Daily Creativity Thread

Topics that can go away
Moose-tache

Daily Creativity Thread

Post by Moose-tache »

I hope no one else has re-created this thread yet on the new board.
To start us off, enjoy a couple of maps I made of a small temperate island where my main conlang is spoken.
Here is a standard elevation map.
And here is a cheesy Tolkein-style map.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Pabappa

Re: Daily Creativity Thread

Post by Pabappa »

a small temperate island
Very small. I dont think Ive actually ever seen a map of such a small area. Very nicely done. Sometimes it's best to focus on details.

edit: I guess IM supposed to post something of my own? i guess i will post http://www.frathwiki.com/Political_parties_of_Teppala , but this isnt something i made in a day .... i work very slowly.
Glass Half Baked

Post by Glass Half Baked »

Here's a page of Peter Rabbit in Saava's native script.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

As you can probably tell from some of my other posts (I am not sure if this counts as daily creativity though, since I have been working on it since the end of last October) I am really happy with how my latest Forth implementation, zeptoforth is coming along. Now it is a pretty functional Forth, and it even has a working multitasker (a cooperative one, mind you, as is traditional for Forth multitaskers, even though I bet I could write a preemptive one if I really wanted to). Currently it runs just on the STM32L476 DISCOVERY board, as that is the only MCU board I own (my Raspberry Pi is not an MCU board by any means), even though it could be ported without much difficulty to other Cortex-M3 or M4 MCUs. I hope to create more extensive libraries for it at some point, such as a disassembler and an assembler (it already has the beginnings of a very basic assembler already)
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Glass Half Baked wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:16 pm Here's a page of Peter Rabbit in Saava's native script.

This is very nice, did you handwrite the lettering?
Glass Half Baked

Post by Glass Half Baked »

quinterbeck wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:26 am This is very nice, did you handwrite the lettering?
I do a lot of watercolor, but this was done with the regular brush tool in photoshop.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Glass Half Baked wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:16 pm Here's a page of Peter Rabbit in Saava's native script.

Imma pull a serali here and say that is one pretty scriptie. I have this feeling that a lot of conscripts that are rich in twirlies and loopdiloops (technical terms, mind you) are also overly complicated, but this one really strikes the balance.

I've not really been doing a lot (almost any) conlanging/worlding these last few years... but I've been doing plenty of piano and, lately, violoncello, which is creative too, i guess. Part of the reason I got the cello was to experiment with conmusic, but learning actual music has proven to be a lot more fun.

here's a noodle.
and a thing from an OST
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Those sound very professional to my untrained ears, Torco, nice work! But I think I speak for everyone when I say... step away from the piano and write some cello-based conworld music!
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

OMG MONEY

...oh, right, I can offer up this.
More: show
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Moose-tache wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 am Those sound very professional to my untrained ears, Torco, nice work! But I think I speak for everyone when I say... step away from the piano and write some cello-based conworld music!
Thanks! the good thing about the cello is that you get to play around with odd tunings and microtonal stuff, just intonation and so on. the bad thing is that the better you get at playing it, the more automatic 12TET becomes in your fingers.

shark, those are some fine ass bills. are those like QR codes? I know they're not exactly QR, but they look machine-readable af.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

Glass Half Baked wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:16 pmHere's a page of Peter Rabbit in Saava's native script.

https://i.imgur.com/XSU26HW.png
I love that natural variation in stroke stress.
Moose-tache wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 amThose sound very professional to my untrained ears, Torco, nice work! But I think I speak for everyone when I say... step away from the piano and write some cello-based conworld music!
Huh? What cello? I only heard piano in his two samples.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Well, I've been playing around at the piano for something like three years, whereas I've only had my cello for one and a bit: the unfortunate consequence of this is that I _can_ produce nice-sounding things at the piano, and not at the cello. Not only that, but it's a remarkably hard instrument to learn! I've gained a great appreciation for the skill of classical musicians.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Torco wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 am shark, those are some fine ass bills. are those like QR codes? I know they're not exactly QR, but they look machine-readable af.
Thanks!

You're asking about the symbols at the bottom-left? They're more meant as a tactile feature for the blind/visually impaired, akin to on the current series of Polish złoty notes (with a different symbol for each denomination).
aka vampireshark
Torco

Post by Torco »

No, no, I hadn't even noticed those tbh. That's a cool touch tho. The ones I mean are those geometrical, black-and-white blocky patterns that aren't representational and that have rotational symmetry: the ones the little birdie with the palm crown is looking at.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

...oh, those! That's actually a perfect registration device. So you have a banknote here:

If it were real and you held it up to light, you see that a clear, full image appears:
aka vampireshark
Torco

Post by Torco »

neato
alice

Post by alice »

Obviously, some people have too much free time on their hands... but seriously, those banknotes are really nice, and the Peter Rabbit script is charming.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Risla

Post by Risla »

I have just successfully baked a beautiful little loaf of bread…in my 19 square meter apartment that does not even have a counter (none!), let alone an oven. I put the dough on the bottom of a preheated pot for a minute so it wouldn't drip down, then transferred it onto the steamer trivet from my pressure cooker so it wouldn't burn and let it stay in the pot for half an hour. Came out great.
akam chinjir

Post by akam chinjir »

That's awesome.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yes, it is.