Language change in real time

Natural languages and linguistics
Travis B.

Language change in real time

Post by Travis B. »

I have discussed the idiosyncrasies of my English to no end here, and from paying attention to my daughter's English I have noticed some differences from what I grew up with:
  • She uses central vowels more for /oʊ ʊ u/ as [ɵ̞ ʉ̞ ʉ] across the board in all environments where I have clear allophony between [o̞ ʊ u] and [ɵ̞ ʏ y].
  • She often has for /aʊ/ [æɔ~æo] where I have [ɑɔ~ʌo].
  • She often has for intervocalic /ð/ [ɾ] where I have [ð].
  • She seems to have for /ɑ/ free variation between [a] and [ɑ] where I have [a] except when adjacent to /r w h kw gw/ where I always have [ɑ]. Note that she is not cot-caught merged.
Has anyone else here noticed similar sound change "in real time" in their lects? (Well, properly my daughter does not speak quite the same lect as I do as I grew up in the inner suburbs of Milwaukee while she's growing up in a more outer suburb.)
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Moose-tache

Re: Language change in real time

Post by Moose-tache »

The /il/ > /Il/ change (e.g. "I fill bad about pilling the skin off electric ills") has gone from redneck coding to almost completely universal in North American English. I can't remember the last American I've met who doesn't do this, and so far not one of them has been aware that they do it.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:30 pm The /il/ > /Il/ change (e.g. "I fill bad about pilling the skin off electric ills") has gone from redneck coding to almost completely universal in North American English. I can't remember the last American I've met who doesn't do this, and so far not one of them has been aware that they do it.
Well, I don't have this, but because the phonemes work differently for me, i.e. I have a lax vowel in feel but I don't merge it with fill, since the former has [ɪɯ] while the latter has [ɘɯ].
Estav

Post by Estav »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:30 pm The /il/ > /Il/ change (e.g. "I fill bad about pilling the skin off electric ills") has gone from redneck coding to almost completely universal in North American English. I can't remember the last American I've met who doesn't do this, and so far not one of them has been aware that they do it.
It doesn't happen for me or for other NA speakers that I hear. I don't think of it as 'redneck' either--it's just not something that I've encountered outside of written descriptions of NA variation in pronunciation. It's a big continent I guess.

I think the merger of CURE into FUR /ə˞~ɜ˞/ might not have been complete for my parents or grandparents, but it is for me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Estav wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:24 am I think the merger of CURE into FUR /ə˞~ɜ˞/ might not have been complete for my parents or grandparents, but it is for me.
"CURE" is a bad lexical set to me because it treats /ʊr/ and /jʊr/ as the same when in fact they behave differently for me, and to my knowledge, for many North Americans. (I would call /ʊr/ "TOUR" myself.)

As for /jʊr/ for me it can be either [jʁ̩ˤ] or [juʁˤ] depending on register and stress (in sure the /j/ is transformed into palatalization, of course, and lure, while originally having this, for me and very others has merged with /ʊr/ and hence rhymes with tour).
Estav

Post by Estav »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:05 pm
Estav wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:24 am I think the merger of CURE into FUR /ə˞~ɜ˞/ might not have been complete for my parents or grandparents, but it is for me.
"CURE" is a bad lexical set to me because it treats /ʊr/ and /jʊr/ as the same when in fact they behave differently for me, and to my knowledge, for many North Americans. (I would call /ʊr/ "TOUR" myself.)

As for /jʊr/ for me it can be either [jʁ̩ˤ] or [juʁˤ] depending on register and stress (in sure the /j/ is transformed into palatalization, of course, and lure, while originally having this, for me and very others has merged with /ʊr/ and hence rhymes with tour).
For me words spelled with U like lure, rural, sure, centurion, endure have the same vowel as cure (FUR) despite not having [j]. Poor, boor, Moor, tour are in NORTH/FORCE, except I sometimes de-merge them and pronounce them with /uɚ/ instead if I feel like making a distinction.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Estav wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:27 pm
Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:05 pm

For me words spelled with U like lure, rural, sure, centurion, endure have the same vowel as cure (FUR) despite not having [j]. Poor, boor, Moor, tour are in NORTH/FORCE, except I sometimes de-merge them and pronounce them with /uɚ/ instead if I feel like making a distinction.
These aren't consistent for me because rural always has [ʁ̩ˤ] for me while centurion may have either [tɕʰʁ̩ˤ] or [tɕʷʰyʁˤ] and endure may have either [dʁ̩ˤ] or [dʷyʁˤ].

As for NORTH/FORCE, the only words for me that merge what I'd call TOUR with them are your (when stressed), as [jɔʁˤ], and moor in the names of the streets Moorland Rd. and Moorland Blvd. here in the Milwaukee area, which have [mɔʁˤ].
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Estav wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:24 am It doesn't happen for me...
Nor to me, but we as a breed are nearing extinction. It's been years since I heard someone on American TV pronounce "feel" with [il] instead of [Il].
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Arzena

Post by Arzena »

I replace /T/ with [f] in clusters with /r/ (ie, the three-free merger) more frequently then I expect. Have heard that this is a sound change found among other speakers of English too.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Veteran of the 1st ZBB 2006-2018
CA TX NYC
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Arzena wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:36 pm I replace /T/ with [f] in clusters with /r/ (ie, the three-free merger) more frequently then I expect. Have heard that this is a sound change found among other speakers of English too.
And apparently with pre-Latin as well, though the fricatives may have been voiced.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I personally realize test as /tɛst/ [tʰɜs]~[tʰɜsʲtʲ], with the plural /tɛsts/ [tʰɜsʲː], but I noticed today that my daughter pronounces tests as /ˈtɛsəz/ [ˈtʰɜsɘːs], implying that test for her is /tɛs/ [tʰɜs].
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

More stuff from my daughter: she very frequently pronounces I don't and I don't know as [ãːːʔ]~[ɑ̃ːːʔ] and [ˈãːːno̞(ː)]~[ˈɑ̃ːːno̞(ː)] respectively, much moreso than I do.
alice

Post by alice »

Obstruent consonants: an endangered species?
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:00 am Obstruent consonants: an endangered species?
More like alveolar flaps and nasals are an endangered species.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

alice wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:00 am Obstruent consonants: an endangered species?
More like several species. Individual ones may be threatened, but the niche will endure.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I notice the voice of Google Maps on my cell phone pronounces turn with [tɕʰ].
axolotl

Post by axolotl »

Weird thing, but I seem to remember the generic exclamation of fear/pain/etc, "aaaaaahhhhh," being consistently pronounced [æ:::] when I was a kid, but being much more often [ɑ:::] now. Or at least closer to it.
[ð̞͡ˠʟ] best sound
äreo

Post by äreo »

axolotl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:40 pm Weird thing, but I seem to remember the generic exclamation of fear/pain/etc, "aaaaaahhhhh," being consistently pronounced [æ:::] when I was a kid, but being much more often [ɑ:::] now. Or at least closer to it.
I think I remember this too.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

äreo wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:44 pm
axolotl wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:40 pm Weird thing, but I seem to remember the generic exclamation of fear/pain/etc, "aaaaaahhhhh," being consistently pronounced [æ:::] when I was a kid, but being much more often [ɑ:::] now. Or at least closer to it.
I think I remember this too.
Notably displayed in Frasier S4E15, “ Roz's Krantz & Gouldenstein Are Dead”, when Roz is chatting with the cool old lady under her charge near the end of the episode.
Darren

Post by Darren »

[æːːːːːːː] is what I would term a "Tom and Jerry ahh scream".