Conworlds and conlangs
Ares Land

Re: Kala updates etc.

Post by Ares Land »

Thanks! That's very helpful, really.
masako

Post by masako »

Ares Land wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:39 pm Thanks! That's very helpful, really.
Good, it makes me happy that I was able to explain it fairly well.

____

I set myself a goal of reaching 1K glyphs before the end of 2022. As of today there are 1008. I'll be publishing the document in a few weeks after editing/reviewing.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Well done!
masako

Post by masako »

Here it is. There are 1047 glyphs, subject to change, but this is the basis of the system. I am planning to add sections for the "epigraphic" logograms, and thematic listings of a few topics. I hope you enjoy it. This is about a decade of work (with large and frequent breaks). If you see any issues, spelling, editing, etc., please don't hesitate to let me know.

https://footballbatsandmore.files.wordp ... ionary.pdf
masako

Post by masako »

All 1047 logograms in one gif

just for fun

masako

Post by masako »

The thematic section of the glyph dictionary is underway.

hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

I don't remember whether you have a conworld going with Kala, but if there is, there absolutely must be people who use Kala glyphs because they look cool, and then spell nonsense with them, like they do with Chinese signs in our world ;-)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 am I don't remember whether you have a conworld going with Kala, but if there is, there absolutely must be people who use Kala glyphs because they look cool, and then spell nonsense with them, like they do with Chinese signs in our world ;-)
LOL :D
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 am I don't remember whether you have a conworld going with Kala, but if there is, there absolutely must be people who use Kala glyphs because they look cool, and then spell nonsense with them, like they do with Chinese signs in our world ;-)
At this point, I have to think of the translation snafus that make up the majority of Language Log posts, or an incident involving a German cultural studies journal that changed the cover of one issue because the Chinese characters on it had turned out to be an advertisement for a brothel.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
masako

Post by masako »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 am I don't remember whether you have a conworld going with Kala, but if there is...
For a long time I saw Kala as only an artlang. Then, when COIVD came followed by homeschooling and telework, I was looking for a way to give my 9 y/o (at the time) something fun to look forward to, something with consistency that she could enjoy. So, I began telling her bedtime stories every night, and I decided to make it serialized and place it in a conworld using Kala and various notions I had about what the speakers of Kala might be like.

How that relates to omyatloko is; I worked out that some of the folks in this conworld used the logography based on tradition and as a way to "honor the ancestors" whereas the rest of the folks used moya because it is seen as easier and more efficient.

So, yeah.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

That's a great idea, to use storytelling to share your conworld with your child...
I made up bed-time stories for my daughter when she was young, but I never thought of basing some of them on Tarra - a pity, but now it's too late, she is way out of the age for bed-time stories :-)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Yes. The Hobbit came into being just that way.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Moved from the Conlang fluency thread, because I don't feel like the effort to discuss this in Tautisca :-) :
masako wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:46 am hina na nkayohuan moyaye
I wrote about the week of flowers here.
Interesting calendar.
Do the Kala live on (some version of) our earth? If yes, does that mean that the 361 day calendar is perpetually out of synch with the solar year, and the dates move through the solar years like in the Islamic calendar? At least, I didn't see anything about leap days...
masako

Post by masako »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am Do the Kala live on (some version of) our earth?
The con-folks I came-up with are called Tamaka, but they speak Kala. And the setting is an Earth-like planet, yes.
hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am If yes, does that mean that the 361 day calendar is perpetually out of synch with the solar year, and the dates move through the solar years like in the Islamic calendar?
Honestly, the calendar was something I developed for journaling in Kala and really doesn't go any further than that. I incorporated it into the bedtime stories for my daughter, but only as a way to mark events.
hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am At least, I didn't see anything about leap days...
The very first line at the top of the page I linked to includes:

"The 26th of February through the 1st of March is called the nkayohua, or "flower-week". This period includes the 29th of February in leap years."

Thanks for the questions.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

masako wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:47 pm
hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am If yes, does that mean that the 361 day calendar is perpetually out of synch with the solar year, and the dates move through the solar years like in the Islamic calendar?
Honestly, the calendar was something I developed for journaling in Kala and really doesn't go any further than that. I incorporated it into the bedtime stories for my daughter, but only as a way to mark events.
If you ever decide to track it more consistently, I recommend this service and use it for Twin Aster.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

masako wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:47 pm
hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:20 am At least, I didn't see anything about leap days...
The very first line at the top of the page I linked to includes:

"The 26th of February through the 1st of March is called the nkayohua, or "flower-week". This period includes the 29th of February in leap years."
Yes, but that confused me - if it's a 361 day calendar, Gregorian February 29th wouldn't fall into the same period every year. Actually, your entire table of correspondences would go out of synch by 4 days every year, even if you include a leap day on the day equivalent to Feb. 29th. Or do I miss something here?
I mean, if the Tamaka don't live on earth and don't have contact with Earth, all that doesn't matter much, as there is no need to synch the calendars. It just intrigued me, and you obviously put in a lot of effort in the table of correspondences.
masako

Post by masako »

hwhatting wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:12 am Yes, but that confused me - if it's a 361 day calendar, Gregorian February 29th wouldn't fall into the same period every year.
If you look at the chart, the "timu" month ends on the 25th of February. The immediate successive month "tanka", begins on the 2nd of March. This means that in non-leap years the "week of flowers" includes the 26th February through the 1st of March with *no* February 29th, and conversely, in leap years, it *does* include the 29th of February, or in other words;

nkayohua = 4 days (5 days in leap year)

It tracks quite well, with no adjustment needed.

Probably should note that terms like "week" and "month" are something that I have played very loose with re this calendar, but the math checks out just fine.
Man in Space wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 pm If you ever decide to track it more consistently, I recommend this service and use it for Twin Aster.
I very much appreciate that, but it's not necessary.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

masako wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:01 am If you look at the chart, the "timu" month ends on the 25th of February. The immediate successive month "tanka", begins on the 2nd of March. This means that in non-leap years the "week of flowers" includes the 26th February through the 1st of March with *no* February 29th, and conversely, in leap years, it *does* include the 29th of February, or in other words;

nkayohua = 4 days (5 days in leap year)

It tracks quite well, with no adjustment needed.

Probably should note that terms like "week" and "month" are something that I have played very loose with re this calendar, but the math checks out just fine.
Sorry, I just was dense - I didn't get that nkayohua is exactly the period that puts the Kala calendar in synch with the Earth calendar.
masako

Post by masako »

No worries, I very much appreciate the interest.
masako

Post by masako »

The latest version of the Omyatloko Glyph Dictionary.