Kala updates etc.

Conworlds and conlangs
masako

Re: Kala updates etc.

Post by masako »

This is the current "fix" to the above question.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I am consistently impressed by the work you do on this.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

masako wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:06 pm Image

Trying to sort my glyphs to avoid duplicates. How would you sort the above glyph as it contains both A and B components?
Based on later information, I would sort it as "B", because the "B" element is the more plainly visible when trying to read it both from the top, and from the left.
masako

Post by masako »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:50 pm I am consistently impressed by the work you do on this.
nyasampa
Thank you very much.
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:50 pm Based on later information, I would sort it as "B", because the "B" element is the more plainly visible when trying to read it both from the top, and from the left.
What you say makes sense, however, in order to establish a consistent pattern of reading (and thus collation/categorization) the result of my deliberation means that the example given would be sorted in the hamo component rather than the huka (which is the one you are suggesting). The later image I posted has an error and should in fact say "top to bottom before left to right".

Additionally, after a few trial runs at a handwritten notebook catalogue of the glyphs, there will likely be further changes to several glyphs, definitions, and usage rules (e.g. when a glyph is used vs when syllables are used). My stated goal of 1K glyphs is reachable given that - as multiple people have pointed out - there are just over 4K glyphs possible based on my glyph design parameters, and that I am using the Kyōiku and Jōyō kanji lists as a guide for which vocabulary should/might get/need a glyph. However, a secondary goal is to avoid redundant glyphs, which means sometimes triple-checking before assigning a definition, and/or making a new glyph. So, having a consistent, predictable, and ultimately simple collating method is massively important. But I do thank you for your input and interest.
masako

Post by masako »

Been in the salt mines...

For your enjoyment: link mp3 stored on google drive

https://i.imgur.com/dcIL62m.png corresponding text
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Excellent as always! I like the script especially.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

masako wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:03 pm Been in the salt mines...

For your enjoyment: link mp3 stored on google drive

https://i.imgur.com/dcIL62m.png corresponding text
It seems I don't have access to the mp3 files.
masako

Post by masako »

Man in Space wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 pm Excellent as always! I like the script especially.
Thank you very much.
Ares Land wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:09 am It seems I don't have access to the mp3 files.
That's unfortunate.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Glad to see this project coming along, as always.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
masako

Post by masako »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:25 pm Glad to see this project coming along, as always.
Thank you very much.
masako

Post by masako »

aye | seko naha-puani-hue kuetso ma sahe-n nya to hali-nko | ampa o tsola-n anya | o tsola te muta-hue naha-n sahe teya | kye tsola nke nye na muya yo t-ena kute ma e-na nuesi-tli | seko tsola-n koso ke uala na muya-tli yo nantao nuesi | po tsola omo-pua ma nkata | po seko mutan te tsola uaya ma tsola yoko-mu | ehe naha-n sahe-tso-nko seko elo kute | naye sila-lo-n hoyo tsema-nko seko ka’e tsola kaue ma o kye nye muya-ye ka…ima ta nuesi | seko kye na’i tlanipak…itla kata-n nayo

it was | scorpion river-bank-LOC stroll and across-ACC for way wonder-PROG | sudden 3s.ANIM fox-ACC see | 3s.ANIM fox of back-LOC river-ACC across request | was-said fox no because 1s do then 2s-P.1s sting and P.1s drown-FUT | scorpion fox-ACC assure TOP verily 1s do-FUT then both.of.us drown | so fox think-PFV and agree | so scorpion back-ACC of fox ascend and fox swim-INCH | but river-ACC across-half-PROG scorpion P.3s bite | during vein-PL-ACC 3s.ANIM.GEN overflow-PROG scorpion toward fox look.at and 3s was.said because do-PST Q now 2s drown | scorpion was.said 1s.REFL cease-ABIL-NEG this essence-ACC 1s.GEN

"A scorpion was walking along the bank of a river, wondering how to get to the other side. Suddenly he saw a fox. He asked the fox to take him on his back across the river. The fox said, "No, if I do that, you'll sting me, and I'll drown." The scorpion assured him, "If I did that, we'd both drown." So, the fox thought about it and finally agreed. So, the scorpion climbed up on his back, and the fox began to swim. But halfway across the river, the scorpion stung him. As the poison filled his veins, the fox turned to the scorpion and said, "why did you do that? Now you'll drown too." "I couldn't help it," said the scorpion. "It's my nature.""

I have fewer than 300 glyphs to make before I reach my 1K goal, hope to publish a sizable PDF before the new year.

Audio
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

The script looks beautiful and very decorative.
masako

Post by masako »

hwhatting wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am The script looks beautiful and very decorative.
Thank you for your kind words.
Herra Ratatoskr

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I'm so glad to see that Kala is still a going concern, I've always liked it, especially the script work on it.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!
masako

Post by masako »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:11 pm I'm so glad to see that Kala is still a going concern, I've always liked it, especially the script work on it.
Thank you for the kind words.

There are now 840 glyphs...I can see the finish line, and it is wonderful.
keenir

Post by keenir »

masako wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:29 amThere are now 840 glyphs...I can see the finish line,
Excellent! kudos on sticking with Kala for as long as you have. its an excellent writing system and conlang.
and it is wonderful.
Deservedly so.
masako

Post by masako »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q3upXD ... sp=sharing

This is not the finished document, but I thought I would share the progress thus far.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

masako wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:31 pm[awesomeness]
masako…you may get tired of hearing this, but I do genuinely mean it when I say that this has floored me. And this is just a preview?!

Omyatloko is everything I wish that Caber (or CT with its scripts) could be, but isn't. I love your system, and I love the irregularities/occasional violations within your system. You have an excellent mix of phonetic and semantic glyphs, a system of radicals for them, multiple modes of writing them…and somehow it all just feels appropriate and like it's a peak of the art. It's something one can aspire to.
masako

Post by masako »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm I do genuinely mean it when I say that this has floored me
Wow, thank you!
Man in Space wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm Omyatloko is everything I wish that Caber (or CT with its scripts) could be, but isn't.
Thank you so much, it's been a labor of love, much as I suspect Caber has been for you.
Man in Space wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:44 pm It's something one can aspire to.

I appreciate that, very much, but I hesitate to wish this on anyone. The process has been slow, and revisions, many. I've stumbled and actually skipped a few years because of blocks in either the design of the glyphs, or the annotation process, but it makes me very happy to know that folks are enjoying it...and I am even more motivated now than when I first started this project.

As a note, for anyone thinking about a logosyllabary for their lang...once you start, you'll notice that the way you think about lemma and morphology changes with each milestone in the script-making process. You'll find yourself revising lexical entries, making slight alterations to phraseology, and wanting to throw the whole thing out. It's true. Don't. Keep going, keep thinking and creating, most of the speedbumps will work themselves out.

EDIT: This will likely be my opus. I cannot envision myself embarking on any major scripting projects for quite some time following the completion of this. As I said, this one has actually cost me sleep, and likely earned me a few more gray hairs than I otherwise would have had.
masako

Post by masako »

Was getting questions about "The Process!", so I wrote this up. Posting here for anyone curious.