I can’t log on to the CBB.

Topics that can go away
TomHChappell

I can’t log on to the CBB.

Post by TomHChappell »

They added a CAPTCHA which was in fine print, so I got it wrong too many times and my account was suspended.
Also, they fixed it so you can’t see users’ IDs nor profiles nor e-mail addresses unless you’re logged on,
So I can’t write to the admins, which is what they say to do if you can’t logon.

…..

Can anyone tell me the email address of the boardlord(s) of the CBB ?

Thanks!
xxx

Re: I can’t log on to the CBB.

Post by xxx »

not for me, I access as usual...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

xxx wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 am not for me, I access as usual...
Could you, as a CBB user, get the boardlord's email address?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

TomHChappell wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:33 am They added a CAPTCHA which was in fine print, so I got it wrong too many times and my account was suspended.
Also, they fixed it so you can’t see users’ IDs nor profiles nor e-mail addresses unless you’re logged on,
So I can’t write to the admins, which is what they say to do if you can’t logon.

…..

Can anyone tell me the email address of the boardlord(s) of the CBB ?

Thanks!
I just love all the misguided crap websites inflict upon one all in the name of teh securitah...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I just logged in to the CBB, and everything was as usual; no captcha, no problem of any kind.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:05 am
TomHChappell wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:33 am They added a CAPTCHA which was in fine print
I just love all the misguided crap websites inflict upon one all in the name of teh securitah...
phpBB boards don't add captchas because of teh securitah, they add it because of teh spammaz.

Before I put in the secret question, spammers would register accounts at unbelievable rates. And then, if allowed, post spam.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:39 pm
Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:05 am
TomHChappell wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:33 am They added a CAPTCHA which was in fine print
phpBB boards don't add captchas because of teh securitah, they add it because of teh spammaz.

Before I put in the secret question, spammers would register accounts at unbelievable rates. And then, if allowed, post spam.
But this was on login, not on account registration, from what I gather, and seems to have been a good attempt at human-proofing the board considering that Tom got locked out.

But yeah, many websites do things that are needless that make them harder to use while adding no real security, such as requiring N number of special characters in one's password.

Of course, conversely, you see websites that require things like that one's password start and end with a letter and not contain certain characters, which betrays that the website is not properly implementing certain things (which from a security standpoint is scary - are they storing your password in plaintext, are they trying to do a half-assed job of preventing SQL injection attacks?).
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:08 am I just logged in to the CBB, and everything was as usual; no captcha, no problem of any kind.
Thanks! I’ll try again.

BTW @Travis: I also encountered the CAPTCHA when trying to register a new account.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:08 am I just logged in to the CBB, and everything was as usual; no captcha, no problem of any kind.
I’m still locked out for too many failed attempts.
Also, when I try to register a new account, every answer to the anti-spammer CAPTCHA question is “incorrect”; including the answer that was “correct” before.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

Maybe I should just ditch the CBB, and become active here again instead?
But I’ve lost so much work!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

TomHChappell wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:06 am But I’ve lost so much work!
Sorry to hear that.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

It should have been resolved now :) Pabappa got in touch with me and another moderator, but mods don't have the right permissions to do that sort of thing, so we forwarded on the message to the two admins, and one of them has done a reset to TomHChappell' login attempts :)
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

sangi39 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:57 pm It should have been resolved now :) Pabappa got in touch with me and another moderator, but mods don't have the right permissions to do that sort of thing, so we forwarded on the message to the two admins, and one of them has done a reset to TomHChappell' login attempts :)
There were two attempts by admins.
(The first one changed things but still didn’t let me log on.)
The second attempt worked! I’ve logged on and replied to some things!

Thanks, everybody!