Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Man in Space »

Guy on Facebook (one of my local news station pages) strenuously objected to the humanities as academic study. After an exchange he told me “Good for you, son. Now take that to the bank and pay your bills with it”.

I work for a major financial institution. I posted my résumé and told him that that is exactly what I did with my degree.

He deleted his comments.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:30 am This past Monday, the European Commission announced the results for this year's Marie Skłodowska-Curie postdoctoral fellowship grant program. I applied back in September to go back to Luxembourg, because why not, plus it was a project that interested me greatly on fiber spinning and wearable technology incorporating some of my favorite things (liquid crystals).

The funding cutoff for the panel I was in (Physics) was with evaluation scores of 92.8 or better. I got a 99.4. So... I'm getting funded to move back to Luxembourg for a fun project. And just in time with the end of my contract here in the Netherlands at the end of March! (Meaning the job seekers' visa I applied for is now more a "vacation while I'm waiting for paperwork to be handled" visa: I'll likely be able to move at the end of June if things go well with the immigration procedure in Luxembourg.

Exciting times.
Nice!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:23 pm Guy on Facebook (one of my local news station pages) strenuously objected to the humanities as academic study. After an exchange he told me “Good for you, son. Now take that to the bank and pay your bills with it”.

I work for a major financial institution. I posted my résumé and told him that that is exactly what I did with my degree.

He deleted his comments.
I think this is the first time in a while I’ve ever heard of someone actually winning an Internet argument. Nice work!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:23 pm Guy on Facebook (one of my local news station pages) strenuously objected to the humanities as academic study. After an exchange he told me “Good for you, son. Now take that to the bank and pay your bills with it”.

He deleted his comments.
A good friend of mine majored in English. Now she is a lawyer working in consumer protection for the federal government.
alice

Post by alice »

Another year's worth of funding for my job has been secured.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

alice wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm Another year's worth of funding for my job has been secured.
Always a good feeling!

Happy: After a lot of pain and suffering, resubmissions, manuscript transfers, delayed reviews, and other events, an article with my one Master's student based on his M.Sc. thesis finally got accepted!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

alice wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm Another year's worth of funding for my job has been secured.
Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Congrats!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth 1.5.2 is out. I have been collaborating with another programmer on zeptoforth for a while now, and they contributed significant programmable I/O improvements for the RP2040 along with finding quite a few bugs and documentation issues that had missed my attention (such as that the last few bits of pi as defined for S31.32 fixed-point numerics were off or that my documentation of TASK::INIT-TASK was incorrect). Additionally, I have added support for the RP2040's watchdog to enable automatically rebooting the RP2040 if the system gets wedged along with rounding words for S15.16 fixed-point numerics.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

You know, it seems like the new band actually has wings. Earlier today I finally stitched together a proposal for the concept EP we were discussing (Egerius from the Other Place helped out by providing us some samples of his Amiga 500’s TTS function; he really went above and beyond). I also moved a bunch of other projects and materials over to the GDrive. Our likely vocalist checked some of it out and had positive reactions to it; I’m just waiting to hear from our practitioner of polychords.

Isao Tomita’s rendition of The Planets is now on Spotify in an updated “Ultimate Edition”. The album is of great personal significance to me because, when I was a young warthog, it was used as the background music to a Patrick Stewart-narrated documentary of the same name. I checked that out from the library so many times…when my Babcia was alive, we would often go thrifting, and I found a VHS copy of it once for something like $3.03.

I am amused by the latest developments in the Sound Change Game thread.

I finally switched the ID site over to being hosted.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:53 pm You know, it seems like the new band actually has wings. Earlier today I finally stitched together a proposal for the concept EP we were discussing (Egerius from the Other Place helped out by providing us some samples of his Amiga 500’s TTS function; he really went above and beyond). I also moved a bunch of other projects and materials over to the GDrive. Our likely vocalist checked some of it out and had positive reactions to it; I’m just waiting to hear from our practitioner of polychords.
Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:53 pm You know, it seems like the new band actually has wings. Earlier today I finally stitched together a proposal for the concept EP we were discussing (Egerius from the Other Place helped out by providing us some samples of his Amiga 500’s TTS function; he really went above and beyond). I also moved a bunch of other projects and materials over to the GDrive. Our likely vocalist checked some of it out and had positive reactions to it; I’m just waiting to hear from our practitioner of polychords.
Nice - great to hear!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

My congratulations to both of you, @Man in Space and @Raphael!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 am I self-published a small book!

https://www.verduria.org/viewtopic.php?p=79231#p79231
Congrats!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, WeepingElf and Travis!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I had some social media interactions that were quite fun over the last few hours. How rare is that these days?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

The new band has a logo now!

I threw the concept together in like 20 minutes on my lunch break and it was received extremely well.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

It's to complex for something which is essentially illegible.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

foxcatdog wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm It's to complex for something which is essentially illegible.
That’s kind of the point. “Cognitohazard”, like the SCP Foundation.