Cultural minorities in Eretald

Almea and the Incatena
romddude

Cultural minorities in Eretald

Post by romddude »

Are there any very small cultural minorities in Eretald (or the rest of Ereláe) that wouldn't be shown in the 3480 linguistic map or feature much in history due to their very small size. Something like the Aromanians of the Balkans or contemporary Assyrians in the ME?
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Cultural minorities in Eretald

Post by zompist »

Yes, but I don't have a list right now. :) I've already mentioned groups of Lácaturans and Arašei, as well as migrating Ismaîn and Kebreni in the cities.

The most likely source are nomadic remnants— Caizuran, Eluye-Makši, or Somoyi— left over from their various sweeps of the Plain.

It's also likely that some of what I've called Verdurian dialects are really separate languages, especially in the south.
romddude

Post by romddude »

Interesting, in terms of the nomadic people I imagine you mean mostly after 3480 or were Caizurans a minority in their kingdom from its inception? Also I did not know there are still Arašei around that didn't subscribe to Eled'át, very cool.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

romddude wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:04 pm Interesting, in terms of the nomadic people I imagine you mean mostly after 3480 or were Caizurans a minority in their kingdom from its inception? Also I did not know there are still Arašei around that didn't subscribe to Eled'át, very cool.
Ah no, I meant way before 3480. :) The Caizurans and Curiyans are survival of nomadic conquerors, but there may be smaller pockets.

In the Almea+400 era, especially in the 3600s, you get immigrant groups from just about anywhere on Almea, the Tellinorese being the most numerous.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

This discussion reminds me of my own conworld, Atla, where my current diachronic conlangs are set. Atla (Old Albic 'World') is a version of the consensus reality with some extra languages. The idea is that some of the "secret languages" of traditional subcultures (such as travelling showmen, pedlars, shepherds etc.) are not just jargons, ciphers or language games but actual residual members of lost linguistic strata, such as Continental Celtic or pre-Indo-European languages. (The Hesperic languages, to which Old Albic belong, represent a hypothetical branch of Indo-European, coordinate to Anatolian, spoken by the Bell Beaker people, later to be clobbered by Italic, Celtic and Germanic.)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages