Most popular song in each language

Natural languages and linguistics
vlad

Most popular song in each language

Post by vlad »

I've been trying to make a list of the most popular song in each language. I'm primarily using Spotify plays as the measure of popularity, though that might not be representative for certain songs.

It's hard because most sites/services do not let you search by language or identify the language at all, people on the internet misidentify the language, and sometimes the lyrics are wrong. Also Spotify doesn't let you sort by most plays, it just shows "popular" songs, which may not be the ones with the most plays.

This is what I've come up with so far. Probably there are more popular songs than the ones listed here that I've missed, and there are languages I don't have a song for yet.

Last edited by vlad on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Man in Space

Re: Most popular song in each language

Post by Man in Space »

That’s cool! The Weeknd taking top honors in English does surprise me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:51 am The Weeknd taking top honors in English does surprise me.
Same, though that might be a sign of my age.
xxx

Post by xxx »

thank you for sharing, nice discoveries....
Elancholia

Post by Elancholia »

vlad wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am
I think the biggest lesson of this bullet point is that the Chinese internet doesn't use Spotify. (And possibly that Cantonese-speakers use it more than Mandarin-speakers.)
vlad

Post by vlad »

Elancholia wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:16 pm
vlad wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am
I think the biggest lesson of this bullet point is that the Chinese internet doesn't use Spotify. (And possibly that Cantonese-speakers use it more than Mandarin-speakers.)
Could also be that there's some other more popular Mandarin songs that I just haven't found yet.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

That Welsh-language entry is unexpected. I wonder if maybe it was used in a video game or something, in addition to the movie?

Equating "song" with a manifestation of a work (to use FRBR terminology) also skews the numbers in a particular way, away from traditional tunes and old standards which have been recorded by many different artists and towards recent pop hits. (Just adding up the viewing numbers for a clutch of videos of "Yma o hyd", the unofficial anthem of the Welsh national football team, I quickly get to nearly 7 million.)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I'm pretty sure no one goes to Spotify to listen to Bengali songs. I'm getting a higher view count by searching YouTube for "bengali OR bangla OR বাংলা song" and sorting by views: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... p=CAM%253D
xxx

Post by xxx »

we should all come up with our favourite song in every language...
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:51 am That Welsh-language entry is unexpected. I wonder if maybe it was used in a video game or something, in addition to the movie?

Equating "song" with a manifestation of a work (to use FRBR terminology) also skews the numbers in a particular way, away from traditional tunes and old standards which have been recorded by many different artists and towards recent pop hits. (Just adding up the viewing numbers for a clutch of videos of "Yma o hyd", the unofficial anthem of the Welsh national football team, I quickly get to nearly 7 million.)
Welsh-language popular music is like an underground movement in Wales. Right now, in February 2024 I'd say that Dafydd Iwan's "Yma o Hyd" is probably the most popular Cymraeg song, though maybe not reflected on Spotify. Of all Cymraeg popular music, however, songs like "Sosban Fach" have been performed and recorded by so many people in so many iterations that I'd be very surprised if it's not actually the most popular. But I suppose we'll never really know. If you went out into the streets of Wales and conducted a survey asking people what their favourite Welsh-language song is I suspect "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" (the Welsh national anthem) would come out on-top.

I should also add that "Yma o Hyd" is more the unofficial anthem of the Welsh football fans rather than the team. Kinda how "Hymns and Arias" is the unofficial anthem of the Welsh rugby fans. "Yma o Hyd" is also adding fuel to the Welsh independence movement, which in turn is making the song more popular. It's been in-and-out of the public consciousness since it was released, becoming popular whenever something anti-Westminster happens in Wales.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social