British Politics Guide

Topics that can go away
chris_notts

Re: British Politics Guide

Post by chris_notts »

alice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:24 am It's there as a dog-whistle to the rabid right wingers who make up the majority of the party's support.
Who cares if you're damaging the UK's reputation abroad as long as you can appeal to a minority of extremists at home. :roll:
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

What's the modern part of the slavery system? You can buy them online? Or by swiping your card?
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:59 am What's the modern part of the slavery system? You can buy them online? Or by swiping your card?
It's supposed to be a system for helping those captured in "modern" slavery, which doesn't normally involve buying people, but tricking them to come work for you then stealing their passport, isolating them, underpaying them, getting them addicted to drugs etc.

So what they're saying is that they're not going to help rescue illegal immigrants from abuse.

But it does sound like it's a modern slave trading system.
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Of course their intended meaning is also pretty despicable.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

@chris: Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I got what this is about (and yes, it's still despicable); my questions were meant as a joke. :-)
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:51 am @chris: Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I got what this is about (and yes, it's still despicable); my questions were meant as a joke. :-)
Sorry, that happens fairly regularly.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

chris_notts wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:13 pm
hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:51 am @chris: Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I got what this is about (and yes, it's still despicable); my questions were meant as a joke. :-)
Sorry, that happens fairly regularly.
No worries :-)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I grudgingly have to admit that the BBC's own coverage of the controversy that they themselves started by being overly scared of the right-wing outrage machine is at least somewhat more fair-minded than I'd have expected:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertain ... s-64895316
chris_notts

Post by chris_notts »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:30 am I grudgingly have to admit that the BBC's own coverage of the controversy that they themselves started by being overly scared of the right-wing outrage machine is at least somewhat more fair-minded than I'd have expected:

They always do this, for some reason. No one likes to give the BBC management a kicking more than a BBC News reporter.

EDIT: to be clear, they deserve it this time. Lineker covers sport, not news, and in the past they've employed plenty of people with a political line elsewhere, including to cover politics, e.g. Andrew Neil with his long standing involvement with the Spectator and his very transparent right-wing views.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

chris_notts wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:10 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:30 am I grudgingly have to admit that the BBC's own coverage of the controversy that they themselves started by being overly scared of the right-wing outrage machine is at least somewhat more fair-minded than I'd have expected:

They always do this, for some reason. No one likes to give the BBC management a kicking more than a BBC News reporter.
Good point.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

That was close.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 amThat was close.
SNP leadership election?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

sangi39 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:14 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 amThat was close.
SNP leadership election?
Yup. (For those still catching up, after Ash Regan was last in the first round and the second preferences of her supporters got redistributed, Humza Yousaf beat Kate Forbes 52 percent to 48 percent.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

In that case, let me highlight this comment of alice’s again:
alice wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:35 pm On a rather different note, someone pointed out the potentially delicious irony of a Hindu Prime Minister and a Muslim First Minister of Scotland arguing about partition of the United Kingdom.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:55 pm On the other hand, being able to eat what we want when we want is right up there with not calling a priest every time we cut our finger as one of the great advancements of the modern world. It makes perfect sense that people don't want to give that up. The traditional northern European diet of boiled radishes with tallow candles floating in it died for a reason.
I don't think it's necessarily about eating what we want when we want because here in Réunion the actual ingredients in many people's diets seem less varied these days: burger, pizza (and other variants of wheat, tomato, cheese) v various actual individual species of taro, manioc, various species I don't know English names for etc. It's more about following whatever the megacorps want you to like because they get ill-gotten money out of it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:40 amIt's more about following whatever the megacorps want you to like because they get ill-gotten money out of it.
But how does a type of food become favored by "the megacorps" in the first place? I don't think the desires of a lot of people are quite as irrelevant for that as you seem to think they are. And I'm generally no fan of the "People would share my own preferences if they wouldn't be unduly influenced by bad people"-mindset.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:40 am I don't think it's necessarily about eating what we want when we want because here in Réunion the actual ingredients in many people's diets seem less varied these days: burger, pizza (and other variants of wheat, tomato, cheese) v various actual individual species of taro, manioc, various species I don't know English names for etc. It's more about following whatever the megacorps want you to like because they get ill-gotten money out of it.
Hey Reunion, you know when Sempai says you're the metropole not the periphery, he's lying to you, right?
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:40 amIt's more about following whatever the megacorps want you to like because they get ill-gotten money out of it.
But how does a type of food become favored by "the megacorps" in the first place? I don't think the desires of a lot of people are quite as irrelevant for that as you seem to think they are. And I'm generally no fan of the "People would share my own preferences if they wouldn't be unduly influenced by bad people"-mindset.
Oh, logistics and ease of mass production. These improve a lot if people grow a handful of cash crops instead of something more diverse.
It's not just megacorps; governments are in on it too. Government help and regulation are a huge factor in what actually gets grown.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Raphael wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am
Sure, there are other factors, like cultural domination. People would obviously not have my preferences but they would have preferences less distorted by them.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 pm
MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:40 am I don't think it's necessarily about eating what we want when we want because here in Réunion the actual ingredients in many people's diets seem less varied these days: burger, pizza (and other variants of wheat, tomato, cheese) v various actual individual species of taro, manioc, various species I don't know English names for etc. It's more about following whatever the megacorps want you to like because they get ill-gotten money out of it.
Hey Reunion, you know when Sempai says you're the metropole not the periphery, he's lying to you, right?
I don't know Sempai but of course Réunion is the periphery and not the metropole. Otherwise, you'd all be eating kari shoushou and gato patate.