Sound Change Quickie Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

New forum, new thread. Post your sound change questions here folks. Old thread by dhok here.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
malloc

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by malloc »

Does it make sense to collapse /l/ in the coda with /n/? Some people have cited Thai as an example, but I have found little discussion of this in linguistic papers.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Yes it does. Codas are very collapsible and /l/ and /n/ aren't very far from each other (both are coronal sonorants)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
Raholeun

Post by Raholeun »

Yes, it does. It happened in Hittite too, albeit word initally*. PBase mentions Koromfé as a language where /l/ >[n] happens as a synchronic change in phrase final coda's.

*Apparently Wiktionary thinks the dissimilation was *m -> l. Judge for yourself.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

l > n also happens in some Algonquian languages, I believe.

How about unconditional /g/ > /ʒ/ > /j/?
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
malloc

Post by malloc »

Arabic famously has unconditional /g/ > /dʒ/ and leniting that to /j/ seems pretty straightforward.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

How about unconditional ʃ ʒ > ç ʝ?
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Definitely can see that
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

If a language undergoes a sound change that collapses /a/ and /ɒ/ into a single phoneme, how would the new phoneme best be written? Or would it depend on what the new "default" for the phoneme is?
A cat and a linguist.
mèþru

Post by mèþru »

Most people would write /a/. I generally use what I imagine the most common realisation of a phoneme is (not necessarily the prototype) unless if I'm lazy.
kårroť
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

From what I've seen, if a language has just one open vowel, it will be transcribed /a/
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

[/quote]Im not sure I believe in an unconditional shift like this. Semitic languages have shifts that are tied to their morphology, and are unlikely to occur in all environments in other languages. This would probably work best if the lanbga\\age has only a few types of environments ... e.g. it's either all CVCV, or allCVCVC but with grammar that can expose the final C's to vowerls as well.

but if the language has a syllable structure comparable to that of Standard Average European, i would advise against this. the first step /g/ > /ʒ/ is possible, but i dont think an unconditional /ʒ/ > /j/ can happen if it would result in consonant clusters flipping sonority. e.g. /glas/ > */jlas/. So if you dont have these types of clutsrs to begin with i htink it would be OK, or if you allow exceptions for rare caseslike these clusters it would be OK.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

mèþru wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 pm Most people would write /a/. I generally use what I imagine the most common realisation of a phoneme is (not necessarily the prototype) unless if I'm lazy.
Ars Lande wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm From what I've seen, if a language has just one open vowel, it will be transcribed /a/
I was leaning toward /a/ myself and will just make notes about it.
A cat and a linguist.
Dē Graut Bʉr

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm
Im not sure I believe in an unconditional shift like this. Semitic languages have shifts that are tied to their morphology, and are unlikely to occur in all environments in other languages. This would probably work best if the lanbga\\age has only a few types of environments ... e.g. it's either all CVCV, or allCVCVC but with grammar that can expose the final C's to vowerls as well.

but if the language has a syllable structure comparable to that of Standard Average European, i would advise against this. the first step /g/ > /ʒ/ is possible, but i dont think an unconditional /ʒ/ > /j/ can happen if it would result in consonant clusters flipping sonority. e.g. /glas/ > */jlas/. So if you dont have these types of clutsrs to begin with i htink it would be OK, or if you allow exceptions for rare caseslike these clusters it would be OK.
Actually, Central Franconian (or at least some varieties of it) do have /g/ (or /ɣ/?) > /j/ resulting in clusters like /jl/.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Im not sure I believe in an unconditional shift like this. Semitic languages have shifts that are tied to their morphology, and are unlikely to occur in all environments in other languages. This would probably work best if the lanbga\\age has only a few types of environments ... e.g. it's either all CVCV, or allCVCVC but with grammar that can expose the final C's to vowerls as well.

Well, if it helps the language in question is indeed triliteral and thus highly analogized, and it also has a syllable structure of CVC, thus no initial clusters.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Another issue in my project is glide hardening. I have long planned on the glides /v j/ hardening to obstruents in certain positions. It seems obvious that /v/ would harden to /p/ given their shared place, but it seems less clear what obstruent /j/ should become. Presumably it should harden into a palatal stop, but the language has no such phoneme. Thus far, I have considered hardening it to /s/ since that seems the closest equivalent and grouping /s/ with /j/ greatly simplifies my plans for a featural script. Yet that seems difficult to justify without invoking tenuous similarities (both are laminal coronals, /j/ often turns other consonants into sibilants, and so forth).
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

No, I think that works.

Consider PIE *ty > proto-Greek *ts > Attic s
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

/s/ works; /j/ > /z/ is certainly attested. /k/ could also work, I think.
malloc

Post by malloc »

I found a book preview on Google Books that mentions some connections between /s/ and palatals in passing. Apparently some languages in South America even have [s] as an allophone of /j/, although the preview doesn't include the name of the reference for this.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

*v *j > b ɟ is attested in Nganasan. /d g/ only occur natively from consonant gradation.

In Nivkh, there's initial lenition in certain environments. /tʰ t/ lenite to /r̥ r/, and /cʰ c/ lenite to /s z/.

There doesn't have to be a firm distinction between fricatives and affricates; some languages in East Asia don't make this distinction, and have word-initial clusters that look like /rb-/, /jl-/, etc.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.