What do you call ...

Natural languages and linguistics
alynnidalar

Re: What do you call ...

Post by alynnidalar »

This is clear flyer erasure. (which to me is basically the same as brochure, but is always a single folded piece of (probably glossy) paper rather than having individual pages like a booklet, for advertising purposes. I'm actually not sure whether leaflet can have multiple pages for me or not, but I think "leaflet" can also cover something educational in nature, as opposed to "flyer" which for me I think is strictly advertising)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

alynnidalar wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:35 amThis is clear flyer erasure. (which to me is basically the same as brochure, but is always a single folded piece of (probably glossy) paper
Interesting. For me, flyers need neither be glossy nor folded. That photocopy of a picture of a dog with the caption "HAVE YOU SEEN ME?" stapled to the telephone pole on your street? That's a "flyer".
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

To me a flyer is just a single piece of paper that is given out, made available for taking, or simply posted somewhere (like Linguoboy's example of a flyer stapled to a telephone pole), and may be just about anything. A leaflet is almost the same thing, except it may be folded and may potentially involve multiple pages (held together by staples or just simply by being folded together), and is never stapled to a pole or a board.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

zompist wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:41 am
quinterbeck wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:20 pm
zompist wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:23 pm A handout is a very informal way to package a small text, often stapled together. (But a company could use the term for something fancier.)
Oh, for me a handout is distributed to a group of people in some kind of teaching or training session, containing some version of the information being presented.
That's another way of saying the same thing.
Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by 'text'. For example, in my mind, people proselytising on the street might offer tracts, which package a small text, but I wouldn't call those handouts.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

quinterbeck wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:06 am Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by 'text'. For example, in my mind, people proselytising on the street might offer tracts, which package a small text, but I wouldn't call those handouts.
That's covered by "informal"... tracts are usually nicely printed, and I'd expect them to be a single coherent essay. If they're cheaply produced or miscellaneous (e.g. a photocopied handwritten single page), I could in fact call them handouts.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:09 am
alynnidalar wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:35 amThis is clear flyer erasure. (which to me is basically the same as brochure, but is always a single folded piece of (probably glossy) paper
Interesting. For me, flyers need neither be glossy nor folded. That photocopy of a picture of a dog with the caption "HAVE YOU SEEN ME?" stapled to the telephone pole on your street? That's a "flyer".
Honestly, I forgot about that usage of flyer... I can use it for that as well, now that I think about it, the stapled-to-a-telephone-pole style, but the prototypical flyer for me is still this style.

If it's a loose piece of paper like Travis mentioned, I think I would only ever call that just a "sheet" or "paper"--I'd understand if someone else referred to it as a flyer, but I don't think I'd use that term myself.
Emily

Post by Emily »

alynnidalar wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:40 am
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:09 am
Honestly, I forgot about that usage of flyer... I can use it for that as well, now that I think about it, the stapled-to-a-telephone-pole style, but the prototypical flyer for me is still this style.

If it's a loose piece of paper like Travis mentioned, I think I would only ever call that just a "sheet" or "paper"--I'd understand if someone else referred to it as a flyer, but I don't think I'd use that term myself.
interesting, i personally would understand if somepne referred to the document you linked as a flier but i'd only call it a brochure (maybe "leaflet" but this feels a little, idk, overly specific? formal? idk but not the most basic term for sure), whereas a flier to me is a non-folded document, no bigger than a normal piece of printer paper, that is stapled to telephone poles, taped to traffic light columns, and handed out on street corners.aybe because i've spent the past 12 years doing all those things lol

side question, what are people's opinions on the spelling? i have always spelled it with an I but i think the Y is probably more common
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Emily wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:35 pmside question, what are people's opinions on the spelling? i have always spelled it with an I but i think the Y is probably more common
A "flyer" is a piece of paper. A "flier" is something which flies. (Except at my high school, where it's neither.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:09 am
Emily wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:35 pmside question, what are people's opinions on the spelling? i have always spelled it with an I but i think the Y is probably more common
A "flyer" is a piece of paper. A "flier" is something which flies. (Except at my high school, where it's neither.)
Agreed.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

And I thought Flyer in German was a pseudo-anglicism that isn't used that way in English at all, like Handy 'mobile phone'. I stand corrected ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
keenir

Post by keenir »

Does it matter whether the object in question is being given or gotten? Are we more likely to use one of the names if we're obtaining it, vs if we're passing it along to someone else?

ie, "I handed out fliers."
vs
"I picked up a brochure."
?
Travis B. wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:27 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:09 am
Agreed.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

My family calls my maternal grandma and grandpa, nan and pop respectively. Anyone else have something similar?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:12 am My family calls my maternal grandma and grandpa, nan and pop respectively. Anyone else have something similar?
When I was a child, my paternal grandparents were Oma and Opa, and my maternal grandparents were Omama and Opapa. My niece's family makes use of the fact that she is married to a native speaker of Tamil, and thus the (German) maternal grandparents are Oma and Opa, and the (Tamil) paternal grandparents are Tata and Nana (if I remember those words correctly).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
xxx

Post by xxx »

I've noticed that each sibling will often find different names for their maternal and paternal grandparents,
and not necessarily the same as other cousin siblings...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I only really knew my maternal grandparents while growing up, so that was not an issue for me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My daughter calls her maternal grandparents nana and papa and her paternal grandparents grandma and grandpa.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

It may be that that is why I used the Welsh word for the only grandparent I remember, rather than because Welsh was his first language.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

foxcatdog wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:12 am My family calls my maternal grandma and grandpa, nan and pop respectively. Anyone else have something similar?
Yeah, it was nanna and poppa in my family.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Kush is what came to mind when i was thinking of an alternate name for mariugana. What do you call it?
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Do you mean marijuana?