Kala updates etc.

Conworlds and conlangs
Zju

Re: Kala updates etc.

Post by Zju »

I really dig the aesthetics. Are those retconned, or did you start making some new glyphs?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
masako

Post by masako »

Zju wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:39 am I really dig the aesthetics.
Thank you. My artistry is less-than-great, but I try.
Zju wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:39 am Are those retconned, or did you start making some new glyphs?
They are indeed retconned, but I am also working on a revision that includes making new glyphs.

I was reviewing some additions and found some duplicate glyphs and I wanted to use the revision to add something of substance to the glyph dictionary. This is what I came up with.
kodé

Post by kodé »

masako wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:29 pm
kodé wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:30 am This is super cool (like always)! Reverse engineering historical processes is always a blast, and gives one a ton to think about :D
It's so good to see you active again. And I completely agree...a lot to think about.
Thanks! Wonderful to be here and to read this—and most of all to see your work!
masako

Post by masako »

I have reached 1,116 glyphs for Omyatloko. This process has been a decade in the making, and one of the more challenging conlang endeavors I have undertaken. While I may pursue other writing systems in the future, this one is as complete as it can be for my purposes and preferences. I can see possible tweaks and changes that involve subtle differences from its current form, but major additions or alterations are fairly unlikely.

I hope you enjoy it. Omyatloko Logosyllabary PDF.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

masako wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm I have reached 1,116 glyphs for Omyatloko. This process has been a decade in the making, and one of the more challenging conlang endeavors I have undertaken.
Damn, good job! I struggle just to make 50 glyphs, I could not fathom working on over a thousand.
xxx

Post by xxx »

nice!
I love the omya walls,
and the sokue mechanics too little represented...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ahzoh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:26 pm
masako wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm I have reached 1,116 glyphs for Omyatloko. This process has been a decade in the making, and one of the more challenging conlang endeavors I have undertaken.
Damn, good job! I struggle just to make 50 glyphs, I could not fathom working on over a thousand.
Seconded!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
xxx

Post by xxx »

From the outside, the glyphs look very similar to me.
If this is a guarantee of homogeneity,
it's also a difficulty for recognition and memorization
given their number...
can you trace them without memory aids...
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I'd argue it's still more memorizable than cuneiform.
keenir

Post by keenir »

masako wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:51 pm I have reached 1,116 glyphs for Omyatloko.

this one is as complete as it can be for my purposes and preferences.

I hope you enjoy it. Omyatloko Logosyllabary PDF.
Kudos and congrats on reaching that number. Also many kudos for attaining such a level of completeness.
äreo

Post by äreo »

This is impressive. I don't have much else to say, but yeah. Playing the long game pays off.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Congratulations on this impressive achievement.
masako

Post by masako »

Ahzoh wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:26 pm Damn, good job! I struggle just to make 50 glyphs, I could not fathom working on over a thousand.
Travis B. wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:14 pmSeconded!
keenir wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:51 pm Kudos and congrats on reaching that number. Also many kudos for attaining such a level of completeness.
äreo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:57 pm This is impressive. I don't have much else to say, but yeah. Playing the long game pays off.
Thank you all very much. There are a few editing (house-keeping) type things to be done, but I'll make sure to post any updated document links here for those interested.
masako

Post by masako »

After polishing-up the Omyatloko script, I went back and improved the Moya description. Here is the old one, and the new one.
xxx

Post by xxx »

oh I've always thought of your yotsakua as an ant...
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thank you for sharing this; I have read the old document on Moya, but it's been a little while. I have always found Moya to be an interesting script; at first glance, many of the characters seem difficult to tell apart, but when looking at the examples, I was able to parse the script without much difficulty. (This was with the help of the Latin transcription, mind you; I would need more practice to sight-read Moya itself.)

There was only one point in the document that caused me a moment of confusion: the page on the yotsakua mentions the moyamatse, which are not introduced until a few pages later. (I initially went backwards to try to find mention of what they were, before reading forward again and finding them.)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I should say more generally that I have always been impressed by your conlanging (I re-read the Kala grammar a while back) and especially the depth and breadth of your conscripts (particularly Omyatloko, which is a project I find flabbergasting); my own meager efforts in that direction have been largely unsuccessful.

(I have two or three conscript ideas that I have poked at over the years; I know the basic structure and aesthetic that I want, but I have not been able to come up with letterforms that I like.)
masako

Post by masako »

Glenn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:05 am Thank you for sharing this; I have read the old document on Moya, but it's been a little while. I have always found Moya to be an interesting script; at first glance, many of the characters seem difficult to tell apart, but when looking at the examples,
It took me years too. Thank you, Glenn.
Glenn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:05 am There was only one point in the document that caused me a moment of confusion: the page on the yotsakua mentions the moyamatse, which are not introduced until a few pages later. (I initially went backwards to try to find mention of what they were, before reading forward again and finding them.)
That makes sense...I will keep this in mind for the next revision. Thank you.
Glenn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:10 am I should say more generally that I have always been impressed by your conlanging (I re-read the Kala grammar a while back) and especially the depth and breadth of your conscripts (particularly Omyatloko, which is a project I find flabbergasting); my own meager efforts in that direction have been largely unsuccessful.
Thank you!!
Glenn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:10 am (I have two or three conscript ideas that I have poked at over the years; I know the basic structure and aesthetic that I want, but I have not been able to come up with letterforms that I like.)
if it's any solace, Omyatloko took me just over a decade...around 13 years if we are counting from initial premise. I happen to know a certain famous conlanger that worked on a script for five years before reaching the desired aesthetic, and that was with the help of a loyal group of fans. These things can take time, absolutely, but that's one of the things I love about conlanging, the depths one can go to achieve the goal.

Thank you, Glenn. It's truly great to see you on the board again, and to have your comments fills me with pride.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

@masako: Thank you in return for your kind words; they mean a lot to me.
masako

Post by masako »

Kenamoya abugida – A decorative script for Kala centered on a circular design.