Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Risla

Happy things thread!

Post by Risla »

Let me just kick this thread off!

I've been feeling a bit down because summer here is frankly awful and I haven't been able to spend long periods of time outside, but today, after a doctor appointment in the morning, I decided I needed to get out and do something in spite of the boiling heat. So I got on the train bound for Nara and researched things to do in Nara that I haven't already done.

I stumbled across a website talking about a path called the Yamanobe-no-Michi (山の辺の道) and decided to go check it out. Because it's hot (very hot) and I was unprepared, I only did the first leg of the trail, but...it's really incredible. One of the coolest places I've found in Japan. It's this little path that winds through orchards and villages and bamboo groves and farms, with regularly spaced temples/shrines/archaeological sites every few kilometers (all very ancient). It's apparently the oldest road mentioned in Japanese records.

If I hadn't been pouring sweat, I would have done the whole thing (about 16km apparently). I'm super excited to go back.
Linguoboy

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Linguoboy »

Most of my happy things these days seem to be related to crises averted. Case in point: I was glad to hear yesterday that wildfire seems to be receding from my in-laws' homes in Oregon. My brother- and sister-in-law live on a rural route with their children and grandchildren and there's a huge blaze (25000 acres/10000 ha) in the mountains behind them. Last week it came within a quarter mile (~ 400 m) of their property and there was a mandatory evacuation order but my BIL and his son stayed behind to guard the houses with hoses and sprinklers. Incredibly, not a single one of the 2600 firefighters or any of the local residents has been killed nor any permanent structures destroyed.
alice

Post by alice »

I will hopefully be returning to work for the second time soon, with any luck.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

I've finally perfected the settings for my word generator so I can finally get to generating roots for my faux-Egyptian conlang.
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

i've completed sketches of 3 new conlangs which i'm very satisfied with. yay!
when the hell did that happen
Risla

Post by Risla »

alice wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 am I will hopefully be returning to work for the second time soon, with any luck.
Good luck with this!
alice

Post by alice »

Risla wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm
alice wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 am I will hopefully be returning to work for the second time soon, with any luck.
Good luck with this!
Doso. Returning is one thing; staying returned is another. But I know ore now than I did the first time.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

alice wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 am
Risla wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm
Good luck with this!
Doso. Returning is one thing; staying returned is another. But I know ore now than I did the first time.
In any case, good luck!
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

The board restarting makes it easier to join the really long threads because much of the history and context isn't as necessary.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
bbbosborne

Post by bbbosborne »

i don't have to keep my left hand primed to ctrl+r so much anymore
when the hell did that happen
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bbbosborne wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 am i don't have to keep my left hand primed to ctrl+r so much anymore
I also am so glad I don't have to constantly reload anymore.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Risla

Post by Risla »

I've been doing an intermittent fasting program where I fast after 5PM until whenever I have breakfast the next morning, with some exceptions allowed (in social situations where other people are eating and after exercise, basically). It's been really easy to stick to and has been incredibly good for my overall relationship with food. I have ED-NOS and usually really struggle with compulsive behavior around food, and this has been greatly ameliorated since I've been fasting, to an extent that I did not expect at all. I thought it would help only during the fasting periods, but it helps around the clock.
Ketumak

Post by Ketumak »

Good to see people posting here who frequented the venting thread in recent times. Whilst I've been away my news has mostly been ventable, but one good bit was standing for election in May. After lamenting the state of UK politics here and elsewhere, I thought well, if the likes of May, Johnson and Rees-Mogg can run the country, surely I can stand for district council?

The district is responsible for environment, housing, parks and a few other things (the county does schools libraries and transport). The Liberal Democrats have asked me to stand before, but this time I said yes and came second out of four with 218 votes. I was well behind the Conservative but ahead of Labour and the Greens. I met some interesting people whilst canvassing and it was good to attend a count and see the votes piling up!
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

What party where you running in? Or were you independent?

Also running for election at least once makes you a politician in my book. Never talked to a politician before. Neat
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I'm going to a gay wedding!

You'd think we the rush of marriages following the Supreme Court ruling I'd have been invited before now, but most of my good friends were either confirmed bachelors or as married as they were going to get. So I've only ever been to one same-sex wedding, between a lesbian and a bi friend, and that was over two decades ago.

WHAT AM I GOING TO WEAR?
Ketumak

Post by Ketumak »

In reply to methru (sorry, I can't get the diacritics on this tablet), I stood as a Liberal Democrat, I guess this does make me a proper politician now, though I've been a party member for years.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 pm WHAT AM I GOING TO WEAR?
You get to pick?
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

ALL THE CLOTHES. ALL OF THEM!
kårroť
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

or none of them, but you'd probably be kicked out
kårroť
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

mèþru wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 pmor none of them, but you'd probably be kicked out
That's for the afterparty.

The invite says "Classy Casual (plaid apparel encouraged)". Fortunately I have some classy plaid boxers.