The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Travis B. »

I have lately been getting a lot of issue reports related to zeptoforth, and I feel a bit mixed about it ─ on one hand, some of them are rather obvious things that are a bit embarrassing, e.g. stupid bugs or documentation errors or oversights, but on the other hand, just the fact that I have users out there who care enough to report issues rather than just writing off my software as unusable is encouraging. I even got one person reporting issues with regard to zeptoIP (the IP stack on top of zeptoforth), even if one of the issues was just a minor documentation issue and the other was an unclear usage issue (as it was raising an exception when specifying an SSID but without code I cannot really figure out what their example is, but as they are in Europe it will be until at least tomorrow before they respond). Just the fact that someone is trying out zeptoIP is good!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:18 am
Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:40 pmAcademicians from what I gather are notoriously underpaid and are always having to chase the next grant, part of why I do not regret not going into academia, even though I probably would have had it not been for factors not under my control.
It varies quite a bit from institution to institution. While there are some sinecures left, in general academic positions in the USA are becoming both more precarious (with tenure on the decline almost everywhere) and more poorly compensated. Whether you have to chase grants constantly or not is somewhat dependent on your field and specialty. No one expects a professor teaching six courses of freshman English to apply for grants, but that of course has its own headaches.

My own feelings about going into academia were very mixed, which is why I put off pursuing an advanced degree and ultimately didn't. I enjoy a lot of things about academia, which is why I work where I work, but ultimately I don't think I would have been very successful as a professor.
It seems to have degraded similarly in France. I did not realise this before I began my PhD. This is a shame because I think people should be encouraged to learn and research but the reverse seems to be the case.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:58 pmIt seems to have degraded similarly in France. I did not realise this before I began my PhD. This is a shame because I think people should be encouraged to learn and research but the reverse seems to be the case.
If your research doesn't immediately produce revenue for the institution, then what use is it, really?

I thought I'd stop in at the clinic today after lunch to get some tests done. The receptionist told me that the wait could be "up to an hour" and I should make an appointment. I can't really wait till tomorrow (I've put them off too long already[*]), so I made an appointment for 4 pm. On the way back, I calculated that, given the 15-minute walk each way, I might have been better off timewise just staying. On the other hand, I guess you can look at it as a choice between spending that chunk of a time in a small interior room or strolling in the sunshine, in which case the latter is definitely the better choice.

[*] This sticks in my craw, actually. Since I'm on PrEP, I need to get tested for HIV and kidney function every three months. You think this would be as simple as the doctor setting up an automated reminder and letting me know when the orders are in, but no, I have to remind him every three months myself. He's usually prompt in responding but what a dumb set-up.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’m going through an academic source for the ID for the first time in years. It’s thrilling to be able to work on it again…but some academics are certainly tiresome to read through (to say nothing of the really old sources).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

So I had a rather lengthy conversation with a telemarketer. If he'd been some random telemarketer, I would, of course, have hung up instantly, but he was from my actual phone company, so I was hesitant to do that. After trying to tell him that I wasn't interested a couple of times, I did, eventually, ended the conversation a bit abruptly, and then he tried to call again, but I didn't answer that time.

Anyway, now I'm worried that he might be so angry at me for having rejected him that he makes sure the company hikes my rates or something.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:41 am Anyway, now I'm worried that he might be so angry at me for having rejected him that he makes sure the company hikes my rates or something.
Oh, don't worry; they don't care. Oh, I mean, they will raise their prices anyway but it's nothing personal. It's just that inflation is just an awfully convenient excuse.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:41 am So I had a rather lengthy conversation with a telemarketer. If he'd been some random telemarketer, I would, of course, have hung up instantly, but he was from my actual phone company, so I was hesitant to do that. After trying to tell him that I wasn't interested a couple of times, I did, eventually, ended the conversation a bit abruptly, and then he tried to call again, but I didn't answer that time.

Anyway, now I'm worried that he might be so angry at me for having rejected him that he makes sure the company hikes my rates or something.
How do you know he even was actually from your phone company?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 am
I don't think he would have tried to sell me stuff sold by my phone company if that hadn't been the case.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:25 am
Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 am
I don't think he would have tried to sell me stuff sold by my phone company if that hadn't been the case.
He could very well have been trying to get identification information (e.g. your credit card number) by pretending to be selling you something.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:29 am
He could very well have been trying to get identification information (e.g. your credit card number) by pretending to be selling you something.
That wouldn't have worked, given that I know very well that my phone company already has my bank account information. Besides, most of the standard ways of paying phone bills in Germany don't involve credit cards.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I’ve just realized that Baxter & Seigert use <y> to indicate alveolpalatals and <j> for /j/ proper. On the one hand, I’ve always thought this a reasonable solution because sometimes you have to contrast a palatal(ized) C with C-plus-j. On the other, it took me way too long to figure out what was going on, and it was a system I supported to begin with.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

You know how some people, when they watch movies or TV shows, they have to look away if there's blood on the screen?

I don't have a problem with seeing blood. But I do often have to look away, or hit "pause", when I'm watching a movie or TV show and a character gets into a socially awkward situation.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

With some frequency, yes, though I also look away from blood sometimes.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 am You know how some people, when they watch movies or TV shows, they have to look away if there's blood on the screen?

I don't have a problem with seeing blood. But I do often have to look away, or hit "pause", when I'm watching a movie or TV show and a character gets into a socially awkward situation.

Yeah, me. I'm usually all right with horror movies but I have to watch The Big Bang Theory from behind the couch.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I only ever watched a few episodes of that, and found it unentertaining.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:24 pmI only ever watched a few episodes of that, and found it unentertaining.
I find it a valuable heuristic: if that is your favourite show, it's pretty guaranteed that there's going to be minimal overlap in our taste in popular media.

I have a lot of contradictory feelings these days, a lot of them related to my stepmom, who recently entered home hospice. At first it looked like she didn't have long to live. Now it seems she could hang on for weeks or even months still. Which is great, insofar as it means we all get to spend more time with her. (So far, she's very lucid and enjoys company.) But it's also something of a rug-pull. We were steeling ourselves for an imminent demise that may not be so imminent after all. It makes it difficult to know how to feel or even how to plan my free time. I don't want her gone but I also hate the day-to-day uncertainty of the situation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:24 pm I only ever watched a few episodes of that, and found it unentertaining.
That's how I feel about sitcoms in general. Most TV I actually enjoy is foreign murder mysteries (yes, I do find Midsomer to be a bit campy but I definitelly enjoy it).
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:46 am
Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:56 am You know how some people, when they watch movies or TV shows, they have to look away if there's blood on the screen?

Yeah, me. I'm usually all right with horror movies but I have to watch The Big Bang Theory from behind the couch.
I very rarely watch movies at all, least of all horror movies… but I utterly hate The Big Bang Theory. Mostly for personal reasons, actually: I am similar to the main character in a large number of ways, and it feels like the writers took everything I struggle with and zoomed in on it with a laser focus, while steadfastly ignoring any redeeming features he might have. I find watching the show to be a constant embarrassment. (Admittedly, he improves by the end… I’ve found the later seasons less unwatchable.) When people think about ‘a geeky physicist who went to university early’, I don’t want their stereotype to be Sheldon Cooper.

Anyway, to answer the question… yes, I do feel that way too. Probably because I struggle so much socially myself.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:13 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:24 pm I only ever watched a few episodes of that, and found it unentertaining.
That's how I feel about sitcoms in general.
Oh, I quite like some of the better-written sitcoms. Though some started out well but then suffered from the writers' desire to come up with more-and-more over the top plots, i. e. Community, Parks & Rec, or 30 Rock.
malloc

Post by malloc »

My doctor has recommended that I see a urologist for something that will require more surgery. On one hand, I understand the risks of not getting the surgery and realize that ignoring the problem is not the best idea. On the other hand, it will cost thousands and leave me in agony and unable to work for several weeks. Given my current precarious position at work, I really worry about taking that much time off.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him