Tiffany problems

Topics that can go away
MacAnDàil

Re: Tiffany problems

Post by MacAnDàil »

The following appears to be a case of that: I used to think that Lonely by Akon was the original and, even when I heard the 1962 original by Bobby Vinton, I was not sure whether it was a cover version.
FlamyobatRudki

Post by FlamyobatRudki »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Salmoneus wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 pmWith Chernobyl, people keep saying that it's a great series but ruined by "unrealistic" lack of Russian accents. Because of course Ukrainian workers would spend their days speaking American English with a strong, Cold-War-spy-film-style Russian accent...
Yeah, the use of foreign-accented English for characters who are presumably speaking their native languages is one of the weirdest preoccupations of my people. Right now I'm playing in a role-playing game set in Mexico City and we had to make it an explicit rule that no one would attempt a Mexican accent--because you know if we didn't, somebody would! (I'm playing a hick character so he has a hick accent--a Missouri hick accent since the other players mostly speak like Chicagoans.)
*character attempt to speak english with speaks with heavy mexican accent*
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:31 am I sometimes get the feeling that a lot of Germans consider the 70s the peak of American music making. My brother went on a camping trip with a group of Pfadfinder in high school and came back complaining that in sing-alongs all they wanted to hear was John Denver.
When was that? It wouldn't surprise me if that was in the 80s or 90s, because the stuff that's sung in sing-alongs tends to be "old chestnuts", songs that are well-known across a relatively broad age segment, which favours songs that are a least one or two decades old.
As for John Denver, "Country Roads" is still a song you frequently hear sung at karaokes or at parties in Germany when the alcohol intake reaches a certain level. :-)
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

I prefer subtitles, whether fiction or not, to hear the linguistic diversity. That is a problem (among others) in Braveheart and the little I have seen of Outlaw King. They do not seem to have Scottish accents let alone Scots, Gaelic or French.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am I prefer subtitles, whether fiction or not, to hear the linguistic diversity. That is a problem (among others) in Braveheart and the little I have seen of Outlaw King. They do not seem to have Scottish accents let alone Scots, Gaelic or French.
In that same vein, I enjoyed the Latin in Barbarians, but I feel it's too bad the Germans speek modern German and not reconstructed proto-Germanic.

A Tiffany case from the medieval cookbook I mentioned over at another thread: it has a recipe for almond milk.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:19 am In that same vein, I enjoyed the Latin in Barbarians, but I feel it's too bad the Germans speek modern German and not reconstructed proto-Germanic.
That was actually discussed a bit on this board. Shortly - the Germanic tribes speak German because the series was made for the German market and are supposed to be the viewpoint characters with whom the viewers are supposed to sympathise. And looking at the mess the producers made with the Germanic personal names, I wouldn't trust them with reconstructing 1st century AD West Germanic.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 amShortly - the Germanic tribes speak German because the series was made for the German market and are supposed to be the viewpoint characters with whom the viewers are supposed to sympathise.
Too bad it's live-action... otherwise they could have use the method Astérix et les Goths used: draw the word balloons in Fraktur.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

zompist wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm
hwhatting wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 amShortly - the Germanic tribes speak German because the series was made for the German market and are supposed to be the viewpoint characters with whom the viewers are supposed to sympathise.
Too bad it's live-action... otherwise they could have use the method Astérix et les Goths used: draw the word balloons in Fraktur.
That only works if they're Goths!

(For those unfamiliar with the album and/or French, the use of Fraktur is a stealth pun; Fraktur is called gothique in French.)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:43 am
zompist wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:01 pm
That only works if they're Goths!

(For those unfamiliar with the album and/or French, the use of Fraktur is a stealth pun; Fraktur is called gothique in French.)
Well, the joke works even without that, since Fraktur was still commonly used by Germans till WWII.

It also works in English-- most people would understand "Gothic" as referring to Fraktur. Ironically typographers use Gothic for sans-serif fonts.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

zompist wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:05 am
It also works in English-- most people would understand "Gothic" as referring to Fraktur. Ironically typographers use Gothic for sans-serif fonts.
Ah, that's what the Gothic in Century Gothic is for!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just learned that the novel Vice Versa was published in 1882, and the general body swap genre is even older.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Without looking it up, place these inventions in chronological order:

1) The ball-point pen
2) The fucking X-ray gun!!!
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:31 pm Without looking it up, place these inventions in chronological order:

1) The ball-point pen
Based on you asking in this thread, I guess it's 2) - 1).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:49 am
Moose-tache wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:31 pm Without looking it up, place these inventions in chronological order:

1) The ball-point pen
Based on you asking in this thread, I guess it's 2) - 1).
I knew it was 2) - 1), but Moose asking this question makes it certain that that was the intended answer.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
alice

Post by alice »

But was it clarified that it was the subvariety of X-ray gun capable of coition? Surely that would make a difference.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

alice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:35 pm But was it clarified that it was the subvariety of X-ray gun capable of coition? Surely that would make a difference.
The invention of X, and the application of X to human coitus, are usually separated by a gap measured in seconds, going back to Ogg, who invented both the bone, and the bone with grooves gnawed into it for her pleasure.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pm
alice wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:35 pm But was it clarified that it was the subvariety of X-ray gun capable of coition? Surely that would make a difference.
The invention of X, and the application of X to human coitus, are usually separated by a gap measured in seconds, going back to Ogg, who invented both the bone, and the bone with grooves gnawed into it for her pleasure.
Depends. In 1973 Paul Lauterbur published the first MRI images, but it took until 1999 for the first MRI image of a couple having sex in an MRI machine to be published.

Edit: added more to my sentence.
Last edited by Travis B. on Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:34 pmIn 1973 Paul Lauterbur published the first MRI images, but it took until 1999 for the first MRI image of a couple having sex in an MRI machine to be released to the public.
Why didn't you finish your sentence?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:13 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:34 pmIn 1973 Paul Lauterbur published the first MRI images, but it took until 1999 for the first MRI image of a couple having sex in an MRI machine to be released to the public.
Why didn't you finish your sentence?
Just a minor thinko, that's all.
alice

Post by alice »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pm
Essentially, an offline instance of Rule 34, then.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.