A monosyllable equivalent to 'once' can be repeated to express rhythm

Conworlds and conlangs
Hyolobrika

A monosyllable equivalent to 'once' can be repeated to express rhythm

Post by Hyolobrika »

For example, "The password is to knock once-once, once-once". That would describe a particular way of knocking 4 times.
My name is meant to be pronounced [çɔˈlɔːbrɪkʌ], but you can pronounce it any way you like.
The initial palatal fricative can be replaced by [hj] and the final vowel by [a] (I think that's the right IPA symbol).
---
Fiat verba, fiat grammatica, fiat lingua!
So Haleza Grise

Re: A monosyllable equivalent to 'once' can be repeated to express rhythm

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Like "da" used to vocalise rhythms in English? Shave and a haircut goes: "DA da da DA da, da da".

Morse code is (was?) customarily vocalised with "dit" for "dot" and "da" for "dash."
Hyolobrika

Re: A monosyllable equivalent to 'once' can be repeated to express rhythm

Post by Hyolobrika »

So Haleza Grise wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:48 am Like "da" used to vocalise rhythms in English? Shave and a haircut goes: "DA da da DA da, da da".
Yep, that's right except in (my) English you have to put "like this" plus a pause in front.
I must have been inspired by that without knowing it (or with?), a bit like cryptamnesia.
My name is meant to be pronounced [çɔˈlɔːbrɪkʌ], but you can pronounce it any way you like.
The initial palatal fricative can be replaced by [hj] and the final vowel by [a] (I think that's the right IPA symbol).
---
Fiat verba, fiat grammatica, fiat lingua!