What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
foxcatdog

Re: What do you call ...

Post by foxcatdog »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:35 am Do you mean marijuana?
Most likely or i think its possibly an alternate spelling of it.
jal

Post by jal »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:12 am My family calls my maternal grandma and grandpa, nan and pop respectively. Anyone else have something similar?
I don't know any native speakers of standard Dutch that use different words, is just "oma" and "opa", often combined with either a surname or some other descriptive word to distinguish the two sets of grandparents. Otoh, there is a lot of variation for great-grandparents, likely because it's pretty recent in history that kids even have them.

JAL
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:39 am
KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:35 am Do you mean marijuana?
Most likely or i think its possibly an alternate spelling of it.
I did find an obsolete spelling "mariguana" but I'd never seen it before I double-checked the spelling of marijuana.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

KathTheDragon wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:30 am "mariguana"
It evolves from Bongecko starting at level 24 and into Marleyzard when exposed to a Leaf Stone.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:32 am Kush is what came to mind when i was thinking of an alternate name for mariugana. What do you call it?
Before I moved to Germany, I always called it pot, but people in Germany find that weird, so I started calling it weed and now I'm back in Australia and still saying weed and it kind of annoys me because my subjective feeling here is that weed is trying to sound too cool, whereas pot is just the normal word ... although the linguistic situation probably shifted a lot while I was away.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

My grandparents chose what they wanted to be called, and as far as I know that's normal for the UK. So I have a maternal Nana and Grandpa, and a paternal Gran and Grandad. Incidentally, my Gran is my dad's stepmum, and we refer to his mother (who passed away before I was born) as Grandma.

Where I grew up, some kids call their grandmother 'Nonna' [ˈnɔnɑː]
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Imralu wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 pm
foxcatdog wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:32 am Kush is what came to mind when i was thinking of an alternate name for mariugana. What do you call it?
Before I moved to Germany, I always called it pot, but people in Germany find that weird, so I started calling it weed and now I'm back in Australia and still saying weed and it kind of annoys me because my subjective feeling here is that weed is trying to sound too cool, whereas pot is just the normal word ... although the linguistic situation probably shifted a lot while I was away.
Weed is actually the first thing that comes to mind i meant to ask for names other then weed but my brain didn't add the extra information because i was kinda high.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:24 am My niece's family makes use of the fact that she is married to a native speaker of Tamil, and thus the (German) maternal grandparents are Oma and Opa, and the (Tamil) paternal grandparents are Tata and Nana (if I remember those words correctly).
Similar with my daughter - her German grandma was Oma, her Kazakh Grandma was Apashka, which is actually a Kazakh word for "mama", plus a Russian diminutive suffix; the entire famile called her that. (The regular Kazakh word for grandmother is äzhe.) She also called her great-grandmother Oma (not Uroma), and when she needed to differentiate talking about them when she was little, she called great-grandma Oma Hund "grandma dog" (because she had a dachshound) and her grandma Oma Katze "grandma cat", because she had a cat back then.
For me, my grandparents were Oma and Opa on both sides; if I needed to differentiate, I just added their first names.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 am
WeepingElf wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:24 am My niece's family makes use of the fact that she is married to a native speaker of Tamil, and thus the (German) maternal grandparents are Oma and Opa, and the (Tamil) paternal grandparents are Tata and Nana (if I remember those words correctly).
Similar with my daughter - her German grandma was Oma, her Kazakh Grandma was Apashka, which is actually a Kazakh word for "mama", plus a Russian diminutive suffix; the entire famile called her that. (The regular Kazakh word for grandmother is äzhe.) She also called her great-grandmother Oma (not Uroma), and when she needed to differentiate talking about them when she was little, she called great-grandma Oma Hund "grandma dog" (because she had a dachshound) and her grandma Oma Katze "grandma cat", because she had a cat back then.
For me, my grandparents were Oma and Opa on both sides; if I needed to differentiate, I just added their first names.
My niece used to just add the first names to Oma and Opa to disambiguate; so the paternal grandparents (my parents) were Oma Anne and Opa Bernhard, and the maternal grandparents were Oma Gitta and Opa Werner.

In the choir I am a member of, there is an elderly man who plays the drums, and is called Opa Trommel 'Grandpa Drum' by his grandchildren.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 amShe also called her great-grandmother Oma (not Uroma), and when she needed to differentiate talking about them when she was little, she called great-grandma Oma Hund "grandma dog" (because she had a dachshound) and her grandma Oma Katze "grandma cat", because she had a cat back then.
My sister's kids used to call their paternal grandmother "Puppy Grandma" and their maternal grandma "Basket Grandma" because of gifts they brought them when they were little. For my father, they invented the nickname "Ganu", which supposedly arose from the eldest's mispronunciation of "Grampa". His wife's grandkids called him "Papa" so he was also known as "Papa Ganu", as if Ganu were a proper name.

In the USA there are enough families with mixed immigrant backgrounds that situations like the one Hans-Werner describes are rather commonplace. For instance, one of my friends called her French-Canadian grandparents "Mémé and Pépé" and her Italian granparents "Nonno and Nonna". Oddly, one of my aunts, despite speaking more French than German, decided she didn't like the sound of "Grandma" and so asked her grandchildren to call her "Oma".
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:47 am In the USA there are enough families with mixed immigrant backgrounds that situations like the one Hans-Werner describes are rather commonplace. For instance, one of my friends called her French-Canadian grandparents "Mémé and Pépé" and her Italian granparents "Nonno and Nonna". Oddly, one of my aunts, despite speaking more French than German, decided she didn't like the sound of "Grandma" and so asked her grandchildren to call her "Oma".
My dad specifically calls a specific great-grandparent of his "Oma" even though he himself otherwise does not speak German. (It should be noted that said great-grandparent was actually a first-generation immigrant from Germany.)
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
jal

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 amFor me, my grandparents were Oma and Opa on both sides; if I needed to differentiate, I just added their first names.
That's interesting, my gransparents (from both sides) would've very much disapproved the use of their first names, it was not done (I also sietzte them, as was common in those days), so we distinguished them by their surnames. My kids however do refer to my parents and my inlaws using their first names, and dutzen them. When speaking directly to them they only use "oma" and "opa" though.

JAL
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:12 am
hwhatting wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 amFor me, my grandparents were Oma and Opa on both sides; if I needed to differentiate, I just added their first names.
That's interesting, my gransparents (from both sides) would've very much disapproved the use of their first names, it was not done (I also sietzte them, as was common in those days), so we distinguished them by their surnames. My kids however do refer to my parents and my inlaws using their first names, and dutzen them. When speaking directly to them they only use "oma" and "opa" though.
That is the complete opposite to how things are here, that one does not refer to one's parents or grandparents by their given names or their last names - one always refers to them as "mom" or "dad" or "mama" or "papa", for one's parents, and "grandma", "grandpa", "nana", "papa", and so on, for one's grandparents, unless one has to disambiguate which grandparent one is speaking of, where at least in my dad's generation they would sometimes put the grandparent's last name after "grandma" or "grandpa" (I know that my dad refers to one of his grandmothers as "nana" and the other as "grandma Bucher"). Furthermore, when speaking to people in one's family one refers to parents and grandparents relative to their position in the family; e.g. I call my mother "(your) grandma" when speaking to my daughter. As for aunts, uncles, great-aunts, and great-uncles, they are similar except that "aunt", "uncle", "great-aunt", or "great-uncle", from the point of view of who one is speaking to is very often not used by itself but precedes said individual's first name.
RichardFromMarple

Post by RichardFromMarple »

My family called my maternal Grandfather Grandpa & the Paternal one Grandad. My maternal Grandmother somehow ended up as Nanny, with her mother known as Great Nanny.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:03 pmThat is the complete opposite to how things are here, that one does not refer to one's parents or grandparents by their given names or their last names - one always refers to them as "mom" or "dad" or "mama" or "papa", for one's parents, and "grandma", "grandpa", "nana", "papa", and so on, for one's grandparents, unless one has to disambiguate which grandparent one is speaking of, where at least in my dad's generation they would sometimes put the grandparent's last name after "grandma" or "grandpa" (I know that my dad refers to one of his grandmothers as "nana" and the other as "grandma Bucher"). Furthermore, when speaking to people in one's family one refers to parents and grandparents relative to their position in the family; e.g. I call my mother "(your) grandma" when speaking to my daughter. As for aunts, uncles, great-aunts, and great-uncles, they are similar except that "aunt", "uncle", "great-aunt", or "great-uncle", from the point of view of who one is speaking to is very often not used by itself but precedes said individual's first name.
In my generation, we used surnames to distinguish grandparents when necessary. In my sister's kids generation, they use given names.

I've only recently gotten used to dropping kinship terms when speaking to relatives in my mom's generation, e.g. calling her sister simply "Barb" instead of "Aunt Barb". I think that reflects how conservative that branch of the family is in general.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:51 am In my generation, we used surnames to distinguish grandparents when necessary. In my sister's kids generation, they use given names.

I've only recently gotten used to dropping kinship terms when speaking to relatives in my mom's generation, e.g. calling her sister simply "Barb" instead of "Aunt Barb". I think that reflects how conservative that branch of the family is in general.
My daughter always calls my mother and father "grandma" and "grandma", and never by their first names, god forbid their last names. She similarly calls her grandparents on the other side "nana" and "papa".
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This reminds me, when I was a very small child, I called an elderly woman who was not at all related to me, but just a friend of the family, "Oma [her surname]". Oh, and since she had a thing for Camembert, which we sometimes got from her, back then I called Camembert "Oma-[her surname]-Käse", that is, "Oma-[her surname]-cheese". She died pretty early in my childhood, though.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

In the village where I grew up, my parents, at least when talking to us children, used terms like Onkel Herbert or Tante Anni for neighbours, even though they weren't related.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:28 am In the village where I grew up, my parents, at least when talking to us children, used terms like Onkel Herbert or Tante Anni for neighbours, even though they weren't related.
I remember hearing people doing that when I was growing up, but I don't remember if I've done it myself.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:28 am In the village where I grew up, my parents, at least when talking to us children, used terms like Onkel Herbert or Tante Anni for neighbours, even though they weren't related.
In American English, we even have the term "Dutch uncle" for someone you treat like an uncle (and perhaps even refer to with the title "uncle") but isn't actually related.

My Dutch uncle is "Uncle Tom", who is no relation to me but I think lived with my greatgrandparents at some point in the distant past. (I'm kind of hazy on the connexion at this point and my father is dead so I can no longer ask him.)