British Politics Guide

Topics that can go away
alice

Re: British Politics Guide

Post by alice »

Bear in mind that he has to avoid offending the most important people in any election campaign: the owners of the right-wing newspapers.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Ketsuban

Post by Ketsuban »

Since nobody linked the source.
Sunak received his loudest applause from the Tory crowd in Manchester when he [baldly declared]: “A man is a man and a woman is a woman.” Does Starmer [...] agree? “Yes, of course,” he responds crisply and without qualification. “You know, a woman is a female adult.”
Call me crazy, but when Keir Starmer answers the question "do you agree with Rishi Sunak's statements on trans women" with an emphatic yes I'm inclined to think he's telling you what he thinks rather than that he's playing nine-dimensional electoral chess. I only trust politicians to go back on their word when it involves adopting left-wing policies.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ketsuban wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:25 pmI'm inclined to think he's telling you what he thinks rather than that he's playing nine-dimensional electoral chess.
It's not so much nine-dimensional electoral chess as plain cowardice. But yes, it could be simply what he thinks, too.
Arkasas

Post by Arkasas »

Salmoneus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:35 pm Part of it is the gradual intellectual and moral decline of the Tory party. Just look at, say, Tory Foreign Secretaries. Johnson and Hunt are no Hammond and Hague; Hammond and Hague are no Rifkind and Hurd. Rifkind and Hurd were arguably no Major and Howe, and certainly Major and Howe were no Carrington and Pym.
Sunak, in his infinite wisdom, seems to have found a solution to this decline, at least as far as Foreign Secretaries go: David Cameron. :lol:
there's not an n
alice

Post by alice »

To quote someone else: "Yesterday's Man for Tomorrow's Future!".
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Not that I'd have any sympathy for either Sunak or Cameron, of course, but I do kind of wonder what's it like to work in a lower position in a place where you used to be the boss, or to have someone working for you who used to do your current job.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Just started to read the Wikipedia article on the whole Post Office scandal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_P ... ce_scandal

Wow. That's really very fucked up.

(On a minor note, I wish at least one of the news reports or blog posts I read on the matter would have explained the basics of what happened as clearly and concisely as the opening paragraph of the Wikipedia article. For a while, all I understood was that there was something somehow scandalous involving the British Post Office, computers, and miscarriages of justice.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:44 am Just started to read the Wikipedia article on the whole Post Office scandal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_P ... ce_scandal

Wow. That's really very fucked up.
Ian Hislop of Private Eye has made bringing this to light something of a personal crusade and has delivered several blistering screeds on the subject. I'm not sure if it's him who coined the descriptor "the most widespread miscarriage of justice in UK history" but I've heard him deploy it several times.

Even after I understood the basic scandal, he was instrumental in helping me comprehend one of the most appalling aspects of it: It was essentially the rich plundering the middle-class. The higher-ups new that the software was faulty and that the subpostmaters couldn't possibly have owed that much, but the money for their bonuses had to come from somewhere. Hislop correctly identified the scandal as a direct consequence of running the Post for profit.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Trivial note: a few days ago, I noticed that the word "laboratory" contains the names of both of the major British parties (yes, I know about the missing "u"), and now I can't unsee that.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:45 am Trivial note: a few days ago, I noticed that the word "laboratory" contains the names of both of the major British parties (yes, I know about the missing "u"), and now I can't unsee that.
That somehow reminded me of how, when I was a pre-teen and didn't know much English yet, I was wondering about the Leber-Party they were talking about in the news (that was that period in the 70s when Britain seemed to have an election about every year) - did Britain have parties where everybody ate liver, and what did that have to do with politics?