Twin Aster

Conworlds and conlangs
JANKO GORENC

Re: Twin Aster

Post by JANKO GORENC »

Thank you for created numbers from your new conlangs!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

JANKO GORENC wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:30 amThank you for created numbers from your new conlangs!
You're welcome!

Caber is not dead, it's just been really quiet. Working on Calligraphic Caber now:

masako

Post by masako »

As I said elsewhere, I am very much interested to see this develop further.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

JANKO GORENC wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:30 amThank you for created numbers from your new conlangs!
You're welcome!

--------------------------------
masako wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:42 pmAs I said elsewhere, I am very much interested to see this develop further.
Thank you!

You may be seeing it sooner than I thought. I've decided, for Realism Points™, to make the Tim Ar script a descendant of Caber. Because it's the Tim Ar and I seem to love punishing myself with these things, I've decided that the Tim Ar will get stuck at the syllabary stage, at least for the Classical state of the language, and have a somewhat defective writing system. Now, even after axing a number of the distinctions, I'm left with 960 phonetic glyphs to not only whip up, but to whip up from the "coined in Common Caber" stage. This would somewhere around double the CC lexicon.

For better or for worse, one of the attributes of the Mute Caber diaspora that the Tim Ar inherited was their writing system. CC's was a bog-standard logography, true, but then there came the idea of adapting it to the Tim Ar tongue. This was eventually accomplished to only partial success, but the end result ended up becoming the standard anyway. Some key differences:

- The CT system is almost entirely phonetic.
- Tone is not marked. For that matter, neither are some of the consonant distinctions.
- CC r was interpreted as CT l, despite CT having r—which latter was assigned symbols corresponding to CC z. This is because the r of CT was a continuant whereas that in CC was a flap; CC z was an alveolar continuant and fit the bill insofar as speakers of CC were concerned, but then they had this leftover alveolar approximant that wasn't doing anything…
- CC c g (which were /k g/) palatalize before front vowels (q.v.). This means that there are no native glyphs in CT for ke and ki, or for the velar nasal plus these same vowels; they are formed by diacriticizing another vowel.
- CC had a set of central vowels that coördinate well with CT's back unrounded vowels (which in some analyses might have been central anyway), but no front rounded vowels. These were formed with another diacritic modifying the front unrounded vowels.
- CT has syllabic resonants; these are represented using the glyphs for -aC syllables.

Speaking of CC, a new word: beśce 'foreign, unusual'. I don't have a glyph for it yet though. Also the stops /c g/ and fricative /x/ now palatalize in front of front vowels and the affricates /ts dz/ are gone.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Some words in CT for elements and related terms.

The "classical" elements:

kólïs copper
éḫn lead
ûn gold
gákłi silver
ĝaĝ iron
ḫömło mercury
ëtsín tin
łóhkór sulfur
kûlid zinc
regád arsenic
hesn antimony
ürḫar bismuth

A bit more recent elements:

móm ĝ kélen hydrogen (lit. 'mother of water')
móm ikłe hága deuterium (lit. 'a mother twice over')
móm ikłe isë tritium (lit. 'a mother thrice over')
móm ĝ ḫuú oxygen (lit. 'mother of breath')

ëslug 'tungsten' (lit. 'hardy', adjective used substantively)
lugna sígna 'uranium' (lit. 'yellow metal'; often understood to be U-238 in opposition to U-235, below)
móm n raáḫ 'U-235' (lit. 'mother of division')
naglugna 'depleted uranium' (lit. 'stonemetal')

kélen hún standard water (lit. 'darkwater')
kélen suú heavy water (lit. 'truewater')

----

Bleffys Udd (Mléhïs Úd in CT) died without issue as he was, much to his dismay, infertile, saying only that his empire would go "to the strongest"—while he did adopt a child (named Zyllu), one whom he personally rescued from a priest-king who was going to sacrifice him, this child preferred creating and building things to administration and was disinclined to take up his father's mantle. For his part, Bleffys Udd respected this, reasoning that someone who really didn't want the hot seat would make a poor leader.

Bleffys Udd had four trusted lieutenants who were widely considered to be the frontrunners for succession. In the minutes after his death, they gathered, waiting to hear news of both the great khan and whom he picked to be his successor. One of these lieutenants brazenly inquired into the succession right after Bleffys' death, to which another—Fäxil Preto—expressed disgust ("His body is still warm and you speak of succession!") and left. Of the three that remained, two got into a fistfight, and one of them threw the other out a window to his death. The two who weren't Fäxil Preto ended up getting into a brief war and essentially destroyed each other, leaving Fäxil to assume the throne uncontested. Thus began the Preto (Mréro, if you keep to speaking CT as an official language) Dynasty, the longest-running unbroken streak of (relatively) peaceful transfers of power in Tim Ar history.

The Pretos ended up petering out and after yet another war-stained interregnum some clans of Tim Ar once again assumed the imperial office, becoming the Restoration Dynasties.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Very interesting as always.

I'm curious as to the etymology of these:
Man in Space wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm kélen hún standard water (lit. 'darkwater')
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

rotting bones wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:40 pm Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Ares Land wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:45 am Very interesting as always.

I'm curious as to the etymology of these:
Man in Space wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm kélen hún standard water (lit. 'darkwater')
Thank you both!

The etymology comes from the hue of the liquid. Heavy water is noticeably clearer than is standard water, which has a slight blue hue. In CT, hún covers all the cool colors (and dark grey/black).
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Musical equivalences across Máranhír tend to be quintave-based—that is, P5 equivalence is preferred over that of the octave (P8). The Tim Ar have an thirty-six-tone chromatic system (though your garden-variety diatonic scale only uses eighteen or so), while the Caber have a five-tone system much akin to Georgian.

The Tim Ar musical scale was originally an 18-tone system—eighteen equal divisions of the perfect fifth—but the second and fourth notes of the Caber scale are exactly in between two notes each in this setup (the first, third, and fifth correspond exactly to the unison, the halfway point, and the perfect fifth). Cultural crosstalk yielded the Tim Ar 36-tone system from the Caber notes being bent to so much. To this day, the accidental notes—all sharps—are called "Caber" notes. So you have madál ĝ Kán 'a Caber (i.e. sharp) madál', for instance.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

All right, let's talk Kgáweq'.

Kgáweq' is a language

/n/ n
/t t’ d k k’ g q q’ ʔ/ t t’ d k k’ g q q’ ’
/ts ts’ tɬ tɬ’ kx kx’ qχ qχ’ h/ ts ts’ tl tl’ kg kg’ qg qg’ h
/s ɬ/ s ł
/w l j ʕ/ w l j r

/a ə e i o u/ a/á ʌ/ʌ́ ə/ə́ e/é i/í o/ó u/ú
/a̰ ə̰ ḛ ḭ o̰ ṵ/ ą/ǎ ʌ̨/ʌ̌ ę/ě į/ǐ ǫ/ǒ ų/ǔ Yes, for some reason I have an easier time creating wedge than capital schwa in LaTeX with this font. I'm debating whether to go for schwa or wedge. I think schwa is the safer bet but wedge actually compiles the diacritics without having to hack it as much. Anyway.

/iə̯ eə̯ aə̯/ iʌ eʌ aʌ vel. sim.

Stress is contrastive; of the vowel sets, the acute marks stress and the caron marks stress plus creaky voice.

It's important to note that Kgáweq’ exhibits vowel harmony; vowels are either in the u-state or the o-state, based on height:

u ~ o, ʌ ~ a(ʌ), i(ʌ) ~ e(ʌ)

The former of the pairs above is the u-state, the latter the o-state. Generally when I cite exemplars I do so in the o-state, though in the morphology they may not be. Western dialects are prestiged and determine harmony by the stressed vowel of the root. Eastern dialects use the last vowel in the word. In writing, posttonic root vowels and qualifier affixes ignore vowel harmony rules; this is a concession to speakers of eastern dialects. It should be noted that written Kgáweq’ is a bit out of date—not to the point of unrecognizability, but enough to occasionally cause problems. The languages have slightly but noticeably developed away from that standard.

So with Kgáweq’, we have a really large verbal template.

NEG - PVB - success - SBJ - VERS - OBJ - TAM - root - QUAL

Slot -7: The negative

If it's present, it's tlo’-, e.g. tlu’ʌ̨dníł 'he isn't slow', tlo’ayǫnats’ǎtl 'I don't have it'.

tlu’ʌ̨dníł
tlo’-
NEG
ąd-
3SG.ANIM
nił
be.slow

'he isn't slow'

tlo’ayǫnats’ǎtl
tlo’-
NEG
a-
1SG
yǫ-
nats’ǎtl
have

'I don't have it'

Slot -6: The preverb

There are way too many of these, and worse, they can stack:

rįʌrníł
reʌ-
circular.motion
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
nił
go.slowly

'it's circling (e.g. of vultures around carrion, of predators around prey)'

ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts
reʌ-
circular.motion
eʌr-
REL
l-
SBJ
k-
CONT.IND
tsʌts
go

'centrifuge' (lit. 'that which impels itself to go in a circular motion continuously'; did I mention Kgáweq’ can noun verbs by relativizing them? also, dig those sandhi rules)

ginʌ̨dyųtlʌ̨kgíts
gen-
up-and-down
ãd-
3SG.ANIM
yǫ-
t-
PRF.IND
łʌ̃kgíts
stir

'he churned it'

qgʌsugʌtl’ʌkukgǔqg
qgas-
here
og-
3PL.ANIM
tl’a-
PRF.INT
kukgǔqg
set.out

'did they advance (towards) here?'

dʌtsʌ̨dʌtsʌ́q
dats-
away
ąd-
3SG.ANIM
PRF.IND
t
sʌq
get.somewhere

'he left'

Of special note are gąr- 'upstream' and łe’- 'downstream' (referring to the River Sobadegh originally).

Slot -5: The success affix

Basically, this tells you the degree to and manner in which something was completed or attempted.

gerwęk’wáʌn
g-
accidental.success
er-
2SG
wę-
3SG.ANIM
k’-
MO.IND
waʌn
strike.with.closed.fist

'you accidentally hit him', 'you got a lucky shot on him'

sʌtlʌ́qg’its
s-
catastrophic.failure
a-
1SG
t-
PRF.IND
łʌ́qg’its
speak

'I tried to speak (and made things much worse)'

dʌts’ʌ̨dúqsuq
dats-
away
’s-
catastrophic.failure
ąd-
3SG.ANIM
úqsuq
swim

'he tried to swim away (but ended up getting caught in the rip tide)'

qgąstlądaqeqtló’
qgąs-
here
tl-
CON
ąd-
3SG.ANIM
qeqtló’
run

'he tried to run here'

Most of these can't coöccur with the negative morpheme, except for g-, because g- is often used humorously/frustratedly/ironically/pejoratively.

Slot -4: The subject

Boring.

Slot -3: Version

I wrote this stuff like six, eight years ago, it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around now…basically, it often introduces some sort of valency shift/benefactive or autobenefactive function.

’eryǫtlówas sʌ̨gút
er-
1SG
yǫ-
t-
PRF.IND
tlówas
boil

'you boiled some porridge'

’erlyǫtlówas sʌ̨gút
er-
1SG
l-
SBJ
yõ-
t-
PRF.IND
tlówas
boil

'you boiled yourself some porridge', 'you boiled your porridge'

Slot -2: The object

Again, boring.

Slot -1: TAM

There are sixteen of these suckers, with two categories: Aspect (momentane, imperfective, continuative, perfective) and mood (indicative, subjunctive, interrogative, imperative). There's a perfective imperative, but it has the implication of "Stop that!" or "Hurry up!"

’ʌlwįkg’ų’ʌ́s
a-
1SG
l-
SUBJ
wę-
k’-
MO.IND
łų’ʌ́s
have.deathwish

'I was briefly enraged such that I wished death on him'

’ądąqeqtló’
ąd-
3PL.ANIM
ą-
IMPF.INT
qeqtló’
run

'were they running?'

daʌtsogyǫgotólęs
daʌts-
away
og-
3PL.ANIM
yǫ-
3.INAN
go-
CONT.SBJV
tólęs
dig

'they would have still been mining it, had they still been mining it'

’ǫreqrwętl’ałǎ’ǫtl’
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
eqr-
2.OBJ
wę-
3.ANIM
tl’a
PERF.INT
łǎ’ǫtl’
amuse

'did it amuse you?'

Slot 0: The root

Exactly what it says. Stress is contrastive.

Slot +1: The qualifier

These augment the subject and/or object in some way. They ignore vowel harmony rules for writing purposes.

gąrayǫk’tl’á’asiw
gąr-
away
a-
1SG
yǫ-
k’-
MO.IND
tl’á’as
push
-iw
DIM.OBJ

'I threw it (the small one) away from me'
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I like this language! Thoughts:
Man in Space wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:50 pm /a ə e i o u/ a/á ʌ/ʌ́ ə/ə́ e/é i/í o/ó u/ú
/a̰ ə̰ ḛ ḭ o̰ ṵ/ ą/ǎ ʌ̨/ʌ̌ ę/ě į/ǐ ǫ/ǒ ų/ǔ Yes, for some reason I have an easier time creating wedge than capital schwa in LaTeX with this font. I'm debating whether to go for schwa or wedge. I think schwa is the safer bet but wedge actually compiles the diacritics without having to hack it as much. Anyway.
If you use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, getting capital schwa and diacritics should be trivial.
Man in Space wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:50 pm ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts
reʌ-
circular.motion
eʌr-
REL
l-
SBJ
k-
CONT.IND
tsʌts
go

'centrifuge' (lit. 'that which impels itself to go in a circular motion continuously'; did I mention Kgáweq’ can noun verbs by relativizing them? also, dig those sandhi rules)
I’m not sure this counts as ‘sandhi’ per se… but it certainly is interesting morphophonology; do you have any more details?
Slot -4: The subject

Boring.

Slot -2: The object

Again, boring.
…but it would still be nice to see the paradigms!
Slot -3: Version

I wrote this stuff like six, eight years ago, it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around now…basically, it often introduces some sort of valency shift/benefactive or autobenefactive function.
This seems suspiciously close to a standard middle voice category.
Slot -1: TAM

There are sixteen of these suckers, with two categories: Aspect (momentane, imperfective, continuative, perfective) and mood (indicative, subjunctive, interrogative, imperative).
What are the semantic differences between the various aspects? I’m particularly confused about ‘continuative’ vs ‘imperfective’.

These augment the subject and/or object in some way.
This is a bit vague; could you supply more details please?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amI like this language!
Yay!
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amIf you use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, getting capital schwa and diacritics should be trivial.
The issue is I'm calling another font family with fontspec and the special character/diacritic support on it is piss-poor.
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 am
Man in Space wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:50 pmryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts
reʌ-
circular.motion
eʌr-
REL
l-
SBJ
k-
CONT.IND
tsʌts
go

I’m not sure this counts as ‘sandhi’ per se… but it certainly is interesting morphophonology; do you have any more details?
Basically it's that you can't have two vowels in hiatus so the first diphthong gets converted to /j/.
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 am…but it would still be nice to see the paradigms!
I plead "it was way past my bedtime when writing that".
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amThis seems suspiciously close to a standard middle voice category.
There's more to it than that; basically it introduces another argument (not necessarily identical to the subject) that gets affected by the action in some way.
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amWhat are the semantic differences between the various aspects? I’m particularly confused about ‘continuative’ vs ‘imperfective’.
Essentially, momentane is instantaneous/brief, imperfective is default/ongoing, continuative is done for a long time (so "continuative/iterative/protractive" might be a better descriptor, though much less concise), perfective is the action finished.
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 am

These augment the subject and/or object in some way.
This is a bit vague; could you supply more details please?
Sure, I can try (I'm on my lunch break so this will be brief for the time being)—essentially, you can augment or diminish the subject and/or object with the qualifier affix. This is especially useful for relativized verbs as you can make a judgment as to the nature of the resultant noun; e.g.:

gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsloq
go-
between
se-
near.success
eʌr-
REL
k’-
MO.IND
tsʌts
go
-loq
AUG.SBJ

'near miss'

gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsįq
go-
between
se-
near.success
eʌr-
REL
k’-
MO.IND
tsʌts
go
-įq
DIM.SBJ

'inconvenience, annoyance, impediment'
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:56 am
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amIf you use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX, getting capital schwa and diacritics should be trivial.
The issue is I'm calling another font family with fontspec and the special character/diacritic support on it is piss-poor.
Ah, I see. Could you perhaps move to another font? Alternately, when I’ve run into similar problems, I’ve found it easy to define an alternate font for areas of text requiring extended character support, e.g.: (https://github.com/bradrn/Conkey/blob/8 ... tex#L3-L11)

Code: Select all

\usepackage{fontspec}
% Default font
\setmainfont{Gentium Plus}
% Fallback font for characters unavailable in Gentium
\newfontfamily{\fallbackfont}{Times New Roman}
\DeclareTextFontCommand{\tfb}{\fallbackfont}
% Fallback font for symbols
\newfontfamily{\fallbackfontsymbol}{Segoe UI Symbol}
\DeclareTextFontCommand{\tfbs}{\fallbackfontsymbol}
bradrn wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 amThis seems suspiciously close to a standard middle voice category.
There's more to it than that; basically it introduces another argument (not necessarily identical to the subject) that gets affected by the action in some way.
So basically an applicative, then? (Though I’d need more detail to be able to say exactly what kind of applicative.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Might be an applicative. I was staving Georgian.

kęʌdowaganét ratlé’
kę-
up
ʌ̨d-
3SG.ANIM
duwʌg-
hill
ʌ-
IMPF.INT
net
run

kęʌdnowaganét ratlé’
kę-
up
ʌ̨d-
3SG.ANIM
n-
OBL
duwʌg-
hill
ʌ-
IMPF.INT
net
run

Anyway, time to try to reconstruct what I can of the nominals. Actually, we can reconstruct quite a bit of them as I just found an old archive.

’ʌn 1SG

The nominal had the following template:

POSS - LOC - case - NUM - root

Possessive prefixes:
ye- 1SG
q’- 2SG
d- 3SG
h- 1PL
ts’- 2PL
yos- 3PL

Body parts, kinship terms, and the noun séq’naq 'house' are inalienably possessed:

O, yetqats!
o
EXCL
ye-
1SG
tqats
leg

'Oh, my leg!'

’akg’ót
’a-
1SG
kg’ot
brother

'my brother'

ts’éq’naq
ts’-
2PL
séq’naq
house

'your guys' house'

To talk about them in general, use the 3PL forms:

yoséq’naq
yos-
3PL
séq’naq
house

'houses'

Locative prefiixes:
lo- ELATIVE
qge- INESSIVE
s- ILLATIVE
q- PERLATIVE
ęs- DELATIVE
na- SUPERESSIVE
t’- SUBLATIVE
’o- VIALIS
k’i- ABLATIVE
tlik- PROSECUTIVE
ł- ADESSIVE

Grammatical prefixes:
tles- DAT
r- INST
qʼ- POSSESSOR
tʼaq- DISTRIBUTIVE
ʼ- DISTRIBUTIVE-TEMPORAL
kgeqʼ- PARTITIVE
sig- OBLIQUE

kg’ot 'brother'
tle’ 'thing'
duwʌg 'hill'

Conjunctions

The conjunctions in Kgáweq’ are actually verbs:

nęʌts 'and'
łoq(e) 'inclusive or'
qgiʼ 'exclusive or', (when negated) 'nor'
sątʼ(o) 'except', 'but', 'without'

So you get things like:

sął ’ǫryǫněʌts ʼiqʼ
sął
air
ʼǫr-
3S.INAN
yǫ-
3S.INAN
nęʌts
and
ʼiqʼ
water

'air and water'

sął ’ǫryǫněʌts ’iq’ ’iʌtsiʌrʌgwǔni’
sął
air
ʼǫr-
3S.INAN
yǫ-
3S.INAN
nęʌts
and
ʼiqʼ
water
’iʌts-
outside
iʌr-
REL
ʌg-
2PL
wǔni’
assemble

'air and water surround us'

Numbers

Janko is going to want numbers. Here they are (counts in base-six):

1 – dęʼ
2 – ʼuʼ
3 – łúnʌł
4 – qʼatl
5 – tlʼíqgʼudįʼ
6 – tlʼiqʼ
7 – dętlʼíqʼ
8 – ʼutlʼíqʼ
9 – łunʌłtlʼíqʼ
10 – qʼʌtlutlʼíqʼ
11 – tlʼíqʼʌʼułudįʼ
12 – tl'iqʼʌʼuʼ
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Kgáweq’ color terms:

rósto’ 'white'
’ǫdáq 'red'
qǫr 'yellow'
tlal 'green'
kgįsʌt 'blue, black'

These are actually verbs.

’ądneyrtle’ǫdáq
’ąd-
3SG.ANIM
néyrtle-
precious.stone
’ǫdáq
red

'he has a ruby'

To say that an object itself is a certain color, one can either use the inversion marker or use the appropriate prefix with the subjective-version marker; which method is used varies depending on the speaker and dialect:

’ądąłkgiłiqǒr
’ąd-
3SG.ANIM
ął-
INV
kgiłiq-
animal
qǫr
yellow

'the animal is yellow'

’ądlakgiłiqǒr
’ąd-
3SG.ANIM
l-
SBJ
kgiłiq-
animal
qǫr
yellow

'the animal is yellow'

One can also use similar verbs without an incorporated object to say that some object obvious from context is a certain color:

’ǫrąłtlál
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
ął-
INV
tlal
green

'it is green'

’ǫrlatlál
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

'it is green'

Using the success affix with this verb instead denotes how much of that color an object is. Color verbs can only be used with the success affixes shown below. Either of the above-mentioned methods (inversion or subjective version) can be used with the success affix, though for my ease of writing this post only the subjective version will be used in the examples:

wo’ǫrlatlál
wo’-
success
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

'all of it is green'

tǫrlatlál
t-
partial.success
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

'some of it is green'

k’ǫrlatlál
k’-
barely
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

'only a little of it is green'

’ąwrlatlal
ą-
failure
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

failure-3SG.INAN.SBJ-SBJ.VER-green
"it isn't green"

sǫrlatlál
s-
catastrophic.failure
ǫr-
3SG.INAN
l-
SBJ
tlal
green

'it isn't green at all'
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Nádał saʼyǫnats’ǎtluq niʌrwǐtǝq sʌʼnwįkʼtʼʌ́ruʼ ʼądón.
n-
PL
ádał
cloud
saʼ-
3PL.INAN
yǫ-
3.INAN
natsʼǎtl
have
-luq
AUG.S
n-
PL
eʌr-
REL
wǐtʌq
be.numerous
saʼ-
3P.INAN
n-
OBL
wę-
3P.ANIM
k-
3P.ANIM
tʼə́ruʼ
nurture
ʼą-
PL
don
person

ʼĄdón tlo’ogyǫnats’ǎtl daʌtsogeqseʌtóʼ tlesnádał.
ʼą-
PL
don
person
tlo’-
NEG
og-
3P.ANIM
yǫ-
3.INAN
nats’ǎtl
have
daʌts-
away
og-
3p.ANIM
eqs-
OBJ.3.INAN
eʌ-
REL
tóʼ
give
tles-
DAT
n-
PL
ádał
cloud

Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’. Seq’ǒ’.
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
se-
IMP.CONT
q’ǫ’
kill
keenir

Post by keenir »

Are any of the scripts related to Caber in Omniglot?

(sadly, i could only recall Caber, so thats all i could search for - and failed to find it)

thank you

EDIT: the reason i asked was so i could put the following title in logograms, as well as render the name as best i could; in the meantime, here is the title. I was more concerned about getting the translations as correct as i could, rather than word order, so the placement of the words is exactly as in the title:

The Daughters of Joshua Cabe
Ba ćơrče-soćur-r Fe (J.) Cabe
{the gave.birth-woman-PL}

Ba soćur-kïrï-r Fe (J.) Cabe
{the women-child-PL}

Ba ćơrče-soćur-oc Fe (J.) Cabe
Ba soćur-kïrï-oc Fe J.) Cabe (person)

On one hand, you initially say that the plural is -r...and then you add "The plural for nouns and adjectives is generally -(o)c (the -o- is deleted if the singular form ends in -o),"...so i wasn't sure, and tried them both.
{this is very fun}
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

keenir wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pmAre any of the scripts related to Caber in Omniglot?
No, they are not. I didn't know I could put them up there. I will have to look into how to do this.
keenir wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pmthe reason i asked was so i could put the following title in logograms, as well as render the name as best i could; in the meantime, here is the title.
<3 I love fanfiction. (Or whatever you would call this…fan-translation?)
keenir wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pmThe Daughters of Joshua Cabe
Ba ćơrče-soćur-r Fe (J.) Cabe
{the gave.birth-woman-PL}

Ba soćur-kïrï-r Fe (J.) Cabe
{the women-child-PL}

Ba ćơrče-soćur-oc Fe (J.) Cabe
Ba soćur-kïrï-oc Fe J.) Cabe (person)
I will look into this a little later, as I am currently with my vocalist mixing the album.
keenir wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pmOn one hand, you initially say that the plural is -r...and then you add "The plural for nouns and adjectives is generally -(o)c (the -o- is deleted if the singular form ends in -o),"...so i wasn't sure, and tried them both.
Sorry for the confusion! -r specifically was a collectivizing affix. It fell into disuse in many of the descendant languages but was fossilized in what the Caber called themselves.
keenir wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm{this is very fun}
You honor me by doing this. Thank you!
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Spitballing some stuff here…pardon the ad hoc notation.

Q K → K TS / _ {E, #} (E includes /a/ for our purposes)
Diphthongs with /ə/ → ja
ə o u → a e i
ɬ tɬ l → ʃ tʃ r
V{’,g}V → VV
t → s / _ S
q(’)C → Cː
Vr → Vː
C’ → Cˤ (k’ → q)

’ǫreqrwętl’ałǎ’ǫtl’ → erekwętš’ašǎ’ętš
ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts → yaarastsát
gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsloq → gisyaaqatsátsrok
rósto’ → réste
kęʌdowaganét → tsyadowaanét

n t t’ d ts ts’ tɬ tɬ s ɬ l → ɲ tʃ tʃ’ dʒ tʃ tʃ’ tʃ tʃ’ ʎ / _ {j,a,aə,e,eə,i,iə}
{k,g} → w / _ {u,o}
aə eə iə → a ə ɨ
ar er ir → a a e
g → r
w → Ø / C _
{r,Q}y Cy → h š
final glottal stops drop
’E > y
pretonic vowels drop if it doesn't create an unwieldy cluster

’ǫreqrwętl’ałǎ’ǫtl’ → ’ęgehwętš’ǎytl’
ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts → gyelktséts
gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsloq → wišak’ts’étsleq
rósto’ → rósto
kęʌdowaganét → kędewagnét

stressed {a,ʌ} e o → ɨ i u
V? > Ø / _ # unless stressed
stress regularized to the final syllable
k k’ g → ch ch’ j / [+hi]
Vʌ aʌ → VV
ʌ o ɨ u → a e i ɨ
sy > sh
wa we wi wâ > o o yo u
eo > oo

rósto’ 'red' > yóst [just]
kgįsʌt 'blue, black' > chįst [tʃḭst]

’ǫreqrwętl’ałǎ’ǫtl’ → ’ęreqrǫtl’ałâ’
ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts → ryiirlaktsâts
gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsloq → jâsheerk’atsâtsleq
rósto’ → râst
kęʌdowaganét → kęędooganit

a o u → ʌ a o
aʌ eʌ iʌ → ʌ ʌ yʌ
Vr → VV
ł tl → s ts
ts kg qg → s x X / coda
awʌ → oo
{t,d} → ? / _ %
deletion of posttonic syllables, consonant clusters simplify accordingly
r → y
yy → ts

machine + heal = "fix"

’ǫreqrwętl’ałǎ’ǫtl’ → ’ąąqrawęts’ʌsʌ̨’s
ryiʌrlʌktsʌ́ts → tsiilʌktsʌs
gusyeʌrk’ʌtsʌ́tsloq → gosyʌʌk’ʌtsʌlq
rósto’ → rast’
kęʌdowaganét → kʌ̨ʌ̨doogʌné’
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

And now, a Tim Ar idiom.

tëg mûr
tëg
kick
mûr
tree

'to kick a tree'

tëg umír
tëg
kick
/mûr
tree/PL

'to kick trees'

Means you get nowhere, waste time and effort, do useless or fruitless tasks, (later, by extension) to be derelict in one's duties due to being distracted elsewhere. ("Here he comes with his hard disk recovery rig and all the while we're over here kicking trees!") Tëg mûr has the lesser gravitas of the two expressions; when things are really bad, you use the plural.

Incidentally, a prefixed backslash to a noun form in a gloss indicates the metathesis that plural nouns frequently undergo.

So, Kgáweq’ permits incorporation of objects—generally for "simplex" objects, i.e. those not derived from a relativizing affix.

’aseqsągostatlówas
a-
1SG
seq-
3SG.INAN.OBL
sʌ̨gút
porridge
t-
PERF.IND
tlówas
boil

'I boiled his porridge'

Some of these formations have become idiomatic:

wo’aseqengentatqóh
wo’-
success
a-
1SG
seq-
3INAN.OBL
engen-
machine
t-
PERF.IND
atqóh
heal

'there, I fixed it' (note the use of the oblique version marker for the patient; more literally, this might be translated as 'I machine-healed it')

Let's do some work on Çuvvaccoçim, shall we?

As I've written before, adjectives are a closed class, as below—

Sex:
hëgu 'male'
wexyu 'female'

Age/condition:
’eǧeh 'old'
leuh 'new'

Appearance:
’o 'beautiful'
yol 'ugly'

Character:
hae’ 'good'
we 'bad, evil'

Size:
'small'
glêçç 'large'

Logic:
guje 'true, correct, right, just'
ëheua 'false, bad, incorrect, wrong, cruel, unjust'

Familiarity:
ǧa’’ 'familiar'
euǧ 'odd, unfamiliar, strange'

Strength/greatness:
çangeh 'great, magnificent'
vaeng 'weak, pathetic'

Colors:
aeññïng 'white'
uva 'red, yellow'
xing 'green, blue'
heuh 'black'

Numbers:
mïng 'one'
ëllao 'two'
aeuǧ 'three'
ǧëǵ 'four'
e’ 'five'
xoiam 'six'

Qualifiers/determiners:
uçung 'none, no'
hëkk 'some specific, certain'
’ao 'some'
eueh 'each'
he 'all'

And the rest:
waexxa 'other, remnants'

Xaeh ñubbehim ngaeb nge hoia uva uvëh be mihaeuh eh miǧaeǧǧe ñuheuh ev.
Xi’e ëh mïyëga ëh nguçun ngaohe’ ngaeb meug e hëvëh ciheua ñubbehim hëvëh.
Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ. Ceǧaǧ.