot. )

Ancient Africa Conlang:
Janjon a-wa cchigi-elea kkokolengyema, a-li-liw-imba ha==pa muda.wa Ssumamuru. ( N-ona barua.fupi juu.ya wa=stari 1311 ff. ) Ma=shari huyu a-ttugu-li-liw-imba kwa vy=askari cchigi-ingia pigano. ( Kkoloengyema-ingine a-wa.na-a ji=na Duga a-ttugu-imba kwa vy=askari wa-enda-nje pigano. )

Image:
Here's a picture of a balaphone with some related vocabulary in Okrand Atlantean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balafon
Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alice

Post by alice »

Is it just me, or have I already read something very similar in this thread?
I am the ninth letter of the alphabet!