"healthful"

Natural languages and linguistics
Space60

"healthful"

Post by Space60 »

Have you ever heard the word "healthful" used? I have seen some usage guides that recommended for people to be referred to as "healthy", but vegetables to be referred to as "healthful", however I have never heard the word "healthful" in speech before and very rarely have I ever seen it written.

Ordinarily "healthy" is used for both meanings.
kodé

Re: "healthful"

Post by kodé »

Space60 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm Have you ever heard the word "healthful" used? I have seen some usage guides that recommended for people to be referred to as "healthy", but vegetables to be referred to as "healthful", however I have never heard the word "healthful" in speech before and very rarely have I ever seen it written.

Ordinarily "healthy" is used for both meanings.
“Healthful” sounds like someone’s trying to sell me a diet solution ;)

In all seriousness, though, you’re right that most speakers (in English dialects I’m aware of) use “healthy” everywhere. Whenever “healthful” is used, though, it’s not for people. So I’d say it’s more restricted on what it can modify (in addition to being much less common).
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

It's a valid and plausible formation that I don't think we'd say in non-contrived contexts. My first thought is that it sounds Indian. But there are prescriptivists who prefer it.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I practically never hear "heathful" myself, unlike "healthy", which is used liberally to refer to everything under the sun.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

"Healthful" is actually the older word.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

zompist wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:01 pm "Healthful" is actually the older word.
Yes. The words "healthy" and "healthful" were once used interchangeably for both meanings and eventually the word "healthful" went extinct in ordinary speech. No distinction between meanings for the words "healthy" and "healthful" was made until the 1880s and it has always been a learned distinction, not one that people natively make.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

English L2 speaker. I think this thread might be the first time I've seen the word "healthful". Older word or not, it sounds like Newspeak to me.
Emily

Post by Emily »

similarly i don't think i've ever encountered the word "delectable" outside of an advertisement
Space60

Post by Space60 »

I once heard a commercial for Beneful dog food where they said "healthful, flavorful, Beneful". They were of course using "healthful" because it ends the same way as "flavorful" and "Beneful".
äreo

Post by äreo »

I first encountered "healthful" in a textbook in elementary school and it rubbed me the wrong way.
Space60

Post by Space60 »

A high school textbook in health class had the word "healthful". The health teacher while reading out loud from the textbook changed it to "healthy", so even she found the word odd apparently.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I frankly don't think I've heard "healthful" outside the context of this thread, even though I believe the Beneful commercial.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.