Uralic

For the Index Diachronica project
Tropylium

Uralic

Post by Tropylium »

Since there's activity going on with the Index again, this should be a good place to note a few of my projects & plans (and to remind myself):

1) I spent the lion's share of the last academic year assembling an overview bibliography on Uralic historical phonology: first version here. (There was also a recorded talk about this which should be appering within some months, in Finnish though.) Feel free to also ask me here or anywhere else if you're after more specific references for anything on the topic!

2) For a while now I've been considering reformatting my old indices of Finnic sound changes at FrathWiki (perhaps also some of the other notes) with more referencing, and at some bit less conlang-specific venue. The earlier thought has been to just transfer them as-is to the Language Bank of Finland's wiki where I am e.g. building a bibliographic database of Uralic, but then I might also look into formatting them into this project's current GitHub format. Would be good for learning the ropes about it I'm sure, both the ID project specifically and GH in general. Anyone have preferences on what language(s) to focus on first, btw?

3) not extremely Uralic-specific but I've also been, more vaguely, already considering some work on sound change typology as an eventual post-doc project, and database work would fit into it well. The timeline is that I am (precariously) on track to defend my PhD 2025 or 2026, and will have a couple years of work in other projects lined up too before any larger project of my own would be starting, so this would probably be happening towards the end of the decade at the earliest. Better to mention this sooner rather than later though!
fusijui

Re: Uralic

Post by fusijui »

This is really nice; thank you for sharing it with us here!

It's a good example of the kind of 'Index Diachronica' resources I think I would benefit from the most, too. I mean, I can definitely see the value of a 'database' model for those who want to look up specific sound-changes, for whatever reasons; it's just that for my reasons -- conlanging and what little natlanging I still pretend to do -- the 'annotated guide' model seems more useful.

Don't know if I'll ever "need" to read Uralic historical linguistics, but this is going straight into my hard drive just in case :D