Some Verdurian typos

Almea and the Incatena
So Haleza Grise

Some Verdurian typos

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Eto e řoagoläm!

In the conjugation tables, the past anterior forms for se are listed as lelai, baďru, elirao when they should be lelnerai, baďreu, elircerao and the past anterior le form for baďir should be baďreeu. These crop up in the morphological summary page as well.

In a couple of places, the word for I'm sorry is given as dolorai when I think it should be pyeru - in the list of expressions, and in the sentence with ci-katy e soei Dalui.

Some of the irregular forms in the present tense aren't bolded: luo, šris. Also, a lot of elements in the derivational morphology section aren't bolded, but maybe deliberately? I think many of them are OV or Caď. rather than Verdurian.

I think Ya ivricao <So tombam Abolineronië> should actually be Ya ívricao <So tombam Abolineronië>.

"In both cases the role is given, but with the nominative it’s being asserted as pragmatically relevant— because someone is in this role, something follows, or an imperative or performative may be given. (Also, you can use še dalum for a hypothetical, but še dalum only if the subject of the sentence is in fact king.) "

I think here in the first case it should be še dalun and in the second case še dalu.

I think the sentence Lübor miže soan frälinan. is missing an <ar>.
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Some Verdurian typos

Post by zompist »

OK, typos should be corrected.

("Dolorai" goes back to before the Great Relexification... that was an error in the old grammar too!)
vegfarandi

Post by vegfarandi »

Seems like the following example has the wrong case on the complement of esan:
So imlelel fue abbosát viminen.
the concert be.past-3s success-acc Viminian-dat
The concert was a success for the Viminian.
Success should be nom., rather than acc., right?
Duriac Threadhe/him
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Super minor:
Soa ďeletá e lyö imbušäma. Mira sen ilat rälne.
the-f sauce be-3s very tasty-f / mother I-dat she-acc cook-past-3s
The sauce is very tasty. My mother cooked it.
The dictionary lists ďeletá as "dessert" and a different word altogether as "sauce".
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

Soa ďeletá e lyö imbušäma. Mira sen ilat rälne.
the-f sauce be-3s very tasty-f / mother I-dat she-acc cook-past-3s
The sauce is very tasty. My mother cooked it.
Also, why you need "ilat". Can't you use "Mira sen rälne"?
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
So Haleza Grise

Akangka wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 am Also, why you need "ilat". Can't you use "Mira sen rälne"?
Pronomial subjects are optional in Verdurian. Objects are not (see under "subject position", just before this example). Mira sen rälne means "my mother cooked", as in English. It doesn't specify what was cooked.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Typos fixed.

(And SHG's answer is correct.)
Arkasas

Post by Arkasas »

These are more Sarnáe/Dhekhnam typos, but I figured this was the best thread to put them in. Perhaps they can start a cold war with the Verdurian typos?

- The Atlas says (in 1750) that Ilďaneas died and was succeeded by his nephew; Almeopedia says that he was succeeded by Belgovileas, who is also said to be his son. A couple other Almeopedia pages support the latter interpretation.
- With regard to the city of Ilďaneas, there are conflicting reports as to the modern name - the Sarroc and Dhekhnami lexicons say it should be Iďianeha and Idhanash, respectively, but the Dhekhnam map and Almeopedia page call it Ilzanea and Izame. (That looks like it goes back a ways - it's Izame on the Drilldown map, too, which is pre-Reclimatization.)
- for whatever reason, the language map on that same page of the Drilldown is broken.

(Also, have the Verdurian borough pages always had their maps on them, or is that a recent addition? I hadn't recalled them being there before, and was quite pleased to see them - they're really quite nice.)
there's not an n
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Thanks for pointing these out!

The Atlas has to take precedence here, since it's printed. So the other articles have been corrected. I took the opportunity to add a biography of Belgovileas, and also Ervea's grandfather Aerbelgo and how he somehow founded a dynasty.

You're right that Izame/Ilzanea were earlier forms. They should be removed from the Almeopedia, but I didn't redo the maps yet. The drilldown map is fixed though (it was just missing on the server).

The borough maps are from a few years back. They are excerpts from a giant Illustrator file which is, IIRC, about 12 by 12 feet. I was happy to get every street named!
Arkasas

Post by Arkasas »

Ah, truly there is no greater joy than inducing zomp to post content. Now I can brag to all my friends!

A couple more weird issues:

- Nusisponos is listed twice in the ruler box... but what's really interesting is how the article is duplicated within itself!
- the earlier emperor articles have the predecessor switched with the guy the article is about (in the preceded by/succeeded by box at the bottom)
- in that same box in Sevurias's article, his successor is ErvëaII
- wasn't there a Caďinorian ruler list at one point? It doesn't seem to have made it to the present Almeopedia - did you pull it intentionally?

Overall, though, I remain amazed by your conworlding skill (and also kind of wish there was a book about Ervëa, dead trees and all - 1600s Caďinas, IMO, is one of the more compelling parts of Almea). Vive le zompist!
there's not an n
So Haleza Grise

Arkasas wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:35 pm - wasn't there a Caďinorian ruler list at one point? It doesn't seem to have made it to the present Almeopedia - did you pull it intentionally?
It exists in dead tree form as an appendix to the Atlas :)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Some of these problems are fixed. :P Still have to figure out the double-article-- I thought I fixed it, but nope. It's trickier because I'm having cache problems: on my Mac, I don't get the latest files I've uploaded. I see them on the PC though.

Glad you like the 1600s. I'm happy I finally got to Sevurias's story. Dude just didn't know what he was up against...
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Found the problem: it really was two copies of the article.

And the Mezinë dynasty is done, taking the story from 1556 to 1839.
Arkasas

Post by Arkasas »

More emperors! And empresses! Have you had this material sitting around for a few years/decades, or did the muse strike you?

Couple lingering issues:

- the Verdurian reflex of Andeoraďa varies by page (Anďorada for the first, Andoraďa for the second - the list of rulers I've found and the Caďinor to Verdurian sound changes suggest the latter is right.)
- at the end of Andeoraďa II, Erbelaica should probably be Aerbelgo, and her years ruled should have a - rather than an =
EDIT: oh, and the pronunciation guide on Keadau's page is borked like most of the others used to be

Also, I don't know if you intend to continue with this project, but I'm curious about Lirfili and why she got deified, other than "we need to deify a woman, too, and she's the only one we've got!" which admittedly seems unlikely.
there's not an n
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Thanks again for the corrections (and for reading).

This is new material, and I will probably add more monarchs (including Lirfili), but today I added plays instead.
So Haleza Grise

Sevurias' fleet must have been different to the mediterranean galleys the Greeks and Romans used. My understanding is that such ships were not anchored at night at all; instead, they would be beached and the crews would sleep on the shore (it always conjures up to me the image of the Greek camp around their ships in the Iliad).

Incidentally, we know what Aerivileas' name was in Caďinor. But what is Sevurias' name in Verdurian?
So Haleza Grise

Small typo in Andeoraďa's entry: "arrowa" instead of "arrows" just before the "Legacy" section.
So Haleza Grise

I think the grammar should say that siča represents the Russian imperfective, not perfective.

Also there's something that I am not sure is a typo or a genuine change: according to the morphological summary and the main grammar, nouns in -o now have accusatives in singular -om instead of -am. If that is a change to the grammar, there are quite a few places where (e.g.) Ihanam will have to be changed to Ihanom but I can help find those.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

OK, fixes made. I think I may have intended to regularize the accusatives for -o nouns, but I think I'll keep them as -am.

Also, there's a new entry for Lirfilis.
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Almeopedia wrote:There is no article yet for Lirfilis.
Some typo!