What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
StrangerCoug

Re: What do you call ...

Post by StrangerCoug »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:46 pm Do you have some example images?
I circled some examples of what I'm asking about:
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I don't really have a name for those, other than, maybe, "roof over the porch".
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

StrangerCoug wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:02 pm What do you call the roof over a porch or a verandah?
From what I remember of my time in construction, "roof". Maybe architects and art history people have other names for them, but I can't recall ever hearing such a thing.
jal

Post by jal »

If your goal was to ask us what we call these, don't read any further. If your goal is to know what these are called, there's something called Google. You should try it once :).

A quick usage of said search engine turns up the name gable roof for the roof in the third picture, the triangular one. If they are smaller, just over the front door for example, they're called (porch) canopies. Otherwise, just porch roof is common. The shed style porch roof is one where there's a slanting roof that is attached to the house, but is a seperate structure from the roof of the house. I've also encounted porch overhang and roof extension, and, specifically for the first two images, porch eaves.

JAL
xxx

Post by xxx »

there is also awning
(and I love the french marquise...)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

xxx wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:29 am there is also awning
(and I love the french marquise...)
Why didn't I think of marquise? OK, the roofs StrangerCoug posted don't really look like my idea of a marquise to me.
jal

Post by jal »

Awning has been named previously I think, but is limited to canvas? Marquise doesn't get much hits, so no idea whether that's also roofy.

JAL
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

A marquise is always made of canvas (or similar material). The roofs discussed here definitely aren't marquises, unless the word has a different meaning in English than in German.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
StrangerCoug

Post by StrangerCoug »

jal wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:28 am If your goal was to ask us what we call these, don't read any further. If your goal is to know what these are called, there's something called Google. You should try it once :).
This is a little condescending. I tried Google to see if there was a technical word for it that wasn't coming to me (as there seems to be for many things architecture, at least to me) and was finding none. See the second sentence of fusijui's post for what I'm getting at.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, though, this comes up when I search for "veranda eaves" on Google, and it does use some of your terminology.
jal

Post by jal »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:56 pmA marquise is always made of canvas (or similar material). The roofs discussed here definitely aren't marquises, unless the word has a different meaning in English than in German.
Which could very well be the case. The Dutch meaning of "marquise" (written "markies", plural "markiezen") is this:

That is, it's a specific kind of "zonwering" or "zonnescherm" with multiple segments that folds out from a central pivot.

Aparently in French, it can also be a glass roof.

JAL
xxx

Post by xxx »

marquises can even be made of concrete, as long as they protrude from the building
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

So the meaning is different in French and in German - in German, a Markise is always made of canvas.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

'Shed' and 'gable' (roof) describes the structure of the roof (where the slopes go and connect to each other) -- it has nothing to do with whether it's over a porch or veranda.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:54 pm So the meaning is different in French and in German - in German, a Markise is always made of canvas.
And prototypically, so are "awnings" in English. A search for "concrete awning" does get about 20,000 Ghits, but if someone said "We decided to add an awning to the back of the house" I wouldn't ever imagine they meant one of concrete. "Wooden awning" gets more but sounds even more incongruous to my ears.

"Canopy" also implies cloth to me, though e.g. "stone canopy" sounds less odd to me than "stone awning". I think the main difference is that canopies can also be free-standing whereas awnings never are.