Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:43 pm The new band has a logo now!

I threw the concept together in like 20 minutes on my lunch break and it was received extremely well.
I love it! (Although I can’t read it at all… but that’s really the point with this style.) Reminds me strongly of Islamic calligraphy, especially Square Kufic.

EDIT: After staring at it for a bit, I can make out the letters. It’s clever what you’ve done to them.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:57 pm
Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:43 pm The new band has a logo now!

I threw the concept together in like 20 minutes on my lunch break and it was received extremely well.
I love it! (Although I can’t read it at all… but that’s really the point with this style.) Reminds me strongly of Islamic calligraphy, especially Square Kufic.

EDIT: After staring at it for a bit, I can make out the letters. It’s clever what you’ve done to them.
Thank you! This font is called “Ruman” and I’ve applied tweaks to the kerning, line spacing, and palette.

Should I make the descender of the “g” more distinct, do you think?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 pm Thank you! This font is called “Ruman” and I’ve applied tweaks to the kerning, line spacing, and palette.
Ah… I was under the impression that the design was yours.

(But a font like this shouldn’t have kerning, I think. Do you perhaps mean tracking?)
Should I make the descender of the “g” more distinct, do you think?
Possibly, but I don’t see any obvious way to do it.

While I’m at it, the first ⟨a⟩ could be made a little more distinct by keeping the top-right corner rounded.

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

bradrn wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm
Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 pm Thank you! This font is called “Ruman” and I’ve applied tweaks to the kerning, line spacing, and palette.

(But a font like this shouldn’t have kerning, I think. Do you perhaps mean tracking?)
I dunno. The setting in GIMP was labeled "Kerning".
Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 pm Should I make the descender of the “g” more distinct, do you think?
Smart-select the descender, grow the borders until it matches the rest of the gap spaces, erase the line. I'm going to try it out.
bradrn wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm While I’m at it, the first ⟨a⟩ could be made a little more distinct by keeping the top-right corner rounded.
I could see that, but then we'd lose the astroid [sic] effect.

EDIT: Try this—

DOUBLE EDIT: Or actually this—

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:58 pm

I dunno. The setting in GIMP was labeled "Kerning".
Just tried it; looks like GIMP has labeled it wrong.
Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 pm Should I make the descender of the “g” more distinct, do you think?
Smart-select the descender, grow the borders until it matches the rest of the gap spaces, erase the line. I'm going to try it out.
No, I meant that I couldn’t see how to make it work graphically. But you seem to have worked out a way.
EDIT: Try this—

DOUBLE EDIT: Or actually this—
Might I suggest something midway between these two? (Plus a small adjustment.)

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It looks like the first mostly kind of spring-like day of the year here!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

bradrn wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:21 am Might I suggest something midway between these two? (Plus a small adjustment.)

I agree with these changes, particularly changing the descender on the "g", which makes it much clearer that it is "g" and not "q".

(Like others, I found the logo rather baffling at first glance, but once I knew what the band name was, I was able to visualize the letters - the "z" was the most difficult.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

How’s this? (The vertical interruption in the first “a” seemed a little jarring; also made the “o” and the “d” more distinct.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:02 am The vertical interruption in the first “a” seemed a little jarring
Perhaps to some extent, but I feel it made the letter ⟨ɑ⟩ a lot more legible, especially since it got squeezed by the tail of the ⟨g⟩.

Speaking of ⟨g⟩, I’m actually having second thoughts. That tail has become so much longer than any of the other shapes in the design… not sure if I like it or not.

EDIT: Actually, you know what, I think I found a compromise which ticks all the boxes:

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 am I self-published a small book!

The mandatory copies of the book are on their way to the libraries.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Big news on my side: I’m going to Paris! Specifically, for the Université Paris-Saclay, where I’ve organised to do a research internship for four months. I may have mentioned this once or twice already, but now I have my visa and it looks like everything’s confirmed, which is nice.

Of course, I’m making an effort to learn French too. This is the first time I’m really seriously learning another language, so I don’t really know what I’m doing… but the immersion should help a lot, I hope!

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am Big news on my side: I’m going to Paris! Specifically, for the Université Paris-Saclay, where I’ve organised to do a research internship for four months. I may have mentioned this once or twice already, but now I have my visa and it looks like everything’s confirmed, which is nice.

Of course, I’m making an effort to learn French too. This is the first time I’m really seriously learning another language, so I don’t really know what I’m doing… but the immersion should help a lot, I hope!
Congratulations and good luck!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:22 am Big news on my side: I’m going to Paris! Specifically, for the Université Paris-Saclay, where I’ve organised to do a research internship for four months. I may have mentioned this once or twice already, but now I have my visa and it looks like everything’s confirmed, which is nice.

Nice - congratulations! And good luck with the learning French!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Mes félicitations!
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Good luck. May it be less disastrous than the first time I tried to speak German in real life. I wouldn't be surprised if the main benefit of immersion is that it deliberately induces social anxiety, motivating the learner to avoid embarrassment. :lol:
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Thanks all!

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Excellent!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Very cool; congrats! Sounds quite exciting. And being in France definitely helps with the learning French, at least in my experience. (If you end up in/near Luxembourg from July onwards, let me know. :P)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Small happy: back when I lived in France in 2011-12, there was a song I heard on the radio that kinda got stuck in my head, but I couldn't make out any of the words to it; only the melody line. I heard it again in 2016, but, same deal: couldn't make out the words, but remembered the melody.

On a whim today, though, I found an online "song recognizer" because there was another song I wanted to try to figure out that I keep hearing in the supermarkets here in Tulipland. I decided to input the melody that I could remember... and, well, that twelve-year mystery was finally solved! (Now to try to figure out what the song I keep hearing in the supermarket is... that recognizer didn't work, and I haven't been able to pick out the lyrics...)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Guess what

Code: Select all

11 0 ?do i loop >cells [: dup 4 >= swap 7 < and ;] filter ' 1+ map ' . iter
will do.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.